Best Of 2000s Master List and Discussion Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just noticed Jive Turkey also included "Six Days." It's not quite enough to make up for your crimes, but it's a start.

I think I'll make my first listen either Phanan, GAF or Screwtape. :hmm:

About half way through Screw's playlist. Lots of stuff I'm not familiar with, which is cool. Some works for me, some doesn't. But this already feels like a very cohesive sonic statement, which I appreciate.

LemonMelon

1. TV On The Radio - "I Was A Lover" - Return To Cookie Mountain (4:20)
This is the second TV On The Radio song that I’ve heard on heard through two playlists and I like both. This one was a nice surprise.

2. Arcade Fire - "Keep The Car Running" - Neon Bible (3:28)
Good song.

3. Spoon - "Everything Hits At Once" - Girls Can Tell (4:02)
4. Radiohead - "Weird Fishes/Arpeggi" - In Rainbows (5:17)
5. Wilco - "Pot Kettle Black" - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot (4:00)
6. The National - "Fake Empire" - Boxer (3:24)
7. Sufjan Stevens - "Chicago" - Come On! Feel The Illinoise! (6:05)
Another good song.

8. Beck - "Lost Cause" - Sea Change (3:47)
The last three songs work very well together. The transition between Chicago and Lost Cause is particularly good.

9. The Shins - "Kissing The Lipless" - Chutes Too Narrow
10. Flight Of The Conchords - "The Most Beautiful Girl (In The Room)" - Flight Of The Conchords (4:00)
11. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - "Soft Shock" - It's Blitz! (3:53)
12. Phoenix - "1901" - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix (3:12)
I’ve only heard a bit of this song in that car commercial. The rest is quite good.

13. U2 - "When I Look At The World" - All That You Can't Leave Behind (4:16)
I like the transition into this song.

14. Doves - "Snowden" - Some Cities (4:11)
Gorgeous song. The last three tracks sound like they could have been on the same album. They fit together that well.

15. Coldplay - "Strawberry Swing" - Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends (4:07)
Four straight songs that are absolutely perfect together.

16. Grizzly Bear - "Two Weeks" - Veckatimest (4:03)
17. Broken Social Scene - "Lover's Spit" - You Forgot It In People (6:22)
18. The Flaming Lips - "Do You Realize??" - Yoshimi Battles The Pink Robots (3:32)
19. Bon Iver - "Skinny Love" - For Emma, Forever Ago (3:55)

Five Favorite Things About The Playlist:
1. The stretch of songs from 1901 through Strawberry Swing was just :drool:
2. A very unified and fun listening experience. Through two playlists, I’m surprise about how synergized all the songs have been considering the theme of this tournament.
3. Fake Empire through Lost Cause was a nice stretch during the playlist.
4. Absolutely loaded with great songs.
5. The cover and title are classic.

:up:

Just noticed Jive Turkey also included "Six Days." It's not quite enough to make up for your crimes, but it's a start.

Golden Age was just narrowly culled from my list too. I think I'm gonna like yours

Thanks a bunch, Justin. Glad it was a fun listen for you. :up: The format of this tournament implies casual listening, so I selected that conservative track listing for that very reason. I can save the weightier shit for the 160 minute installments of DI.

Listened to Ax's list yesterday, some parts were amazing, some parts were stuff I'd never listen to outside of a DI, you can probably guess what they are :wink:

Suicide By Star is a bloody amazing song though, wish I remembered it when making my list.

Overall slightly edges out AtomicBono's but both are great

I listened to Zoots' playlist this morning. I knew I'd like it, because I had all but one song already (never was a big Tori Amos fan).

The one-two punch of Everything In Its Right Place and Bliss was probably my favorite part. While I'm not necessarily putting a lot of emphasis on strong structure and sequencing this time, these two went together perfectly. Bonus points for that.

I also like that he covered the whole decade fairly evenly, making for a balanced set.

I would have chosen different songs from some of the artists here, but I'm nitpicking now.

This playlist will probably do well in my rankings.

Got through both Imperor's and Pfan's lists, I'll keep it brief.

Imps: Love how you establish a solid mood throughout and cover a fair amount of my favorite artists of the decade. Its brevity definitely worked to its advantage, felt like the perfect time for those set of songs. Plus, "Banshee Beat" was a fucking revelation and renewed my interest in listening to some pre-Strawberry Jam Animal Collective, and I thank you for that.

Pfan: I think I had all of these tracks apart from THE FRUSC! song, and a lot of them I would consider for a list like this (especially "Summertime Clothes," good thinking!). It covers a decent variety of genres, too, and never feels stagnant, which I'll always champion; that must be especially hard in an 80-minute format. I had heard "One Day Like This" multiple times, but it didn't really hit until I heard it here. This and LM's list will probably align the closest to my tastes (surprise!) so we'll see how the rest pan out.

Next up will be Lance's and OneBlood's.

Glad you enjoyed it. I imagine the Frusciante song is the only one most people won't have.

Axver

1. Alcest - "Printemps Emeraude" - Souvenirs D'un Autre Monde, 2007 (7:20)
Fantastic song. Great opening to the playlist.

2. Tinariwen - "Matadjem Yinmixan" - Aman Iman: Water Is Life, 2007 (5:45)
You had this song on another playlist and I really liked it. It’s nice to hear something so different make it onto a playlist in this particular tournament.

3. Porcupine Tree - "The Rest Will Flow" - Lightbulb Sun, 2000 [2008 remaster] (3:18)
This was actually a song that just missed my own playlist due to time constraints.

4. God Is An Astronaut - "Suicide By Star" - All Is Violent, All Is Bright, 2005 (4:38)
Perhaps the best post-rock song ever.

5. Jesu - "The Stars That Hang Above You" - Envy/Jesu split EP, 2008 (7:36)
6. Pure Reason Revolution - "Deus Ex Machina" - Amor Vincit Omnia, 2009 (5:41)
7. Melechesh - "Leper Jerusalem" - Emissaries, 2006 (3:49)
8. Agalloch - "In The Shadow Of Our Pale Companion" - The Mantle, 2002 (14:46)
9. Anathema - "Release" - A Fine Day To Exit, 2001 (5:48)
10. Blackfield - "Epidemic" - Blackfield II, 2007 (4:59)
Gorgeous song.

11. 65 Days Of Static - "Radio Protector" - One Time For All Time, 2005 (5:26)
Nice song.

12. Russian Circles - "Verses" - Station, 2008 (8:43)
The pairing of the last song and this one is excellent. Fantastic closing song.

My Favorite Things About The Playlist:
1. Incredibly unified and put together. It sounds like it could be an actual album and a damn good album at that.
2. The opening three tracks worked well together. Matadjem Yinmixan into The Rest Will Flow was a good transition.
3. Suicide By Star and the Jesu track work well together.
4. I enjoyed the ending tracks a lot. Verses was a good choice to go out on.
5. As with the other playlists I’ve heard, it’s loaded with great songs.

Lanceypants:

Had a good amount of the tracks beforehand, but hadn't given some of them the listen they required. I thought here you developed a strong balance between featuring great tracks and interesting sequencing; I had to check to see if "Drops in the River" and "Brainy" were the same song or not, which is always a good sign. Of the songs I was unfamiliar with, the Ba-jork track really jumped out at me. I find the vocals on some of her songs to be way too over the place and here it was perfect and understated for the most part.

I would've rather it ended with "All My Friends," since "Casimir Pulaski Day," as awesome as it is, sounded a little out of place, but that doesn't matter too much. Great set.

Just went through pfan's playlist, where I had all but two of the songs already. Hell, I even had that Wilco song from a previous DI, cuz otherwise I wouldn't have had that, either.

Another great playlist; most of these songs are ones I have and totally dig, so it's probably not a surprise that I'd like this. And every time I hear a pfan list it reminds me that I still have to check out Frusciante's solo material, because I enjoy every song I'm introduced to. Still could do without the Wilco though.

Perhaps the only thing I'd change is adding a few more songs from earlier in the decade, as this is quite heavy on the last few years, but in the end, that's an inconsequential detail.

I have no idea how the hell I'm gonna rank these when I'm done, if they are all as good as these first two.

Lanceypants:

Had a good amount of the tracks beforehand, but hadn't given some of them the listen they required. I thought here you developed a strong balance between featuring great tracks and interesting sequencing; I had to check to see if "Drops in the River" and "Brainy" were the same song or not, which is always a good sign. Of the songs I was unfamiliar with, the Ba-jork track really jumped out at me. I find the vocals on some of her songs to be way too over the place and here it was perfect and understated for the most part.

I would've rather it ended with "All My Friends," since "Casimir Pulaski Day," as awesome as it is, sounded a little out of place, but that doesn't matter too much. Great set.

So you're saying you haven't listened to Verpertine? My God, Jim!

You should correct that. It's probably her most understated album, as you pointed out too, so you'll probably dig it. It has an overwhelming majority of my top favorite Bjork songs as well (Heirloom and Hidden Place notably), even it isn't quite as mind-blowing or accomplished a work of art as Homogenic on the whole.

I fussed over the ending quite a bit actually. I couldn't find a decent place to fit the Sufjan song otherwise, so I figured I'd end things rather violently with the Nick Cave cut and All My Friends, and hope Sufjan would function more or less as a coda if that makes sense. Especially since it's just depressing as fuck. Probably my favorite song on the playlist as well.

So you're saying you haven't listened to Verpertine? My God, Jim!

You should correct that. It's probably her most understated album, as you pointed out too, so you'll probably dig it. It has an overwhelming majority of my top favorite Bjork songs as well (Heirloom and Hidden Place notably), even it isn't quite as mind-blowing or accomplished a work of art as Homogenic on the whole.

I fussed over the ending quite a bit actually. I couldn't find a decent place to fit the Sufjan song otherwise, so I figured I'd end things rather violently with the Nick Cave cut and All My Friends, and hope Sufjan would function more or less as a coda if that makes sense. Especially since it's just depressing as fuck. Probably my favorite song on the playlist as well.

I hadn't even heard of it, actually. I'll have to check it out now.

The other possible placements for "Casimir" that I could suggest is between The F'Lips and Iron & Wine tracks or Iron & Wine and Wilco tracks. The coda idea makes sense. Yeah, it almost made my list as well.

Zoots

1. Radiohead - "Everything In Its Right Place" - Kid A
2. Muse - "Bliss" - Origin Of Symmetry
3. Tori Amos - "I Can't See New York" - Scarlet's Walk
One of her most beautiful songs.

4. Bruce Springsteen - "You're Missing" - The Rising
I’ve never heard this song before and it’s pretty good. It goes very well with Tori’s song.

5. Coldplay - "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face" - A Rush Of Blood To The Head
6. Snow Patrol - "How To Be Dead" - Final Straw
7. Interpol - "NYC" - Turn On The Bright Lights
8. Arcade Fire - "Keep The Car Running" - Neon Bible
9. The White Stripes - "The Hardest Button To Button" - Elephant
10. The Killers - "Smile Like You Mean It" - Hot Fuss
11. Franz Ferdinand - "Dark Of The Matinee" - Franz Ferdinand
12. Pearl Jam - "Gone" - Pearl Jam
One of my favorite Pearl Jam songs of the decade.

13. R.E.M. - "Sing For The Submarine" – Accelerate
I love transition into this.

14. Porcupine Tree - "Lazarus" – Deadwing
Beautiful song.

15. Sigur Ros - "Saeglopur" - Takk...
One of my favorite songs by them.

16. Keane - "Bedshaped" - Hopes And Fears
17. U2 - "Cedars Of Lebanon" - No Line On The Horizon
Another good song.

My Five Favorite Things About The Playlist
1. I Can’t See New York and You’re Missing are perfect together. I can’t explain what it is but they are made for each other.
2. Many of the songs are a bit slower in tempo. Maybe since I’m listening to this on a cold, quiet night those songs resonate with me.
3. Many of the songs are among my favorites by some of these artists.
4. I love Cedars of Lebanon as the closer.
5. Many great songs.

"You're Missing" is probably my favorite tune on The Risin'. Just saying.

I've thrown a few of yall's lists on an mp3 CD to listen during my travels this weekend. Full report to come.

Listened to LM's this morning. Let's see, I had all but three of these songs, so again, was familiar with most of it.

I obviously liked it for the most part. I don't particularly care for the TV On The Radio song chosen to lead things off, but after that, it was great, with only a couple of exceptions. I really dug the Fake Empire -> Kissing The Lipless section, as well as the trio of Snowden, Strawberry Swing, and Two Weeks.

I'd probably place it just behind pfan.

If you all were allowed just one more song/album to include beyond the 80 min time limit, what would it be?

For me, it has to be Green Day's American Idiot, possibly Jesus Of Suburbia or Holiday. I was listening to it today. Such a consistent and enjoyable album! Quite possibly my favourite one of 2004. It was a pretty glaring omission from my list and I feel bad about it. It will definitely go on my 2 CD set of the decade's best songs!

I would have chosen different songs from some of the artists here, but I'm nitpicking now.

Just curious. Which ones?

12. Pearl Jam - "Gone" - Pearl Jam
One of my favorite Pearl Jam songs of the decade.

1. I Can’t See New York and You’re Missing are perfect together. I can’t explain what it is but they are made for each other.

I love Gone too. But another reason for including it was, I also wanted to somewhat capture the political atmosphere during this decade. That is why I feel bad for not including American Idiot. But Holiday's ending wouldn't segue well into anything and Jesus Of Suburbia is too long.

The Tori Amos and Bruce songs are both about 9/11. That's maybe why they sound perfect together. And of course both have a slower tempo.

Thanks for listening, guys! I will try and post my own thoughts on some of the lists over the weekend.

Just curious. Which ones?

Specifically, Pearl Jam and R.E.M. While the tunes are good, they probably rate somewhere in the middle for me from the albums they come from.

I actually almost included Green Day as well. I wanted Jesus Of Suburbia, but its length made it difficult. Letterbomb was an option as well.

Ok, finally have a night off, so I'm going to start this. Let's begin with the most recently received links...Zoots!

Almost done with what has proved to be a fantastic list, and I just remembered, I've also heard LemonMelon's list. Zoots and he both have fantastic entries to this contest. Great picks, Zoots, and it also flowed really well. If nothing else, my only thing would be (This is going to be so weird coming from me) is that the list is VERY "dark"...pretty much these are all downer songs :lol:.

If you all were allowed just one more song/album to include beyond the 80 min time limit, what would it be?

I think the last song I cut was No-Man's Truenorth, in favour of the Anathema and Blackfield tracks.

But if I could have one song, any song, it'd be Stranger In Your Soul by Transatlantic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom