Best music to make art by

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
Hey everyone. My job is sedentary. At least for now. I'm a resident director at a small college and exams are about to start. That means my RAs won't be able to cover any days and I'm stuck on campus for a few weeks. I'd like to use some of that free time to get back to making art, which is something I really love and kind of miss. I'm putting together a playlist, probably really long and just something I can hit shuffle and run with, of songs that are good for artistic ambience. Suggestions?

Any music by female solo artists such as Kate Bush, Tori Amos and Aimee Mann. Female solo artists evoke passion and colors inside a listener when you aren't concentrating on the music. The duet of music and the female voice can be the useful tool in creating. You'll find the art gaining a life of its own while you are painting. If you don't have them, you should pick up Whatever, Hounds Of Love, The Dreaming and From The Choirgirl Hotel.

Screwtape2 said:
Honestly, I think painting to Pink Floyd might result in some disturbing art not to mention a lot of pigs.

:lol: Maybe if you paint to Jugband Blues. :drunk:

I'd like to paint to Meddle or The Division Bell.

I like to listen to music when I write, especially jazz. I really only got into Pink Floyd in the last few months, though, and I wrote a lot to Dark Side of the Moon. Chet Baker is my favorite jazz musician--he's an amazing trumpeter, and his voice is like a dream.

I'd say try listening to a different kind of music every day while you work for maybe a week. It will be interesting to see if the finished products end up any different based on the music you were listening to while you made them.

That's a good point :up:

"Timmy, why's your finger painting covered in blood?"

"Oh, I was listening to some Slayer this weekend." :macdevil:

Non lyrical music where the thinking hasn't already been done for you.

I like a lot of that atmospheric Buddhist monk stuff. Seriously.

I listen just some hard rock and ofcourse u2. I like the 80's music also, Enya, I think Kate Bush is good too.

I would also go back to the Doors and the Who.

Passengers - Original Soundtracks 1
Radiohead - Kid A
David Bowie - Low
U2 - Zooropa
Super Furry Animals - Love Kraft
Sigur Ros - ( )
Massive Attack - Mezzanine

Anything by Miles Davis, John Coltrane, or Brian Eno would be good as well.

Post-rock:

sigur ros
gods-pee (godspeed you black emperor)
silver mt. zion
explosions in the sky
mogwai
rachel's
grails
red sparowes
russian circles
yndi (freaking) halda
the samuel jackson five
the ascent of everest
maserati
ef
french teen idol

all that crap I like

What sort of art do you want to make? That can make a big difference.

I listen to a lot of different stuff when I'm drawing or painting, though for some reason Ravel stood out for me immediately. A lot of pre-1960 music gives me inspiration, whether vocal or instrumental the first half or so of the century just had a creatove vibe that I think has been mostly lost over the past five decades.

Zootlesque said:

:lmao: WTF are you talking about? Enigma's Gregorian chants? :drool: :wink:

Nope, I am talking about the original deal with the Buddhist Monks with out modern remixes. It's not the only thing that works....but it does jar ideas loose from time to time (for me anyway)

William Basinski owns this thread.

Well...after Brian Eno sold it to him at a discounted rate, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom