Best Place in the world to go for New Years? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Old 06-13-2002, 01:03 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 06:29 PM
Well, looks like the main suggestions are Sydney and other places in Australia and New Zealand, as well as New York City and one for London. I'm very surprised no one has been to Hogmanay in Edinburgh!?!? That was the first time I went out of the country for New Years and it was AWESOME! A four day festival with a huge Street Party and fireworks from the grandest castle in Europe sitting on a Volcano! Edinburgh for New Years is so far at the top of my list! I have done the New York thing and was not impressed really although I had a good time. The Scotish are just great and party for four days straight. Plus Edinburgh is a magical place especially in the old town near the castle.

This past year I spent New Years in Galway which was a riot too! People get off your couches and away from the TV if your 21 or over and get out there! Celebrate.

Australia and New Zealand sound really cool, unfortunately the average price to fly there for New Years round trip right now is about 2,750 dollars! To expensive for a week of fun. Last year I flew round trip to Ireland for only 350 dollars!

Come on people, there must be some of you that have been some other cool places on New Years. Lets hear about em!

Old 06-13-2002, 01:11 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 01:29 PM
In 1998, I went back to Indonesia to visit my parents for the holidays. We had flown up to Sulawesi from where they were living in Java and on Dec. 31st were going back down to Java. After 3 plane rides (hop-hop-hop...gotta love islands), a thunderstorm, an aborted landing in Surabaya, a layover in Bali to wait the storm out, and finally arriving in Surabaya to find our rented minivan with driver, we spent the whole night dodging trucks and other road hazards as our Javanese driver sped along the road like a mad-man. Half-way through the journey we stopped at a restaurant/rest area and blearily stumbled out to find the facilities. Before climbing back into the van to face another round of "risk life and limb on Indonesian roads", my dad turned to me and said "Happy New Year". I had completely forgotten that's what happened on Dec 31st.

K, so that wasn't a New Years celebration story, but it's a New Years story nonetheless.

"I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me." - Bono