Best non-U2 gig you've been to this year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
HelloAngel said:
---Fiona Apple at Nokia Theatre in Times Square

awesome. i was wondering if you had gone to see her. i would like to hear all about what you thought of the show. i wrote up my review in my journal.

i saw her at house of blues here in las vegas a few weeks ago, and it was not only the best show i saw this year, it was the best show i've ever seen, period.

bonosgirl84 said:

awesome. i was wondering if you had gone to see her. i would like to hear all about what you thought of the show. i wrote up my review in my journal.

i saw her at house of blues here in las vegas a few weeks ago, and it was not only the best show i saw this year, it was the best show i've ever seen, period.

When FiFi goes on tour it's always an event for me. It was when we saw her so young and new on the Tidal tour, and it is finally almost 10 years later, almost the same experience.

She was, as always, fucking phenomenal. Her lyrics really hurt to listen to them as a female. She's one of the very, very few female songwriters that NAIL the female side of any and all experiences. Her lyrics do not get celebrated enough. She is truly a prodigy, endlessly talented and completely, utterly herself. And I love her for it. I love her for standing up there and telling me how I feel inside, and how I react to things in my own life.

I was very ill when I saw her Sunday night, so was not able to get there early to line up. Should she tour when the weather is warmer, I'll most definitely get there early to be up close. She blows my mind in a time when most artists just let me down. But as a girl, she makes me so fucking proud.

I'm sick even now, so the depth to which I feel for her is not coming to me easily. I blame Sudafed, Benadryl and everything else I've been drinking for the last two months while I adjust to NYC winters.

GibsonGirl said:

Neither did I. Because none of the bands I like seem to know about that rather large island that exists off the eastern coast of Canada.

It's so true about the last part. Most big bands ignore us. I'm holding out hope that The Arcade Fire might visit next year when they tour. I think that's quite possible, because they're Canadian--at least this is what I'm telling myself...*glass half full, glass half full*..:happy:

Speaking of us little people out east, the best non-U2 shows I saw this year were the two Pearl Jam shows in St. John's. They were completely into it, and gave two passionate performances...:up:

GibsonGirl said:

:ohmy:

How much was he charging for tickets?

The tickets were $50. This was during his summer tour with Willie Nelson, so the overall concert was still pretty long. But I'm not much of a Willie Nelson fan, so I was disappointed that Dylan didn't play longer (only 13 songs I think).

Los Lonely Boys in Muskegon Michigan.

One of those just tag along with a bunch of my friends deals, knew two of their songs ahead of time. Pleasantly surprised, just a great live band. :up:

Then again, I didnt go to many concerts other than U2 this year. :shrug:

HelloAngel said:

---Snow Patrol at the State Theatre in St. Pete :heart:

:up: Despite the heat that show f'ing rocked. I absolutely cannot wait for the new album and a new tour of the states! :yes:

But I think my top show this year has to go to

Oasis, Jet, and Kasabian in Atlanta :drool:

Three of my favorite bands playing straight up rock n' roll... my ears were ringing for a week.

1) bloc party in philadelphia
2) nine inch nails in dc
3) sleater-kinney in dc
4) muse in raleigh, nc
5) secret machines in dc

and quite a few others actually, but those were the best. great concert year, even without the 7 (soon to be 8) u2 shows i attended!

Hallucination said:
Nine Inch Nails in Edmonton
:up:

and,

the arcade fire - edmonton
broken social scene - edmonton
the arcade fire - ottawa (opening for U2 - does that still count?)

Total U2 Nut said:

Green Day at Milton Keynes was fantastic, I've never been to anything like it - incredible.

:up:

Green Day in Melbourne this year - took my daughter and had an absolute ball! Those guys know how to put on a show!

Would love to see Arcade Fire - fingers crossed for next year :)

Mark Knopfler, London Ont. July 7th

First, Mark Knopfler is one of the most technically talented, cleanest, best guitar players alive. Second, dire straits songs rule. Third, I didn't have to sit through stupid fricking Dashboard Confessional. So, this was better than the U2 show I went to see in Toronto anyway, just because of point number 3. But in any case... yeah.

That being said, I saw ZZ Top on July 22nd, and that was a pretty rockin show too. Not U2 good, but, ZZ Top still kick ass.

Total U2 Nut said:

Green Day at Milton Keynes was fantastic, I've never been to anything like it - incredible.

a mate of mine was at that, he really like it too :up:

~unforgettableFOXfire~ said:
Mark Knopfler, London Ont. July 7th

First, Mark Knopfler is one of the most technically talented, cleanest, best guitar players alive. Second, dire straits songs rule.

:yes: I saw him a week after you did :up:

1. Mark Knopfler in Chicago
2. Dave Matthews Band in Kansas City
3. Bruce Cockburn in Madison

including U2 i drove to 5 concerts that were at least 5 hours away from here this year :rockon:

mainly because no one tours within 5 hours of here :wink:

Wilco (Denver & Abq)
Bruce Springsteen (Denver)
Tori Amos (Red Rocks)

Hmmm...I'm not really sure what order I'd put them in, but:

Paul McCartney
Coldplay
The Rolling Stones (all at MSG)
Alanis Morissette at Roseland Ballroom

Honorable mention to Arcade Fire at Central Park Summer Stage. I can't properly throw them into the main list, because I just listened to the show from outside in the park, but it certainly sounded like one hell of a show!!!

Duran Duran - first time I've seen the original five and they were amazing. Plus they played in this swank, old-school opera house.

IGGY POP AND THE STOOGES!!!!!!! :hyper: :rockon:

Fucking amazing concert!!! Iggy is an insane performer! He jumped on the crowd twice, called out the crowd to the stage, sang No Fun with some 10-15 people on stage pulling him, told MTV to go fuck itself, sat on an amp and started swinging it and making sexual poses, broke a camera and threw what he broke to the crowd, screamed his ass off, showed us his ass, spoke with the crowd about Brazil and did I Wanna Be Your Dog two times. The Stooges were awesome too. Ron Asheton was playing better than he used to play when he was younger, shredding and throwing guitar riffs all around. Pete Marshall on the bass was pretty hyped as well, going everywhere and Scott Asheton on the drums was great too, the drums were magnificent, really loud and HARD!

NIN was not bad either. I quit enjoyed them actually.

all of them!!(ie i havnt been to a u2 gig this year)

seriously though

THE CHURCH.

hands
down

if you ever get the chance

DO IT

Back
Top Bottom