best produced albums ever? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-22-2007, 05:30 PM   #1
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:20 PM
best produced albums ever?

sound quality should also be taken into consideration.

list some.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:39 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 08:20 AM
Ra by Utopia
Aerial by Kate Bush
Disintegration by The Cure
Animals by Pink Floyd
Songs From The Big Chair by Tears For Fears
The Dreaming by Kate Bush
Liars by Todd Rundgren

Old 01-22-2007, 06:47 PM   #3
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 05:20 AM
Steely Dan, Aja.

You can pretty much end the discussion right there.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:07 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:20 AM
Pretty much anything produced by Brian Eno....I true God and revolutionary producer. (see Low - David Bowie, Remain in Light - Talking Heads)

Anything produced by Tom Dowd for Atlantic Records...THE leading pioneer in early popular music production.

More specifically:

The Joshua Tree - U2

Hail To The Thief - Radiohead (I've been admiring this albums production all day...and on a different note, this has been the one album that I've had the MOST rocky relationship with in my life. At first I loved it, but not as much as other Radiohead albums...then for a good period of 2 years I absolutely despised it...And a couple months ago I had a major revelation, and now it's one of my favorite albums of all time. And the production IS spectacular. The arrangements are top-notch, and the use of stereo is better than in any previous Radiohead albums.)

Quadrophenia - The Who

Sargent Peppers - The Beatles (though most of their albums are masterpieces in production)
Old 01-22-2007, 07:09 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:20 PM
yep. httt is a fantastic thing to listen to in headphones. absolutely fantastic. sometimes i listen to this album solely to enjoy the production.

also i would like to say that i always enjoy the sound quality of the corrs' albums, the instruments and their voices are so deliciously clear, which is a good thing when andrea is singing. they should have avoided all the echo thing that they started to use at a certain point, though.

do you really think jt is so well produced?
Old 01-22-2007, 07:20 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 06:20 AM
The production on JT is sub par at best.

I think OK Computer is one of the best things to listen to with headphones. Absolutely stunning.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:37 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Well, production has to do with a lot more than just sound quality, which I feel is maybe the only aspect that might be considered disappointing, and even then I still wouldn't say it's sub-par. But the more creative techniques applied to creating the sonic space and specific arrangement of the songs really propels the Joshua Tree into the upper echelon of album production, in my opinion. Taking a look at Streets, With or Without You, Bullet (I don't really understand why people dislike the album version so much...maybe it's just because it's so different from live incarnations), Running to Stand Still, and Mothers. Eno and Lanois had just about as much to do with the structural way those songs came out as the band did in the end, which is really the prominent aspect of "production". Like, say if Lillywhite has produced the album, it might have had a simliar or better/worse sound quality, but the songs' arrangments would probably have been significantly less interesting.
Old 01-22-2007, 07:44 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man
yep. httt is a fantastic thing to listen to in headphones. absolutely fantastic. sometimes i listen to this album solely to enjoy the production.
There There just came on and I had to comment specifically on how utterly amazing this song is. And I think the best part is that they somehow managed to surpass the album incarnation in their live performances of the song. The way they arranged this song on stage was a thing of tremendous beauty.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:01 PM   #9
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:20 AM
Elephant by The White Stripes is excellent on headphones

Revolver by The Beatles is fucking mindblowing. I love mono recordings.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:22 PM   #10
Refugee

great topic! i can't believe this has never come up before.
i agree that the joshua tree is fantastically produced. Lancemc's observations are dead on, as far as i'm concerned. the arrangements are actually quite sparse, but they fill the space magnificently. for similar reasons i also like 'achtung baby', perhaps a notch higher.
ok computer and the bends jumped right into my head when i saw this. i'll have to give httt a good listen with my headphones.
i also really LOVE the production of 'siamese dream' by the smashing pumpkins. i'm a big fan of the army of guitars approach, and i don't think it was ever delivered quite so effectively.
the pinnacle for me, however, is 'spilt milk' by jellyfish. they managed to balance so many flourishes and accents - sitting comfortably in the mix with meticulously crafted songs and harmonies. all the levels are perfect, and every little bit adds a new twist or turn to the already vivid songs. listen to the 'when you wish upon a star' string flourish that punctuates the pinnochio reference in 'joining a fanclub', the buried doorbell sound effect in the intro to 'all is forgiven', as the philanderer pleads for his love life at some ungodly hour. and those harmonies - i'm not sure how many parts, but they used just the right amount of reverb to fill your skull when you hear it (the opening track 'hush'). the songs flow seamlessly (like a beatles album), the arrangements are melodic and mindblowingly complex. it's a great listen on 2 levels - (1) you could listen repeatedly for the fantastic immediacy of the songs - you'll be humming for weeks. (2) the production constantly reveals new subtleties, it's inspiring to me. i'm always wondering 'how did they do that?'. so it covers both sides of the brain, and that's a real triumph...
Old 01-22-2007, 09:02 PM   #11
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc

Quadrophenia - The Who

was this meant to be a joke? I thought the band famously hated the production/mix on this record

my pick is kid A, by radiohead
Old 01-22-2007, 09:07 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by I'm Ready

was this meant to be a joke? I thought the band famously hated the production/mix on this record.
Don't remember hearing that. But whether or not the band hated it, it's still incredible.
Old 01-22-2007, 09:52 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

can't believe no one has said "Dark Side of the Moon"
.the production on that album is out of this world
Old 01-22-2007, 09:55 PM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
\

Hail To The Thief - Radiohead (I've been admiring this albums production all day...and on a different note, this has been the one album that I've had the MOST rocky relationship with in my life. At first I loved it, but not as much as other Radiohead albums...then for a good period of 2 years I absolutely despised it...And a couple months ago I had a major revelation, and now it's one of my favorite albums of all time. And the production IS spectacular. The arrangements are top-notch, and the use of stereo is better than in any previous Radiohead albums.)

the production on that album is awful IMO
Nigel really screwed the pooch on that one
Old 01-22-2007, 09:56 PM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by xaviMF22

the production on that album is awful IMO
Nigel really screwed the pooch on that one