Best Tracks of 06?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snowlock

Refugee
Great year in music; any music. Time to review:

What do you think are the 10 best tracks released in 06 so far? What upcoming tracks (Aside from the upcoming U2 track) are you most looking forward to? What do you think the best album is? This biggest dissapointment?

1. The Adventure - Angels & Airwaves
2. Read My Mind - The Killers
3. Message To The Boys - The Replacements
4. Crazy Bitch - Buckcherry
5. Lately - Soul Asylum
6. All Is Well - Soul Asylum
7. Hands Open - Snow Patrol
8. A Little's Enough - Angels & Airwaves
9. Bling - The Killers
10. In The Sun (Live) - Michael Stipe & Coldplay

Best album, Angels & Airwaves: We Don't Need To Whisper
Worst: Keane: Under The Iron Sea

IWasBored said:
oh, please, someone just shoot me now.

Man this board is getting pointless. If you don't have a post count in the thousands and a complete loser life to match, you're derided. Gets really tiring mocked by nerds and spoiled brats. I'd love to see the amount of people who in real life would say the things they say here.

But then again, people who respond like this in real life probably don't have a lot of people to talk to.

Some mod just close this thread now.

IWasBored said:
oh, please, someone just shoot me now.

That was completely uncalled for.

Snowlock, there is no reason this thread can't remain here...provided we just move directly on to the topic after I post this.

Hey Snowlock,

This is a worthy, relevant thread, and it should stay open because it'll create good discussion.

Let's keep it nice, people.

Bonochick said:
Okay, and after Carrie posts. :laugh: :wave:

Sorry about that, babe - you and literally posted within seconds of each other, so I didn't see your post at all. Doh! Sorry! :)

This is a ctually a good thread idea&i'd just ignore any cynical meanies :up:

So, i'd say that one of my contenders that i can think of is one of the singles so far by The Feeling, fab songs they have :up: :heart:

ok my list so far in no particular order

Guillemots- Made-Up Love Song #43
Guillemots- Trains To Brazil
Strokes- You Only Live Once
Scissor Sisters- I Don't Feel Like Dancing
Keane- Is It Any Wonder
Secret Machines- Lightning Blue Eyes
Muse- Starlight
Bob Dylan- Thunder On The Mountain
Matt Kearney- All I Need

U2- new song (hopefully :wink:)

the first 5 allways put me in a good mood:shrug:

Snowlock said:
Great year in music; any music. Time to review:

What do you think are the 10 best tracks released in 06 so far? What upcoming tracks (Aside from the upcoming U2 track) are you most looking forward to? What do you think the best album is? This biggest dissapointment?

1. The Adventure - Angels & Airwaves
2. Read My Mind - The Killers
3. Message To The Boys - The Replacements
4. Crazy Bitch - Buckcherry
5. Lately - Soul Asylum
6. All Is Well - Soul Asylum
7. Hands Open - Snow Patrol
8. A Little's Enough - Angels & Airwaves
9. Bling - The Killers
10. In The Sun (Live) - Michael Stipe & Coldplay

Best album, Angels & Airwaves: We Don't Need To Whisper
Worst: Keane: Under The Iron Sea

1. Muse - Knights of Cydonia

2. everything else

you're right. i should have said something more along the lines of "hooray! another list thread masquerading as an actual discussion!"

i'm going to play nicely now, but i can't think of anything i've ever said here that i wouldn't say in real life. unless you turned out to be jack bauer, then i guess you'd probably shoot me.

(i'd also say this stuff, but ironically i think the rate at which i go on about bands that most people i know don't really care about, i think the following is more likely to get me punched in the face than some of my bullshit)

the briggs - common & unknown

this song is excellent. i expected a load of crap from the new briggs album, despite that i really loved numbers and leaving the ways. it's really good, and this is only one of many awesome songs on it. i was quite impressed.

street dogs - not without a purpose

also something i feared would disappoint. their first album was brilliant, the second good but it grew on me enough that i can't even chose which of those two i like more. "not without a purpose" is probably the catchiest track, but there are so many awesome songs on the album. i can't wait to be able to get an actual copy, all i've got now is leaked soulseek mp3s.

street dogs - there is power in a union

billy bragg's version is excellent, but theirs got me jumping around the room the first time i listened to it. no joke. it's a good thing i was alone.

bouncing souls - so jersey

as much as i liked the album, it was kind of disappointing. there are probably three songs on it i really care to listen to after hearing the thing a few times. the progression between the gold record and anchors aweigh feels like good, honest musical growth. there's a lot to be said for that. that takes more balls than being nickelback and putting out 12 of the same songs on 3 different cds. but "so jersey" is really the only song that stands out for me. "the messenger" is cool.

anything off either the ducky boys the war back home or mark lind's death or jail. everything that guy does is pure rock n roll bliss.

roger miret & the disasters put out a new album that i haven't listened to that much yet (just got it yesterday). but from what i gather, it's damn good. maybe even matches the first one. way better than their second album.

and i still can't remember/am too lazy to check whether the springsteen seeger sessions came out this year or last (i said the same thing in another thread, but i'm also too lazy to see if anyone corrected me).

IWasBored said:
you're right. i should have said something more along the lines of "hooray! another list thread masquerading as an actual discussion!"
:lol: +++

Re: Re: Best Tracks of 06?

Canadiens1160 said:

2. everything else

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: No melody or point = amazing

Pearl Jam - Gone
Flaming Lips - The Sound Of Failure
Beck - Strange Apparition
Thom Yorke - Black Swan

Coming soon, Warcraft IV: Knights of Cydonia. :| :down:

Oh yes well let's get moving.

Um, Guillemots' single 'We're Here' is fantabulous. James Dean Bradfield's 'Emigre' is a pop masterpiece.

The Strokes - 'You Only Live Once' is brilliant.

Snow Patrol's duet with Martha Wainwright on 'Set the Fire to the Third Bar' is a nice curiosity.

Quite a bit of 'The Life Pursuit' album is stellar but 'Sukie in the Graveyard' is my favourite so I'll go for that.

'Love Like Winter' by AFI is a great, poppy little track with one killer chorus; too bad the 'cool' kids here won't enjoy it.

And of course, 'Crazy'. And if the Jay-Z album keeps its intended release date of November I think we may hear some stellar singles from it.

Edit: And because I dislike criticising stuff I haven't actually heard, I decided to go to youtube and actually hear 'Knights of Cydonia' for myself.

It was actually not bad, good even, until the singing started. It's come to the point where I find CRAIG Bellamy more tolerable than Matthew.

So yes that's actual a semi-compliment.

Last edited:
i'll be honest.

i don't much respect people's opinions in music when they're so wildly different from my own. i'm immature, and clearly incapable of conducting myself in a way that is even remotely appropriate.

so i won't say anything more.

for now.

Re: Re: Best Tracks of 06?

Canadiens1160 said:

2. everything else

Best post of the year. I will have to think about my list, but #1 is pretty obvious for me.

I would like to spend more time with an explanation of each track, but I don't have many moments to spare right now. I apologize for the one-off style...

The Funeral- Band of Horses
Dayvan Cowboy- Boards of Canada
Let The Devil In- TV On The Radio
Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken- Camera Obscura (thanks, Zoomerang)
Crazy- Gnarls Barkley
Think I'm In Love- Beck
Omaha- Tapes n' Tapes
Kill 100- XPress 2
Over and Over- Hot Chip
Wolf Like Me- TV On The Radio (thanks, u2popmofo and Salome)
Vicarious Atonement- The Mars Volta
The Great Salt Lake- Band of Horses
Long Legs- The Magic Numbers
Cod'ine- Oakley Hall
Adventure- be your own PET
Manipulation- The Black Angels (thanks, Elvis Presley)
Rough Gem- Islands
Travel is Dangerous- Mogwai
Working Out Words- The Diableros (thanks, lmjhitman)
Hideaway (acoustic)- Rock Kills Kid (thanks, Elvis Presley)
Arbuckle's Swan Song- Ambulance Ltd (thanks, Basstrap)
Turn Into- Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Lithium (Nirvana Cover)- The Polyphonic Spree (thanks, me)
Stars of CCTV- Hard-Fi

Last edited:
Well, I can't do it in order. #1 is Knights of Cydonia.

#2 through #10 are not in any order:

Muse - Supermassive Black Hole
Muse - Starlight
Pearl Jam - Come Back
Pearl Jam - Severed Hand
The Killers - Read My Mind
The Killers - Bling
Thom Yorke - Harrowdown Hill
Bob Dylan - Ain't Talkin'
Snow Patrol - Open Your Eyes
Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars

Well, that's 11 :shrug:

Yertle
since you like the Life Pursuit album so much (as you should of course) you may want to try out the latest Yo La Tengo album

lyrics not quite as good as B&S of course
but musically it remindsme of Life Pursuit somehow

otherwise I agree 2006 has been a good year
I am not even going to try to name songs
but TV on the Radio, Bonnie Prince Billy, COmets on Fire, Yo la Tengo, The Pipettes,Bob Dylan,Pet Shop Boys, The Streets all have had some pretty good stuff out :up:

bsp77 said:
Well, I can't do it in order. #1 is Knights of Cydonia.

#2 through #10 are not in any order:

Muse - Supermassive Black Hole
Muse - Starlight
Pearl Jam - Come Back
Pearl Jam - Severed Hand
The Killers - Read My Mind
The Killers - Bling
Thom Yorke - Harrowdown Hill
Bob Dylan - Ain't Talkin'
Snow Patrol - Open Your Eyes
Snow Patrol - Chasing Cars

Well, that's 11 :shrug:

#'s 4 & 8 :drool: :heart:

To me, it's a toss between PJ's Inside Job, your #8, and How It Ends by DeVotchKa, from the Little Miss Sunshine soundtrack.

The Pipettes - We Are the Pipettes (best opening track ever)

The Decemberists - Shankill Butchers

Calexico - Roka (best track in their new album... that is, probably, their worst)

Neko Case - Hold On, Hold On

Comets on Fire - Lucifer's Memory (it has melody! the Comets playing something melodic!)

and some others

oooh yeah
Neko
and The Destroyer too really

and if anyone yawns in my face again I will slap them silly

Pearl Jam - Life Wasted
Pearl Jam - Unemployable
Pearl Jam - Gone
Pearl Jam - Inside Job
Chris Cornell - You Know My Name
Audioslave - One And The Same
Audioslave - Sound Of A Gun
Audioslave - Revelations
Audioslave - Wide Awake
Audioslave - Until We Fall

Guess there would be Iron Maiden and some more if I listened to more new music :shrug:

The best track of the year by a HUGE fucking margin is "Thursday," by Asobi Seksu. Anybody who says otherwise is a liar.

Speaking of Liars, "The Other Side of Mt. Heart Attack" is a great song from earlier this year which, somehow, nobody has mentioned.

IWasBored said:

You didn't have to say anything. You could have just posted along the lines of the topic or not posted at all.

Back
Top Bottom