Best Male Vocalists?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i dunno, where's the thread for the best vocalists?

my top 20 list hereby goes as:

20 serj tankian - the system of a down guy takes singing to a new level with his unique armenian style

19 win butler - the arcade fire's front man - inobtrusive, yet his vocals suit the quirkiness and thus enigma which have enveloped this group

18 dave gahan - of depeche mode - in his prime - around the Violator period, his voice could be powerful and reach tremendous emotional depths

17 jeff buckley

16 roger daultrey - of the who

15 dave gilmour - of pink floyd - we all know what he sounds like

14 jonsi - from sigur ros

13 liam gallagher - of oasis - a total tosspot and a half but a great singer

12 chris martin - of coldplay

11 kurt cobain - better known for his guitar work but lets not dismiss his vocal stylings

10 jack white - the white stripes - leading vocalist

9 bryan ferry

8 damon albarn

7 mick hucknall

6 david byrne - influential in that he made it ok to have a weird sounding voice

5 michael hutchence

4 thom yorke - he has the weirdest voice, yet when you put patience and time into devoting time into the lyrics and the way he delivers

3 bono - we all know about him and what hes capable of

2. michael stipe - r.e.m. - has the best voice for a normal person, the production of his vocals on the 'automatic for the people' album

1. joshua homme - queens of the stone age - probably the ideal front man for any band, tall, clean cut and someone you dont want to mess with, sweet soulful sounding pipes

jefftweedybluesfestng0.jpg

Who is that? Jeff Tweedy?

Robert Plant
Eddie Vedder
David Gilmour
John Lennon
Perry Farrell
Axl Rose
Jeff Tweedy
The guy from Blur (damien someone)
David Gahan
Robert Smith
The guy from the Stone Roses (Ian someone)
Kevin Sheilds
Ian MacKaye
Glenn Danzig (Misfits era)
David Bowie
Paul Westerburg
John Frusciante (when he sings)
Frank Black
Shane MacGowan
George Clinton

Not really in any order.

I would have put Yorke and Martin on the 'worst' list. White is certainly unique in his vocal delivery and it works for his songs but I would hardly call him a great voice or singer. Same can actually be said of Lennon, Cobain and Rose. And where is our Bono? You all forgot him!

Please tell me we're just talking about lead singers of bands, because the first list had ZERO black men, and the last one only listed George Clinton?

lazarus said:
Please tell me we're just talking about lead singers of bands, because the first list had ZERO black men, and the last one only listed George Clinton?

I defaulted to rock bands, yes. That's where my head is at usually. Marvin Gaye, Michael Jackson, Smoky Robinson, etc all would have made a list if I just included everyone. Most of the rock guys would probably disappear. And I guess I also approached it from "front man" more than "vocalist."

Damn, Jim Morrison - I totally forgot about him. And Chris Cornell.

My list = D- . :(

Last edited:
CrashedCarDriver said:

2. michael stipe - r.e.m. - has the best voice for a normal person,

I don't even know what this means. :huh: Michael is normal?

Wierd list, some of those can't even properly sing.

And who wants a clean cut rock star?

Well, you could just list him yourself, dear heart. :kiss:

Seriously - how about listing those artists you like instead of scolding everyone else for keeping the Black Man down?

corianderstem said:
Well, you could just list him yourself, dear heart. :kiss:

Seriously - how about listing those artists you like instead of scolding everyone else for keeping the Black Man down?

:lol: :up:

and for whoever was shocked that Bono wasn't on any lists, he's #3 on the first list.

lazarus said:
FIGHT THE POWER!!

Now, THAT'S the spirit!

You know whose voice I really like? Mark Lanegan. (ooh, I'm looping in the grunge thread!)

Chris Cornell has a great rock voice, but I never really cared for Soundgarden.

And just so my post has some diversity, I love Stevie Wonder's voice, Sam Cooke's voice, and Marvin Gaye's voice.

MORRISSEY
MORRISSEY
MORRISSEY
MORRISSEY
MORRISSEY
MORRISSEY
MORRISSEY
MORRISSEY
MORRISSEY
MORRISSEY
MORRISSEY
MORRISSEY

tanner_sis said:

If you disagree, at least give the courtesy to take a few seconds to try to say why. I realize you're a kid still, but Morrissey crushes a large number of the mediocre and unimportant vocalists others have listed here. The Smiths define an era and led the way for so many bands it's ridiculous, and it would be hard to not give Moz's lyrics and vocals a great deal of the credit.

Seriously though, if you're going to crap on my favorite singer, at least do it in comprehensible manner.

Words > Smilies

Last edited:
Freddie Mercury is hard to top...just amazing.

I think Thom Yorke has a great voice, same for Jack White...Neil Young. Eddie Vedder. Bono.

u2popmofo said:
If you disagree, at least give the courtesy to take a few seconds to try to say why. I realize you're a kid still, but Morrissey crushes a large number of the mediocre and unimportant vocalists others have listed here. The Smiths define an era and led the way for so many bands it's ridiculous, and it would be hard to not give Moz's lyrics and vocals a great deal of the credit.

Seriously though, if you're going to crap on my favorite singer, at least do it in comprehensible manner.

Words > Smilies

That was beautiful.

And Brau, are you sure Otis is all right in that picture? He looks like he's in vast amounts of pain. That poor, poor, wonderfully-voiced man. :sad:

No particular order...

Bono
Jeff Buckley
Roy Orbison
Marvin Gaye
Smokey Robinson
Freddie Mercury
Robert Plant
Peter Gabriel
Bruce Springsteen (not a "pretty" voice, but so much emotion)
Eddie Vedder (ditto)
Morrissey (so smooooth)
David Bowie
Otis Redding
Roger Daltry
Chris Cornell
Rod Stewart (lots of subpar material, but still a great voice)
Curtis Mayfield
Fran Healy
Michael Hutchence
Johnny Cash (just because there is and was no one like him)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom