Best live band or singer other than U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

struckpx

Acrobat
I don't know if this is the right place to post this since there are 1000 different sub-forums at this place, but the question being asked is:

What is your favorite live band (other than U2:lol:) that you have watched or seen and why?

Mine is Gavin DeGraw. I don't care what you think about his album. When I first heard it, I thought wow, pop cheesy. But, holy sheez, when I saw him live, he is absolutely amazing. He is one of the best male singers I have ever heard. He did this medley of Marvin Gaye, and for a white male singer, he did it perfect. I was amazed. It gave me goose bumps, haha. And it was fun because it was like a restaurant setting. Well a bar/restaurant, for there are reasons for that which I will not indulge, but it was phenomenal.

*Apologies if this is wrong thread.

Last edited:
inmyplace13 said:

i like them a lot, although lips of an angel was the most overplayed song of radio in 2006, i still like the band a lot. better than me is a good song.

You know, it's not the sort of thing that's safe to say on Interference, but I've already done my share of defending them here, so all of my skeletons are out of the closet. But. I really love Linkin Park :drool:

I'm actually pretty burned out on a lot of the songs from their first two albums (especially the singles), probably because I overplayed them all to hell when I was an emo-ridden teen, but they really are great live.
Chester Bennington gets so into the songs that he just goes out of control. Sometimes he's just throwing his body violently around, stuck in the emotion of the song. And oh how I love the way he screams :combust:

My most recent obsession is this Live Aid performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zss4Gh-G3Dc

And for anyone that thinks Chester can't sing without screaming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai8NaOYfImc (warning, Chester's dancing during the guitar solo is extremely comical :lmao: )

I'm loving the sarcastic replies to this thread, by the way :rolleyes: Some people have nothing better to do, it seems.

I'll just add another Linkin Park link then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmS1dtN_9F8 Chester throws himself around quite excellently in this one.

And for something completely different, what about Madonna? She's an incredible performer. Whether she's rolling around on the floor in a wedding gown, or hanging on a mirror-covered cross and indirectly preaching about Africa (yes, she is becoming the female Bono).

Or you know, my favourite, when she's singing Like A Virgin while pole-dancing on a black leather horse saddle :shifty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kfoMZ1pwXQ :drool:

I've seen a few videos of Travis playing live, and they absolutely go off. I'd love to see 'em, but they never come down under...

Anything involving Neil Finn, be it the Finn Brothers, Split Enz, or Crowded House.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
You know, it's not the sort of thing that's safe to say on Interference, but I've already done my share of defending them here, so all of my skeletons are out of the closet. But. I really love Linkin Park :drool:

I'm actually pretty burned out on a lot of the songs from their first two albums (especially the singles), probably because I overplayed them all to hell when I was an emo-ridden teen, but they really are great live.
Chester Bennington gets so into the songs that he just goes out of control. Sometimes he's just throwing his body violently around, stuck in the emotion of the song. And oh how I love the way he screams :combust:

My most recent obsession is this Live Aid performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zss4Gh-G3Dc

And for anyone that thinks Chester can't sing without screaming:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai8NaOYfImc (warning, Chester's dancing during the guitar solo is extremely comical :lmao: )

you're not alone.
I'm finding myself loving linkin park. the last album is amazing. Check this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A4IVX66CgQ

Live in Portugal -> Pushing me away (piano version). :drool:

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band is just a great time. It's one big house party.

Best live acts I have seen other than U2:
Muse and Pearl Jam :drool:

Honorable mentions:
Radiohead, Arcade Fire, My Morning Jacket

Will be seeing Wilco and White Stripes for the first time later this year.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
And for something completely different, what about Madonna? She's an incredible performer. Whether she's rolling around on the floor in a wedding gown, or hanging on a mirror-covered cross and indirectly preaching about Africa (yes, she is becoming the female Bono).

Or you know, my favourite, when she's singing Like A Virgin while pole-dancing on a black leather horse saddle :shifty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kfoMZ1pwXQ :drool:

The woman puts on some of the best shows ever. I especially love the past 3 tours because of her guitar work. The acoustic guitar she played for "Nothing Fails" during the Re-Invention tour was my fav., but I did love her rocking out on the Gibson last summer on "Ray of Light" and "I Love New York". She also improved so much as a live singer from the Girlie Show tour to Drowned World tour that it's almost unbelievable. I think her vocal training for 'Evita' gave her a lot more confidence vocally. Honestly she and U2 put on the best shows I've ever seen for 2 completely different reasons.

Madonna gave a great performance for the MTV video music awards a couple of years back.....Gorillaz had the opening nailed and they she appeared.....excellent performance...you see that?

RedrocksU2 said:
Madonna gave a great performance for the MTV video music awards a couple of years back.....Gorillaz had the opening nailed and they she appeared.....excellent performance...you see that?

I did! That was the Grammys last year, though, wasn't it? That's the only time I've ever seen the Gorillaz open for her. It was awesome!

DreamOutLoud13 said:
I'm loving the sarcastic replies to this thread, by the way :rolleyes: Some people have nothing better to do, it seems.

I'm sorry. It's only human of me to assume a thread listing Linkin Park as the "best live band other than U2" is indeed a joke thread. I just wanted to be in on the joke and try to get some major lolz.

Please forgive me.

(Edit: And yes, Nels is better than Edge.)

Last edited:
DreamOutLoud13 said:
I really love Linkin Park

me too :up: Linkin Park rules and their new album is really good. it would probably stand out more if it hadn't come out in one of the best years for music in recent memory :wink:

the little things give you away is an amazing song ... reminds me of Radiohead a little bit actually :hmm: maybe i'm crazy :lol: but it shows that LP is capable of a serious mellow song and that Chester does indeed have quite a nice singing voice :up: the end of the song is so great :drool: i ask people to listen to that song and forget for a minute that you're listening to Linkin Park.

as for the original topic... probably the best concert I've been to besides U2 was Bloc Party. They're very energetic live and it was just so much fun rockin out in GA up front. I love bands you can jump to practically the whole show :rockon: i'm seeing them again in september :drool:

I'm really looking forward to seeing Muse. Based on youtube clips I'd say they are the best live band (along with U2). It's cool how they'll add stuff to the songs live, like U2 does.

Wilco is another great band live. Arcade Fire is good too but frankly I don't get why everyone seems to think they're the second coming of Jesus or whatever. I mean, they are good live, but they're not the best I've seen :shrug: but they're still very young and show much potential.

DreamOutLoud13 said:

I thought they sounded good at Live Earth Tokyo.

Muse and Arcade Fire. And I'm sure I'd love Queen if I had the chance to see them when Freddie was alive...

To see Muse live for the first time was quite an experience for me... I waited years (like U2) and I was completely blown away, it was even better than I imagined it would be. The setlist had everything I could hope for (I almost cried when I heard the first notes of Citizen Erased), the crowd was amzing and they were at their best too...

Arcade Fire was probably the most emotive concert for me... THeir songs mean so much to me and I actually cried (I'm so lame sometimes...) I want to see them again as soon as possible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom