Best Of 2000s Master List and Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Impy:

Rough start, I probably only enjoyed 2 of the first 7 tracks (Okkervil and St. Vincent :drool: ), but the flow was excellent throughout (better than any I've heard so far, my own included), and that kept me interested. Second half was a lot better. The BSS and Wilco tracks were nice surprises, and I already knew Dondante was fantastic. Overall, very good, perhaps a little short, and there was definitely a focus on flow over standout songs in the first side (not such a good idea when you only have an hour to work with), but I enjoyed it a lot in the end.

I had the exact opposite reaction. I loved the tone of the first half of the list, and while the songs on the second half were good, it just didn't hit me the way the first half did.

GAF: Mixed list, had some nice tracks on there and some not so nice. Maps was easily the highlight but most of it was good. The stretch from CSS to Lily was awesome. Toxic should of been the Britney track though, Biology is also the single most overrated thing Girls Aloud ever made but oh well better than something like Can't Speak French for sure. Choosing an Avril song that isn't Girlfriend also gets you bonus points because Girlfriend is minus a billion. Anyway good list a lot of it wasn't my taste but it was fun

IMPY: Gonna go with the general opinion here, first half had great flow but lacked the songs, second half had great songs and lacked the flow would of been nice to have had a better middle ground. Major Label Debut (Fast) was absolutely awesome, never heard it before so it was a nice surprise. Good list overall wish it had a middle ground between both sides though

Jive Turkey: Best list I've heard so far by far, seriously I loved this. Morrissey, The Twilight Sad, Arcade Fire, Ryan Adams and Interpol were all brilliant and it had a nice flow to it overall. The Radiohead choice was the only one I didn't like, good song but it doesn't even come close to being one of my favourite songs by them this decade. When my least favourite part of a list is a Radiohead song I know someone made a great list.

I'm also starting to think I should listen to Alligator, Boxer was a decent album but everything I've heard from Alligator sounds great

Well Screw, my loathing for Kate Bush aside, this was a fine playlist. If we were rating on overall flow and experience only, this would be near the top. It's that cohesive and makes for a great listen.

Was the Todd Rundgren song supposed to cut off like that? Just wondering; it was very abrupt and took me by surprise.

Songs two and three, which I hadn't heard previously, were very good together.

Favorite part was the Metric, Moby, Morrissey block. You also chose a MGMT song that I wouldn't have, but hearing it within this playlist actually brought something out in it I hadn't heard before. Hard to explain, but it was pretty good within the context of the songs here.

Probably the worst song here for me was that Dresden Dolls track. Ugh.

But finishing with Sit And Wonder was cool.

So I really liked this apart from the things I usually don't care for (Kate Bush, Tori Amos, etc.). It'll probably rank somewhere in the middle for me.

Jive Turkey: Best list I've heard so far by far, seriously I loved this. Morrissey, The Twilight Sad, Arcade Fire, Ryan Adams and Interpol were all brilliant and it had a nice flow to it overall. The Radiohead choice was the only one I didn't like, good song but it doesn't even come close to being one of my favourite songs by them this decade. When my least favourite part of a list is a Radiohead song I know someone made a great list.

I'm also starting to think I should listen to Alligator, Boxer was a decent album but everything I've heard from Alligator sounds great

The National fans on the board are pretty split on Alligator and Boxer. I prefer Alligator, as my top ten list earlier showed.

Listening to Ruckman's list... At Mr. Brightside right now and loving all the songs so far! Stockholm Syndrome is such a terrific rocker and it went well with the Jane's Addiction song. And Boulevard is actually a pretty neat little number.. I don't care how overplayed it was on the radio in 2004/05. And man, the more I listen to Pumpkins' Stand Inside Your Love, the more I love it! I need to get Machina, stat. More to come.

I was a late-bloomer to the music scene in general, so Stand Inside Your Love was the first Smashing Pumpkins song I fell in love with.

Listened to Impy's this afternoon, and it was a bit rough for me at first. The songs just weren't there for me. But it really picked up in the second half. The BSS, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and Secret Machines tracks stood out in particular.

However, on a cohesiveness level, this was excellent throughout, and I appreciate what you were doing here. I just wasn't into several of the songs chosen though.

Well Screw, my loathing for Kate Bush aside, this was a fine playlist. If we were rating on overall flow and experience only, this would be near the top. It's that cohesive and makes for a great listen.

Was the Todd Rundgren song supposed to cut off like that? Just wondering; it was very abrupt and took me by surprise.

Songs two and three, which I hadn't heard previously, were very good together.

Favorite part was the Metric, Moby, Morrissey block. You also chose a MGMT song that I wouldn't have, but hearing it within this playlist actually brought something out in it I hadn't heard before. Hard to explain, but it was pretty good within the context of the songs here.

Probably the worst song here for me was that Dresden Dolls track. Ugh.

But finishing with Sit And Wonder was cool.

So I really liked this apart from the things I usually don't care for (Kate Bush, Tori Amos, etc.). It'll probably rank somewhere in the middle for me.

Cool. :up:

Unfortunately the Todd Rundgren song does end that way which is a pain when using the song on its own. On the album itself it makes for a perfect transition between tracks though. I think it is the best song of the decade and had to include it as such. :up:

Ruckman contd.

The Flaming Lips song was really nice. And Travis, although it went great with the Lips, the song itself didn't do much for me. Sean Lennon I liked a bit more. Weezer was great! Yael and Feist were both pretty good and went great together. Really, the flow is pretty awesome throughout your list! U2 of course, great underrated gem of a song followed by Desert Rose which I still do enjoy. Love the middle eastern music and vocals especially. Cash's Hurt.. wow! Believe it or not I'd never heard this before. Outstanding! Sigur Ros and Radiohead went beautifully well, as expected, ending a list that I really enjoyed! This one will be near the top for me. :up:

Hey Phanan the answer will probably be a no but I was wondering if a lot of people aren't through all the playlists by Monday, can we push the rankings deadline to Tuesday? I don't know how far everyone is and was wondering if anyone is a bit behind on listening to them.

The thing is, there will be people who are doing their best to listen to each playlist and trying to get done on time, and some others who have listened to a few or none and just won't be able to do more than a quick review and ranking. Because of this, extending an extra day won't make a difference.

However, I usually don't receive everything on time, and when I post an update on Monday night and not everyone has submitted a ranking, you'll know then that you have a little extra time to get a few more playlists through.

So I'm not extending anything, but at the same time, I have no doubt I won't receive all by the end of Monday.

I am not in the tournament but I have listened to AtomicBono's playlist and I would like to comment on it:

I absolutely love the variety of the playlist and how well the transition from one genre to another genre fits so well. I second Screw, the transition from the Plus/Minus song to Bloc Party song is magnificent, it even flows well with the Thrice and Pleasant Grove songs. I loved the end of the playlist with the last three songs. I thought the playlist ended perfectly. I loved many things about this playlist, but I loathe Minus the Bear with a strong passion for some reason. And I am not too keen on the first two heavy metals songs in the beginning. But nevertheless, it was a very fun and enjoyable playlist. Great job, AtomicBono!

Well, it's probably not too surprising that I really liked Ax's list. I had 9 out of the 12 songs on there, and the three I didn't have are the ones I didn't like. The music on the Agalloch track was very good; still can't get by those vocals though.

So needless to say, this will get a good ranking from me.

Just AtomicBono's to listen to this afternoon and I'm done.

'Twas a rought start for me on AB's list with the first two songs, but then it was an excellent run from Editors to TVOTR. Great stretch there; I even didn't mind that Thrice song. The Plus/Minus tune was pretty cool.

The last part was ok; obviously PT was the major highlight.

So I didn't care for some of the songs, which I'm sure isn't a major surprise, but what I did enjoy I enjoyed a lot.

Just so people are aware, I plan on doing the results thread shortly after receiving everything, and then I was going to follow that with the posting of everyone's individual rankings, if you all are ok with that. If not, I could post each ranking without saying who it's from.

I'd rather not be responsible for hurting someones feelings in regards to their musical taste. I think I'd feel guilty if someone knew I voted them last, but someone has to be last :(

Just wrapped up listening to them/ranking a couple of minutes ago. List should be sent in now.

Sorry guys but I'm not gonna have a ranking by the end of the night, I still have to listen to two more lists and it's 2am here so I need sleep, I'll listen once I'm home from college (6:30pm) tomorrow

Understood.

I've also had a request not to post the individual lists at all, so I'll have to think about it.

Maybe instead of posting each list you could post everyone's top 5? That way no one would have hurt feelings of being at the bottom of someone's rankings like JiveTurkey mentioned. Didn't LemonMelon have something similar when he did the album rankings of how many times each of the albums appeared in a top ten? Or am I remembering that wrong? :hmm:

I like the top 5 thing as well. Even though I'm not in on this. Seems like a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom