Best Non-U2 concert

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My best non-U2 shows are Springsteen and the Billy Joel/Elton John show I saw in DC this past winter.

As for having the best time at a show, definitely Jimmy Buffett's concerts!

[This message has been edited by Clark W. Griswold, Jr (edited 05-10-2002).]

Springsteen *with* the E.Street Band
----------------------------------------
Honorable mention: The Police (Amnesty Reunion), Pink Floyd, the Stones, Prince, Journey/Bryan Adams (Frontiers tour), Lenny Kravitz, Bon Jovi, John Mellencamp, the Who, Billy Joel, Aerosmith, the Eagles, Motley Crue/GnR (Girs,Girls,Girls -- Axl got thrown in jail *during* the show in Atlanta)....

That's toughie. My first concert was The Stones in 1989 for Steel Wheels. They were awesome. I saw Pink Floyd in 1994. That was awesome too. The first time I saw Pearl Jam was in 1996 at Randall's Island in NY. That was amazing. I had general admission seats for PJ. We were crammed like sardines and Eddie Vedder stopped the show and told everybody to move back. He was very concerned with the fans safety. The fans complied and we all had a great time.

------------------
The goal is ELEVATION!

Definitely Jane's Addiction

1991 - I ended up laying in a puddle of mud during the first Lollapalooza with nothing left on me but a pair of army shorts and boots. Next to me was a woman breastfeeding her baby, and the band came on in the middle of a rain storm.

the First Relapse Tour - New York City on Halloween, I will never forget the version they did of Three Days, I thought I was going to go crazy.

Coming in close thirds would have to be:

NIN / Marylin Manson / Jim Rose Side Show on the floor @ MSG

Tragically Hip - 2nd row at some small theater in Syracuse

Pearl Jam - on the floor in Massaachusetts (cannot remember the name of the town, but it was not Boston)

Originally posted by MrPryck2U:
The first time I saw Pearl Jam was in 1996 at Randall's Island in NY. That was amazing.

I drove down from Boston for that show (the first show, Saturday night). Being from Mass, I had no idea what kind of venue Downing Stadium was. Boy they had to dig deep to find a non-Ticketmaster venue...that place should be condemned, and traffic getting off the island was brutal. But a great show.

[This message has been edited by Hewson (edited 05-10-2002).]

Another vote for the Boss back in his heyday.

Other favorites in no particular order...
Tom Waits
Roy Orbison
Jeff Buckley
Tori Amos
R.E.M.
David Bowie
Elvis Costello
Daniel Lanois
Jane Siberry

The big guys like the Who and the Stones do not even make my top 20, oddly.

And I saw DMB for the first time last night and I went from being a casual fan to really appreciating them live. I know, there is a hostility towards them on this forum that defies logic, but they are amazing live. I don't care what anyone says, Dave's voice live is stunning, and he's got a powerful stage presence oozing charisma. The musicians are unbelievable and they all project a really great, joyful kind of energy and play off each other beautifully. Songs I skip over on CD totally rocked live. I loved the show. Plus, Dave just seems like the nicest guy in the world. I think most people who hate hearing them on the radio would be surprised by the live experience of them.

Okay, sorry, I'm done now. For now.
biggrin.gif

Depeche Mode: September, 1993, MSG: my 2nd favorite band; great show on "Songs of Faith & Devotion Tour"

The Eagles: "Hell Freezes Over Tour," Nassau Coliseum, 1996-3 hours of great songs!

Metallica/Guns-N-Roses(Faith No More Opened): Giants Stadium, 1992; Unbelievable; GNR walked off a little early and Metallica stole the show.

As of last night, Midnight Oil. Probably better than U2, at least as far as being six feet from the stage in a lovely small venue for $50 instead of miles for almost $100. It was the Commodore in Vancouver--when U2 played GM Place last year, Bono mentioned the Commodore as the first place U2 played in Vancouver. Not that U2 wasn't great--but the seating was a bit frustrating. The Oils were amazing. So much energy, I couldn't believe it. They're playing a second show tonight--wish I was going again, but I almost feel tired at the very thought!

Oh, this is really weird...by the end of the show, for some reason, I was finding Peter Garrett (the six-and-a-half feet tall, bald, somewhat frightening looking lead singer with hands like dinner plates)...kind of attractive.

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif

------------------
See the bird with the leaf in her mouth
After the flood all the colours came out

[This message has been edited by scatteroflight (edited 05-12-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom