Best Place in the world to go for New Years?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

STING2

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
I say Edinburgh because of Hogmany. I'd be interested to know what other places everyone here thinks are cool for New Years.

You should all come to my house for New Year's Eve...it kicks ass! We have chips...and pop...and...

Nevermind.

The only really exciting New Year's I spent was in London in Trafalgar Square with 100,000 of my best friends. It was so cool; there was only one small fight that I saw, and after the shindig was over a whole bunch of people went to get on the Tube to go home. The gates were closed, so some guys at the front pushed them open, and everyone was able to get on the right train to go home. Lotsa fun and quite safe!

Sometimes I go to bed and forget to celebrate.

One year, I remember watching a marathon of "Crocodile Hunter" on the Animal Planet channel...that was fun. :tongue:

Dunno where I'll be this year. Maybe in Europe, maybe back here.

Actually, that is a great question. I find that as the years go by, planning a great NYE is more difficult b/c you have already done many things. I think that NYE is overrated and is an excuse for many to overcharge people. Don't get me wrong, it is fun but not all that it's cracked up to be. NYE in New York is fun, but the whole Times Square thing is quite exaggerated: it is cold, you cant drink(you can, but it is not pleasant in the cold w/out restrooms!) and you cant move.

Personally, I find many regular Saturday night throughout the year to be far more enjoyable than many New Year's Eve nights.

Any suggestions for NYC in 2003?

sulawesigirl4 said:
Sometimes I go to bed and forget to celebrate.

One year, I remember watching a marathon of "Crocodile Hunter" on the Animal Planet channel...that was fun. :tongue:

Dunno where I'll be this year. Maybe in Europe, maybe back here.

ok, then--sula's couch :D

since 1994 I have spent all NYEs, except fo the Millenium one at a local Folk Festival here in the Sunshine Coast hinterland- it is a great place, it runs from the 26th of Dec until the 2nd of January and it is like a trip around the world- there are usually 2000+ performers from all over the world and you can see all types of music covered from blues, traditional irish folk, african, dance in fact you name it they have it and this past new years I saw a 20 piece all girl brass soul band followed by a bit of a dance and many margaritas in the techno tent and then a all night dance tot he sounds of the world percussion show in the natural ampitheatre and then at dawn lots of people watched the first sunrise of the year with the tibetan monks chanting up on the biggest hill on the site- so much fun- I love the Woodford Folk Festival:)

For me somewhere in Australia or New Zealand, or the surrounding islands. Not so much because of the celebrations but because those areas are the first places to actually enter the millennium.

Well, looks like the main suggestions are Sydney and other places in Australia and New Zealand, as well as New York City and one for London. I'm very surprised no one has been to Hogmanay in Edinburgh!?!? That was the first time I went out of the country for New Years and it was AWESOME! A four day festival with a huge Street Party and fireworks from the grandest castle in Europe sitting on a Volcano! Edinburgh for New Years is so far at the top of my list! I have done the New York thing and was not impressed really although I had a good time. The Scotish are just great and party for four days straight. Plus Edinburgh is a magical place especially in the old town near the castle.

This past year I spent New Years in Galway which was a riot too! People get off your couches and away from the TV if your 21 or over and get out there! Celebrate.

Australia and New Zealand sound really cool, unfortunately the average price to fly there for New Years round trip right now is about 2,750 dollars! To expensive for a week of fun. Last year I flew round trip to Ireland for only 350 dollars!

Come on people, there must be some of you that have been some other cool places on New Years. Lets hear about em!

In 1998, I went back to Indonesia to visit my parents for the holidays. We had flown up to Sulawesi from where they were living in Java and on Dec. 31st were going back down to Java. After 3 plane rides (hop-hop-hop...gotta love islands), a thunderstorm, an aborted landing in Surabaya, a layover in Bali to wait the storm out, and finally arriving in Surabaya to find our rented minivan with driver, we spent the whole night dodging trucks and other road hazards as our Javanese driver sped along the road like a mad-man. Half-way through the journey we stopped at a restaurant/rest area and blearily stumbled out to find the facilities. Before climbing back into the van to face another round of "risk life and limb on Indonesian roads", my dad turned to me and said "Happy New Year". I had completely forgotten that's what happened on Dec 31st. :D

K, so that wasn't a New Years celebration story, but it's a New Years story nonetheless. ;)

Back
Top Bottom