best - worst books?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are good comic books too... from people like moebius (the guy who designed the characters of Dune and The Fifth Element), Milo Manara, Dave McKean ("Arkham Assylum" :up:)

There's a illustration book named "Castles", by Alan Lee (Lord of the Ring's art director), there's a lot of Arthuric and Medieval leyends and cool watercolour paintings...

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

I read this book during the summer and it has stayed in my thoughts since then. Not to give away too much, but the story is told by a dead girl named Suzie Salmon who watches her family cope with her death. It is probably available at your local library.

theSoulfulMofo said:
Over the past few years, there's been a lot of copies of unabridged version of Monte Christo poppin in the bookstore shelves... Modern Library, Everyman, Oxford Classics

I just read your responses in this thread and now I'm curious which versions you and meegannie read, and why. I think mine was the Oxford Classics version. I chose it because it had nice endnotes and it was available in a fairly cheap paperback. :wink: However it still omits the chapter towards the end where the Count returns to the Chateau d'If and finds ... something, I can't remember. I know I read it in an abridged version and it is alluded to in the Oxford Classics version, but not included. Oh, well. I guess I could brush up on my rather dusty French and try to read the original.

for a good book you can't put down : lullaby by chuch palahniuk (sp? i know it's wrong...) or the virgin suicides by jeffrey euginides (actually never seen the movie...) or girl by blake nelson (it's more of a teen book, but whatever)
my classic choice : brave new world by aldous huxley (v. v. creepy, but good.
for a good laugh & a good look at life: any books by christopher moore... however, i especially like the lust lizard of melancholy cove, coyote blue or lamb:the gospel according to biff, christ's childhood pal --->only for people who can laugh freely at their own religion and realize that it's fiction, not true.
good book my sister made me read: Balzac and the Little Chinese seamstress by ? (i forget)
i'm working on reading cloud of sparrows - again i don't know who it's by, but it's one of my good friends favorite books so he's like, 'read it'....
all right,
peace, mirrorball2606

worst books?? are books bad? --->oh yeah, some are really bad...well....
the worst book i've ever read is Where the Red Fern grows... god that book should be burned... figuratively... don't burn books people, that's bad.
umm ---> i don't really like The Girl who loved Tom Gordon - stephen king... ya know. it's bad

Last edited:
The_Sweetest_Thing said:

I :heart: classics too, but I'm going to have to say that Aldous Huxley's Brave New World beats Orwell 1984 any day, at least imo.

gosh that is a big call, I loved both of these books, in fact 1984 and animal farm would be in my top ten books of all time. Personally I think that 1984 beats BNW in my opinion, I think that the character play between Winston, Julia and BB in 1984 is more well defined than the characters in BNW, although I do like BNW, I just think that Orwell wins out over Huxley in the 'Dystopian' genre.............

some other great books that I have loved,

One flew over the cookoos nest- Ken Keesey
The lord of the rings- Tolkien
Women- Charles Bukowski
Lolita- Vladimir Nabokov
Fiesta/The sun also rises- Ernest Hemingway
Knulp- Herman Hesse
anything by Oscar Wilde, both 'The nightingale and the rose' and 'The devoted friend', whilst they are only short stories, they are two of my most favourite pieces of writing, I just love how Wilde was able to convey so much emotion in his stories....

and I would also say anything by Roald Dahl, I am currently reading a big book of his filled with lots of short stories, he is without a doubt where Miss Rowling would of got her inspiration from. This collection of short stories that I am reading are just great, all of them have a very 'twilight zone' feel to them. Any of his children's books are great too, many of these I read as a child, but they are just fabulous. Personal faves were,
Georgies Marvellous medicine
the witches
Boy
Matilda....

and here is my list of 'classis' books that I want to read within the next 5 years ( I so wish that I could just read all day long!!!!)
Catch 22
stranger in a strange land
arabian nights
the power of one

and a couple of Aussie ones,
Johnno by David Malouf
Bliss by Peter Carey

and my all time most loathed novel was Jack Kerouac's 'On the Road' I perservered for so long with this novel, for a novel that is considered a modern classic, I just didnt get it:eyebrow:

i forgot to mention above one my favorite author's books..
ray bradbury's:
farenheit 451
dandelion wine
a graveyard for lunatics
martian chronicles
any short stories really --->although i absolutely love the april witch, the long rain and Usher II

peace, mirrorball2606

Back
Top Bottom