best u2 songs that are not u2 songs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOFO

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
you know what I mean? songs by other bands that either show the u2 influence or could easily have been written by our boys.

mine are:
1. bittersweet symphony (the verve)
2. fake plastic trees (radiohead)
3. wonderwall (oasis)
:lemon: :eyebrow:

So far only one song i heard has ever reminded me of U2 -

Yellow by Coldplay.

One More Murder by Better Than Ezra.
OMG, I thought it was U2 when I first heard it.

Isn't Wonderwall a George Harrison cover??
I thought thats what I heard once.

anyway, I honestly can't thik of any whole songs that sounded like U2 to me.
Sometimes The Bends at U2ish moments I suppose, but not generally.

There's this one song I like by Echo and the Bunnymen (a group that came out right about the time U2 did) that sort of sounds like U2. I saw the video for it on VH1 Classics the other day, but for the life of me I can't remember the title.

Basstrap said:
Isn't Wonderwall a George Harrison cover??
I thought thats what I heard once.

Isn't every Oasis song a long lost Beatles song though?

:mac:

Coldplay's "Yellow" and "In My Place" (the new single) are very U2-ish.

U2-esque? U2-ey?

I would also say these other songs fit in quite well:

Better Than Ezra - "Desperately Wanting"
James - "Say Something"
Live - "Lightning Crashes"

Peter Gabriel - "Don't Give Up"

His voice aside, this sounds like a War / Unforgettable Fire hybrid. The UF sound makes sense, since Danny Lanois had a hand in both UF and Gabriel's So. But War? I mean, the hell?

The Temptations - "I Could Never Love Another (After Loving You)"

Wanna know the source for Angel of Harlem, Stuck in a Moment, and In a Little While? This is IT.

Jewel - "The New Wild West"

Yeah, I know the coming response. I paraphrase the Shawshank Redemption: "I do believe you're talking out your ass." BUT if you can mentally replace Jewel's voice with Bono's, it sounds like a B-side from the Joshua Tree / Rattle & Hum era.

Musically, lots of INXS songs do.

Lyrically, lots of Collective Soul songs do. (Shine, Precious Declaration, The World I Know)

I Try - Macy Gray...it has a very similar feel to Stuck In a Moment if you listen to it I think.

In a Daydream by the Freddie Jones band. Gorgeous song, sort of a U2 ripoff, I guess, but just gorgeous. And actually, it is fairly different from a U2 song overall--just the guitar.

Also Ghostdancing, She's a River and some other Simple Minds songs, Street Spirit by Radiohead (thought it was U2 first time I heard it), Red Rain by Peter Gabriel, Blue Sky Mine by Midnight Oil.

Last edited:
You know something? I just noticed that when I think of the U2 sound, I think of the Edge's guitar, way before anything else. And what's more, I think mainly of the Edge's guitar in songs such as Streets and Pride. I think that's going to be the main thing (outside of actual individual songs) that people remember U2's music for.

Pulled Along by Love - Muttonbirds
New Charlatens album, Wonderland - esp. the beginning of the first track Your so Pretty - sounds like something straight out of Pop
Sometimes Placebo
I love Coldplay with a passion, but I still cant see the U2 influence.

Pamela

oh man, I totally forgot about that filter song.....what a Bono ripoff he does.

actually, it's hard these days to come by a guitarist who hasn't ripped off the edge.

seein as loads of you are talking bout coldplay....saw em at slane, they were great. but their big song seems to be yellow, whereas i really think it should be "Dont Panic" what an absolutely beautiful song! what do you think?

ps-im not sure i see the coldplay-u2 resemblance..

Back
Top Bottom