Best Vocalists in Music Today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
In your opinion, who are the best vocalists in music today - of any genre. Personal tastes aside, I know that I always marvel at an impressive vocal range.

I'll start :)

-For the ROCK genre, I'd say Bono and Chris Martin of Coldplay. Both have amazing vocal ranges: ability to go low and then reach a gorgeous falsetto easily. Stunning.

-For the POP genre, Christina Aguilera is an astounding vocalist. I've seen Pink live, and she has an impressive range as well.

What do you think?

Michael Stipe

then there is quite a gap
before Bono, Solomon Burke, Jon Spencer and the likes show up

In saying Bono, I fear that the "His voice isn't what it used to be" arguement will be dreged up. And while I love Bono's voice for the emotion that it conveys, I don't quite know how strong his vocal range is. Granted, I haven't heard him sing in a while, so he still may be quite capable of reaching the high/low notes. Although, I'm tempted to believe that his voice reached a peak in the late 80s (ISHFWILF) in the upper octaves...and while I feel that his voice isn't necessarily one of the strongest in music, it IS one of the most distinctive.

I guess it depends on how you define 'Best.'

Christ Martin's voice is one of the most distinctive in music right now. It's soft, it's melodic, and he has a gorgeous falsetto.

Sting conveys so much emotion through his music--with his voice--that it's almost impossible to exclude him from this list...

Again it depends on what's being implied by 'best.' Ryan Adams, Jakob Dylan, Jeff Martin, and Billy Corigan are artists whom I admire vocally (although I will admit that Billy whines), yet I'm not sure I'd ever classify them as best, as much as 'distinctive artists whom I admire.'

...as for women, as much as I hate to say it, I admire Christina Aguliera. She has such diversity and strength in her voice.

Sarah McLachlan is a wonderful performer who, again, has a unique voice and style that really brings something to her music. The same for Norah Jones and more recently, for me, Tori Amos.

Bono
Norah Jones

Hmmm. I can't seem to think of a third person to put on the list right now. There don't seem to be a lot of great vocalists around these days.

Good thread!

Bono

Eddie Vedder, I only like a few PJ songs, but his voice is one of my faves out there.

Lately, I like the singer from Calling - has something interesting IMO.

Honorable mention Michael Stipe.

I dunno - Chris Martin or Thom Yorke have interesting voices, but can come off whiny sometimes. Ugh @ Billy Corgan or the Audioslave singer.

As for women:

Alanis Morrisette

Chrissie Hynde from Pretenders

Dolores O'Riordan from Cranberries

Dido

Christina Aguilera does have a strong and interesting voice. I dont really mind her stuff either. Would never buy it, but it isn't as horrendous as some out there! Besides my voice is like gravel so I cant criticise :D

I like Jewel, another unique voice, but definately melodic I guess I'd describe it as.

Count me in for the Stipe appreciation too.

And even though I DETEST her music, Mariah Carey has one of the most incredible voices in current music circles. In the popular commecial scene she is unsurpassed. I spose having an Opera singing mother and being classically trained accounts for a lot!

I think Ed Kowalczyk has a good voice.

:drool: :yes: :up: :heart: I agree!!!
[q]Christ Martin's voice is one of the most distinctive in music right now. It's soft, it's melodic, and he has a gorgeous falsetto.

Sting conveys so much emotion through his music--with his voice--that it's almost impossible to exclude him from this list...[/q]

of course i am adding Bono

for the ladies: Christina, Pink, Mary J, Faith Hill, Norah Jones

Last edited:
Bono - he only gets better with age :sexywink:

Chris Martin - I was listening to Parachutes for the first time in a while last night and wow, his voice is absolutely beautiful :drool:

Norah Jones - :bow:

Christina A. - I don't like most of her song choices but she has a great voice

Mary J Blige...No More Drama still makes me cry...she conveys emotion like no one else

I'll have to agree with Angela Harlem about Mariah Carey...again, I'm not crazy about her song choices, but what an amazing voice

(less favorable to me, but technically superb I suppose)

Mariah Carey, Pink, Christina Aguilera.

I'm also fond of Dave Gahan from Depeche Mode.

Bono is definitely at the top for me. I also really like Thom Yorke, Chris Martin, and David Bowie -- they all have excellent voices. Thom Yorke, in particular, has the talent to make his voice blend in with the music and sound amazing. Oh, and Beck -- GREAT voice, really really love it, too, definitely one of my favourites. :)

Last edited:
I've never cared much for Stipe's vocals, works great on some songs though, and he definitely has more range than Bono or Mr. Paltrow and just about everyone else

Norah Jones has a great voice; so does Harry Connick, Jr.

Christina Aguilera has a fantastic voice. I also am not much of a Coldplay fan (nothing against them, I just haven't taken the time to get into them), but I've heard a few tracks, and Chris Martin does have a beautiful voice. I've also gotta go with Maja on Dave Gahan...I've been in love with his voice for years, and he still sounds wonderful.

PJ Harvey - she's probably at the top of her vocal powers right now, in studio or live. I saw her in concert a few weeks ago and found it hard to believe that so much power could come out of such a small frail woman, :)
Norah Jones
Beth Gibbons (formerly?) of Portishead
Beth Orton

Eddie Vedder - I'm not a fan of Pearl Jam, but I've decided that Eddie's got the coolest richest deep voice.
Bono - lost on the range but not on emotional impact, gained on control and phrasing.

you could forget about bjork because of all the other garbage circling around here with names like the calling and mr. paltrow. :wink:

bono is ace, no question about that.

i dont think thom yorke has that great of a voice compared to many other singers, but it sure can be beautiful when hes in top form.

billy corgan singing perfect is indeed, perfect.

and many many more.

You know, even though I like Coldplay, I don't really think Chris has all that great of a voice. It's pretty rough, IMO, but it's unique and flexible enough that it works for their stuff.

As for my list, da girls:
Diana Krall
Norah Jones
Beth Orton
Sarah McLachlan
Yes, when she decides to sing naturally, Christina Aguilera has a good voice (ditto for Mariah)

Da boys:
Bono
Eddie Vedder
Michael Stipe
Thom Yorke
Lyle Lovett (a little more obscure...but the man's got the smoooothest voice out there)
Anthony Keidis is underrated, I feel

Back
Top Bottom