Best non-U2 gig you've been to this year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1stepcloser

Rock n' Roll Doggie
As the year of 2005 draws to a close, let's find out what everyone's favourite non-U2 gig was!

Mine would have to be the Kings of Leon at the Cardiff Arena this July. I got right to the front and they rocked that place to it's core. Me and my mate were planning on going for a drink afterwards but we were just too exhausted and drenched in sweat to even consider staying out! but it was sooooo worth it....

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

I don't think I can point out a single gig, but I think a top 3 is also OK. :wink:

In chronological order:
-> Elvis Costello & The Imposters - 28 January, Vredenburg, Utrecht
Elvis came out, made a rocking intro of playing 5 or 6 songs without as much as catching a breath between the songs. Then he announces he has throat problems and that we may choose between postponing the concert or letting him play for as long as he can play. The concert ends more than 2 hours later (I think he played a total of 31 songs!)

-> Jasper Steverlinck - 17 November, Tivoli De Helling, Utrecht
It was the fourth time in 12 months that I saw him and he has almost the same setlist every time. But the crowd and his performance pulled me totally into it. What a voice!

-> Franz Ferdinand - 11 December, Heineken Music Hall, Amsterdam
I was exhausted from my trip to the USA (only arrived back home around 8AM that morning), couldn't walk, dance or stand much so went to the seated section and sat for the whole concert ( :reject: ). Still, it was excellent. Great light show too.

Honorary mention:
-> Suzanne Vega - 16 June, Ancienne Belgique, Brussels
Due to my stay in Brussels for my work I couldn't go to the Finn Brothers concert in Amsterdam. But Suzanne made up for it. Great voice, great personality, great songs.

---Black Rebel Motorcycle Club at Union Square Virgin Records and Irving Plaza :combust: (And got to meet the guys!!!)

---Fiona Apple at Nokia Theatre in Times Square

---Beck, The Raveonettes, Interpol and the Killers at Across the Narrows

---Snow Patrol at the State Theatre in St. Pete :heart:

---Interpol at Jannus Landing in St. Pete :combust:

Bonochick said:
I didn't see any other concerts. :reject:

:hug:

Tha's ok. I didn't get to see any concerts at all this year. Not even Jeff Tweedy solo show a freaking 2.26 miles from my door. :mad: :sad:

Bonochick said:
I didn't see any other concerts. :reject:

Neither did I. Because none of the bands I like seem to know about that rather large island that exists off the eastern coast of Canada.

U2 are the only band I'd spend excessive amounts of money to see, so the show I saw in Toronto was my only show for the year. I swear, if I were to miraculously form a successful band, I would always tour in Newfoundland and Atlantic Canada - the region in North America that most big bands tend to forget about. :mad:

Coldplay (twice), Wilco, Robert Plant, The Arcade Fire, Bright Eyes, Muse, Keane

I've seen some great shows this year, those are just the best of the best

Coldplay- Crystal Palace, London

Live 8- Hyde Park London

oh and Rob Thomas does that count?:wink:

aaah, that reminds me

Brian Wilson - Glastonbury Festival

I absolutely loved it! Nothing but pure sunshine and good music after two days of it just pissing it down with rain! When he played 'Our Prayer/Heroes and Villains' I had a 'moment'...truly amazing and I'd always wanted to hear that that live!

inmyplace13 said:
Coldplay (twice), Wilco, Robert Plant, The Arcade Fire, Bright Eyes, Muse, Keane

I've seen some great shows this year, those are just the best of the best

I'd LOVE to see Muse live, I only have Absolution and Origin Of Symmetery but I think their songs are amazing.....

Green Day at Milton Keynes was fantastic, I've never been to anything like it - incredible.

Live 8 was okay, the atmosphere was good, but the crowd was boring, there was too many people standing around not even moving to the music.

Bright Eyes ...it was a very small venue in an almost nonexistent town and I was smack in the front ...my elbows were literally on the stage.....played a good variety of songs...good energy...and I got some autographs after the show

Interpol was pretty cool
& Kings of Leon too

Bruce Springsteen in Milwaukee.

Bob Dylan is a close runner-up, and would have been first if he played for longer than 80 minutes!

Matt786 said:

Bob Dylan is a close runner-up, and would have been first if he played for longer than 80 minutes!

:ohmy:

How much was he charging for tickets?

Back
Top Bottom