Best way to get into shape?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convoy

Acrobat
I was thinking today that I really want to start getting in better shape. I used to be fat when I was younger and now I'm more of rail thin. I want to start to put on more muscle mass. So I was thinking, where could I look for advise? I can't really search the net seeing as most of the time it will just be websites attempting to sell their products or workouts. So I come to here. What is the best way to get into shape and bulk up?

well, if you're looking to lose weight, crack is usually the best method.

as far as toning, honestly, just go to a gym and lift weights. start out with an easy program so you don't lose interest right away, and then work yourself up.

and if you're still concerned about your work ethic and consistancy, hire a personal trainer.

when I was trying to gain weight I drank a ton of milkshakes.

but my metabolism was so fast that I would burn off everything.

all I know of are weight gaining shakes that stores like GNC sell.

Do you belong to a gym?

to bulk up? do more conditioning and/or weight training.

I prefer conditioning over any other type of exercise, mostly b/c I'm a gymnast and that's what I'm used to, but it combines cardio, flexibility, and increasing muscle all at once and you don't have to spend money on belonging to a gym or buying weight equipment. I usually do stuff like push-ups, inverse push-ups, sit-ups, crunches, leg lifts, squats, lunges, jumping jacks, other ones that have weird names that I'd have to explain....just lots of simple but repetitive exercises you can do at home on a yoga mat. You're basically using your own body as a "weight" instead of buying weights. Make sure you do stretches before and after so you're less sore and don't injure a muscle!

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
to bulk up? do more conditioning and/or weight training.

I prefer conditioning over any other type of exercise, mostly b/c I'm a gymnast and that's what I'm used to, but it combines cardio, flexibility, and increasing muscle all at once and you don't have to spend money on belonging to a gym or buying weight equipment. I usually do stuff like push-ups, inverse push-ups, sit-ups, crunches, leg lifts, squats, lunges, jumping jacks, other ones that have weird names that I'd have to explain....just lots of simple but repetitive exercises you can do at home on a yoga mat. You're basically using your own body as a "weight" instead of buying weights. Make sure you do stretches before and after so you're less sore and don't injure a muscle!

Interesting. I've been meaning to bulk up for ages- I'm 6 feet tall and I only weigh 133 pounds, and I'm a guy. Can you really add mass without lifting weights? I'm interested in gaining weight, but I hate the idea of going to a gym to do it. I'd be such a hypocrite considering "Fight Club" is my fav. movie.

Citron said:

Interesting. I've been meaning to bulk up for ages- I'm 6 feet tall and I only weigh 133 pounds, and I'm a guy. Can you really add mass without lifting weights? I'm interested in gaining weight, but I hate the idea of going to a gym to do it. I'd be such a hypocrite considering "Fight Club" is my fav. movie.

oh yeah, I mean, I'm not a trainer or anything, but basically just use your own body as the weight. I suppose if you get really strong you might HAVE to use weights to get bigger if you need to lift more than you weigh. It's not so much of an issue for girls since we can lift less and our muscles don't get big nearly as fast. I've never lifted besides for PE requirements and when I competed I had a nice six pack of abs just from doing around 400 sit-ups/v-ups/crunches a day. Now I've been dormant at college for 1.5 yrs and have a nice layer of fat over everything, but I'm going to work it off when I have more time this summer.

oh yeah, I mean, I'm not a trainer or anything, but basically just use your own body as the weight. I suppose if you get really strong you might HAVE to use weights to get bigger if you need to lift more than you weigh. It's not so much of an issue for girls since we can lift less and our muscles don't get big nearly as fast. I've never lifted besides for PE requirements and when I competed I had a nice six pack of abs just from doing around 400 sit-ups/v-ups/crunches a day. Now I've been dormant at college for 1.5 yrs and have a nice layer of fat over everything, but I'm going to work it off when I have more time this summer.

six pack, huh? so where you staying this summer?:flirt:

Chizip said:
you should ask her boyfriend that :wink:

haha, yeah! he's twice your size so there! :tongue:

EDIT: he gains weight through the excessive ingestion of pizza and other pseudo-ethnic foods

Last edited:
WinnieThePoo said:
try running for a change , fresh air , 10 mins first week , next week 15 mins and so on till 1 hour , works 200 %

But doesn't running slim you down? I think Convoy is looking to increase in muscle mass, i.e. actually toning muscles instead of a cardio workout.

haha, yeah! he's twice your size so there! :tongue:

EDIT: he gains weight through the excessive ingestion of pizza and other pseudo-ethnic foods

twice my size. I'm like 8 inches.
it must be very painful for you. be careful.

convoy -

i gained 7-8 kgs in 6 months by lifting weights..i was 50 kgs..and then i became 60 kgs

lift weights at a gymn, eat food with protein. dont forget to do abs exercise for your tummy

for the 1st 4 months you wont gain weight but then you will gain weight rapidly

it's simple really

to bulk yourself up eat lots of protein and lift heavy

to cut yourself up, eat protein with normal carbs and alternate between heavy lifting and cardio

Back
Top Bottom