Best re-issues

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
seems like lots of artists are reissuing their old stuff now. The Peppers and AC/DC just put out a few each. There are different approaches. AC/DC just cleaned up the sound. (Quite well, might I add). A few essays in the liner notes, but nothing spectacular. The Chilis I haven't picked up yet, cuz I own so much of their stuff already. I've already got everything from Mother's Milk on, and I don't care a whole lot for the first three albums aside from a few songs each. Anyway, Flea did new liner notes and they tacked a few songs and demos onto each disc. But the King of reissues has got to be....

Elvis Costello. I picked up This Year's Model and Armed Forces. All I can say is wow. First off, the sound is amazing, and sounds much better than my old compilations and albums, especially in my car. Then there are the new liner notes. Memories and stories about each song from Elvis Costello himself. Life on the road at the time of each album, and his life in general at the time. Then there are lyrics to each and every song, including all the stuff on the bonus discs. Here comes the best part. Each album, and I think he's reissued almost everything from 77's My Aim is True through 96's All This Useless Beauty, has a bonus disc. These discs include-
1) live versions
2) alternate versions
3)demos
4)b-sides
5)covers
6)non-album singles
7)unreleased altogether songs

In fact, the Armed Forces CD has a full 9 tracks from the same show, and then another 8 tracks.

So hats off to the real king of rock n' roll.

The Who reissues were very good I thought, whereas the Beatles and Stones are stingy buggers when it comes to this kinda thing.

I know that Pavement's Slanted And Enchanted was reissued with an extra disk of things on it. Got some good ratings too.

I have to admit I havent heard the reissue though. The original album is fantastic.

u2popmofo said:
I know that Pavement's Slanted And Enchanted was reissued with an extra disk of things on it. Got some good ratings too.

I have to admit I havent heard the reissue though. The original album is fantastic.

It's amazing. 140 minutes of music for $14. You get S&E, an amazing album in its own right, plus the Watery, Domesic EP, various songs that were left off these albums, two Peel sessions, and a live concert. Wow! And one of the songs from the Peel Sessions called Circa 1762 is just one of the greatest things ever. 10 thumbs up.

i've yet to buy a reissue that has anything on it really. so far, the only reissue i've bought that had anything on it was just videos. big whoop.

so i have to say none. :sad:

the police albums just got re-issued, did they not?

the slanted and enchanted re-issue is great :up:

IWasBored said:
the police albums just got re-issued, did they not?
ooh!! no no...i will not buy them. i already own all the cds, plus i have the box set which means i own them twice. i refuse to be lame enough to own three copies of every album! :mad:

*secretly peers at amazon.com to see if they have any extra goodies*

Hello,

I think my question is kinda related to the whole re-issue thing (but not completely), so I want to ask it here. How does everyone think of bonus-tracks tacked onto the end of an album?

I'm still undecided about it. Bonus tracks are extra material, so you get more music for your money. On the other hand, the album changes as there is more music after the original end. So which one is best?

In that light, the Elvis Costello re-issues are indeed king. I haven't bought one yet, but he does give the best of both world. There are bonus tracks, but they are on a second CD, separate from the original album. The original album is then presented in its original form, without anything tacked onto the end.

I don't have many re-issues yet. But recently I picked up the re-issue of Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys. Although the sound quality was restored/remastered the CD was in mono. There were also no bonus tracks. But the 36 minutes of music on it are glorious!

C ya!

Marty

Back
Top Bottom