"Best" Sporting Venue Names

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cujo

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Ever since the first use of corporate sponsorship for teams, there have been crappy arena names... cases in point:

The First Union Center (aka the "FU" center; many visitors feel that name is so very appropriate for the city of "brotherly love")...

The National Car Rental Center (florida):
- does it need explanation?

The Gaylord Sports and Entertainment Center:
- only hockey could introduce this bastard for a name to the honky-tonk town...

Are there any others I'm forgetting? My knowledge may be limited to North American venues, but international crap is always encouraged!

How about...

The "Gee... Your Hair Smells Terrific Arena"- Simpsons

The Staples Center- it's a giant stapler damnit!

Or, my favorite...

The Saddledome (with various sponsors)...
- it already implies that the opponent is going to ride our ass... why don't they just bend over and say "give us a good kick"
- the major drawback of living in Calgary.

Arco Arena always sounded cool to me.

The band "Cake" even wrote a song in honor of it. Know what that song is called? Arco Arena.

do they come up with nicknames for the corporate sponsored arena's in the states?
here in canada we have the hangar (air canada center, toronto), the garage (gm place, vancouver), the telephone booth (bell center, montreal).
ottawa doesnt have a name. who is edmonton's sponsor now? some construction equipment company...

kobayashi said:
do they come up with nicknames for the corporate sponsored arena's in the states?
here in canada we have the hangar (air canada center, toronto), the garage (gm place, vancouver), the telephone booth (bell center, montreal).
ottawa doesnt have a name. who is edmonton's sponsor now? some construction equipment company...

They do. I know the Pepsi Center is called "The Can" by some.
I like "Pepsi Center", my friends and I all agree it sounds refreshing. I know there's others, but they are not well publicized--no advertisement that way! :)

"Office Depot Center" or whatever in Florida is pretty bad. So is Staples Center.

I think "Invesco Field at Mile High" is a terrible name, especially since they insist on saying all five words to make sponser and purists happy. :| I've heard Invesco company employees nicknamed it after a certain birth control device.

Isn't there a football field somewhere known as the ConDOME due to it's er, rubber roof?

AvsGirl41 said:
I think "Invesco Field at Mile High" is a terrible name, especially since they insist on saying all five words to make sponser and purists happy. :|

It is sponsor driven. In So. Cal., you are consistently greeted with a "Welcome to the Arrowhead Pond of Anaheim" by every employee. I am sure the get a reprimand if they simply say "The Pond".

birchmount stadium--home of the robbie

wait...is that really a place? yes i still like that song...don't flame me please *wondering if anyone else knew that was the last line to "*** ****"--********* ****** *

I agree with Hewson -- the Dunkin Donuts Center sucks. Isn't the center of a Dunkin Donut a donut hole? See -- the place is a hole.

I am a purist! I saw a football game at Mile High and baseball games at Tiger Stadium. And I will not call the new pieces of crap anything other than Tiger Stadium and Mile High Stadium.

The Cleveland Browns play at Cleveland Brown Stadium. They have four main entrances that are named after companies, which allowed them to keep their integrity intacted.

Can I introduce a couple of European soccer stadiums?

The Arnold Schwarzenneger Stadium - home of SK Sturm Graz (Austria)
Home Park - home of Plymouth Argyle (England, and terribly original too)
BayArena - home of Bayer Leverkusen (Germany)
The Hawthorns - home of West Bromwich Albion (England)

yertle-the-turtle said:
Can I introduce a couple of European soccer stadiums?

The Arnold Schwarzenneger Stadium - home of SK Sturm Graz (Austria)

:lol:

Back
Top Bottom