Best Male Vocalists?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
u2popmofo said:

If you disagree, at least give the courtesy to take a few seconds to try to say why. I realize you're a kid still, but Morrissey crushes a large number of the mediocre and unimportant vocalists others have listed here. The Smiths define an era and led the way for so many bands it's ridiculous, and it would be hard to not give Moz's lyrics and vocals a great deal of the credit.

Seriously though, if you're going to crap on my favorite singer, at least do it in comprehensible manner.

Words > Smilies
HAHAHA "I realize you're still a kid" HAHA really if that is what comes out of your mouth FUCK OFF back to moz.. I dont like him he is a total prick and much more and really I cant stand to listen to him whine like a fucking dying animal! kill it already!

my fav singers..(in no order)

isaac brock
johnny marr
ben bridewell
neil finn
matt johnson
liam/noel gallagher
robyn hitchcock
barney sumner (at times grr)
billie joe armstrong
peter hook
david potts
sam jayne
karl bartos
honus honus
dexter (the offspring)
simon/garfunkel
david byrne

tanner_sis said:
HAHAHA "I realize you're still a kid" HAHA really if that is what comes out of your mouth FUCK OFF back to moz.. I dont like him he is a total prick and much more and really I cant stand to listen to him whine like a fucking dying animal! kill it already!

First, the "kid" statement was meant to be a qualifier for admitting that I realize that Morrissey likely wouldn't mean crap to someone who's 18 in comparison to someone who grew up when The Smiths were actually making music and lived during the era.

Second, not liking someone or someone's music is a horrible reason for crapping on another person's tastes. There are countless fantastic artists out there that I personally don't like, it doesn't mean that they still aren't fantastic and important. Personal tastes are completely irrelevant in the matter. In the same regard, you list numerous people who are supposedly also "total pricks". It's quite arbitrary, and hardly has anything to do with someone being or not being a good vocalist.

Third, as a Johnny Marr avatar sporting fan, is it weird to hate Morrissey despite the fact that all of Marr's most respected and influential work was in The Smiths? I don't ask that tick you off, I'm seriously interested in your outlook on the whole thing.

Last edited:
In no order and I will not include you know who:

Elvis (I can't think of anyone feeling more at home in various styles of music)

Roy Orbison/Freddie Mercury (best rock singers, hands down)

Otis Redding (he got soul) Jackie Wilson.

Sinatra (no one did big band music like him)

More recently, Eddie Vedder. How many singers today imitate him ?

Last edited:
tanner_sis said:
Moz may be a prick... but he's an awesome prick with cool hair and a cooler voice! Hard to beat! He's a bitchy old hag and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Anyway, I'm only gunna list three I've been voice perving over lately, because three is a cool number and I'm too lazy to list more. :happy:

Freddie Mercury
David Byrne
Serj Tankian

steveperry772215ld9.jpg

Canadiens1160 said:

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

And I was just gonna say Steve Perry too. :wink:

Although, many think of the band Journey as cheesy (and let it be known that I never did)
I have to admit that Perry's vocals were indeed incredible.
Such powerful vocals ... there was absolutely nothing that this guy couldn't sing. :up:

Ryan Adams definitely has to be on the list
he actually is able to transform the way his voice sound according to the direction of the song (unlike some people who would even sound like a whininh gimp if they would cover REM's Shiny Happy People)
Carl Wilson has to be my favourite male vocalist ever
Bono and Stipe are special to me

it's quite hard finding good vocalists compared to the times of Al Green, Marvin Gaye, Sinatra, Otis etc though

u2popmofo said:

First, the "kid" statement was meant to be a qualifier for admitting that I realize that Morrissey likely wouldn't mean crap to someone who's 18 in comparison to someone who grew up when The Smiths were actually making music and lived during the era.

Second, not liking someone or someone's music is a horrible reason for crapping on another person's tastes. There are countless fantastic artists out there that I personally don't like, it doesn't mean that they still aren't fantastic and important. Personal tastes are completely irrelevant in the matter. In the same regard, you list numerous people who are supposedly also "total pricks". It's quite arbitrary, and hardly has anything to do with someone being or not being a good vocalist.

Third, as a Johnny Marr avatar sporting fan, is it weird to hate Morrissey despite the fact that all of Marr's most respected and influential work was in The Smiths? I don't ask that tick you off, I'm seriously interested in your outlook on the whole thing.
okay just because I didnt grow up when the smiths were around doesnt mean that I am less quailified than someone like yourself to appriciate their music/influnce/etc..so that statement is total bullshit

2 " In the same regard, you list numerous people who are supposedly also "total pricks". " hmm let me guess you are talking about Isaac for one? guess what..I know him quite fuckin well and hes not a prick at all you just have to know how to treat him and take him ..and still I dont like moz as a person or as a vocalist

3 yes im a massive johnny marr fan and none at all a moz fan ..wtf is so weird about that??? I know all about the smiths and johnny and still hate moz..and by far johnnys best work IMO has been after the smiths ..and i dont consider myself a fan of the smiths either..got a problem??

*backs up a bit, away from the flying pots and pans and other shit in the Morrissey fight. lol*

*bernard sumner (new order)
*isaac brock (Modest mouse)
*neil finn
matt johnson
simon and garfunkel (art has a voice of an angel)
*dave gahan
robert smith
ray davies
*roland orzabal/curt smith (tears for fears)
*jim kerr (simple minds)
i guess i have to list Morrissey... hes annoying and a total asshole, but he's a lyrical genius and though his voice isnt what id call pleasant and at times ear-piercingly annoying, it does work well with the songs and its definitely unique. *hides from tanner*
michael hutchence
daryl hall
*john wozniak (marcy playground)
tal bachman
david byrne
ali campbell (UB40)
van morrison
noel gallagher (when he does sing)
possibly Liam. again, a situation like with Morrissey.
brandon flowers
joe jackson
phil oakley (human league)
tim booth (james)
doug martsch

tanner_sis said:
okay just because I didnt grow up when the smiths were around doesnt mean that I am less quailified than someone like yourself to appriciate their music/influnce/etc..so that statement is total bullshit

2 " In the same regard, you list numerous people who are supposedly also "total pricks". " hmm let me guess you are talking about Isaac for one? guess what..I know him quite fuckin well and hes not a prick at all you just have to know how to treat him and take him ..and still I dont like moz as a person or as a vocalist

3 yes im a massive johnny marr fan and none at all a moz fan ..wtf is so weird about that??? I know all about the smiths and johnny and still hate moz..and by far johnnys best work IMO has been after the smiths ..and i dont consider myself a fan of the smiths either..got a problem??

and in regards to tanner's post. yes.. just because she isnt a huge smiths fan doesnt make her any less knowledged in music or lacking taste. from my knowing tanner, it seems the biggest thing is just moz himself that turns people and her off. it took me years to look past the screeching and shit. but his voice does work for the music. but jesus.. id rather hear someone else sing, cause after a while it becomes an over-dramatic and annoying theatrical fest that is Moz. ive been a smiths fan since 1995.. 1996 or so, and have all the albums, know em all by heart.. even the moz solo songs! but just because one doesnt like moz for the asshole he is, doesnt make them any less a fan of the MUSIC. so lat off her.

and if anyone says isaac brocks a prick, they can fuck the hell off. met the guy... he isnt a prick at all. if you're a fuckin prick or an annoying little fanatical brat to his face he'll be a prick right back.

and if anyone says bernard sumner's a prick.. well... um.. :huh: cant really say there. but i love the guy anyway. lol.

DaveC said:
Calm down, he's not trying to piss you off :huh:

yeah well, he was bitchy and all defensive and underlingly insulting to tanner before she even went off on him.

who the f**k cares if they are a prick or not. This thread is about who you think is the best vocalist.. Being a prick has nothing to do with it.. If you guys want to argue/fight or whatever it is your doing take it somewhere else...:huh:

tanner_sis said:
hmm let me guess you are talking about Isaac for one? guess what..I know him quite fuckin well and hes not a prick at all you just have to know how to treat him and take him ..

Not trying to set you off here, but I'm curious how it is that you know Isaac Brock so well?

Canadiens1160 said:

I'm pretty sure the thread title says Best MALE Vocalists.

Try again.

I'm a huge Nick Cave fan though. That guy's voice is ridiculously awesome.

bonosgirl84 said:

Not trying to set you off here, but I'm curious how it is that you know Isaac Brock so well?
Ive met him and hung out with him quite a few times and he's remembered me from the start and not as just a fan..and after what he said to me this weekend..well hehe

tanner_sis said:
Ive met him and hung out with him quite a few times and he's remembered me from the start and not as just a fan..and after what he said to me this weekend..well hehe

Not just as a fan? As what? You were 17 three months ago!

:der:

What did he say to you this weekend?

Isaac didn't stab himself laz, he sliced himself with a razor.

There's a difference. :wink:

Maybe it's because of his shameful lust for teenage girls.

Fine, so it wasn't as over-the-top emo as Elliot Smith stabbing himself in the heart (I'm sorry but that was so ridiculous I still laugh whenever I think about it) , but at least ES had the decency to do it in private.

And it's not like Brock gave himself a little cut. According to the original report I read, it was a 12-inch slice across his chest. And with a pocket knife, not a razor.

That's fucking LAME.

Yeah, but Iggy Pop did it first.

(Your Eliot Smith comment made me shudder, but probably because I can't even comprehend stabbing yourself as a prefered method of suicide.)

corianderstem said:
(Your Eliot Smith comment made me shudder, but probably because I can't even comprehend stabbing yourself as a prefered method of suicide.)

Well pills wouldn't be emo enough. He had to go out in dramatic fashion to appease the fans.

Forgive me if I sound so cynical, but I just find the whole conceit of it too precious to take seriously.

Like Modest Mouse using these obnoxiously pessimistic album titles like "Good News For People Who Like Bad News" (so fucking stupid I don't know where to start) and "We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank" (oh you poor unfortunate souls, you).

God only knows how Conor Oberst would kill himself--the only certainty is he'd have some 100-piece band playing exit music while he does it, and would write the most pretentious wannabe-Dylanesque suicide note of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom