Best Films of '07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mighty interesting.

This might not mean much, or be hearsay, but my friend went to California recently and visited L.A. In the synagogue she was at, she met Stephen Tobolowsky (Ned from Groundhog Day / Bob from Heroes) and they got to talking about the strike. He said it would probably end sometime in the Spring.

I'm not saying that's a legit reason to think so, but with Letterman's Worldwide Pants deal and UA apparently close to making a deal, it looks like something's happening at least.

And here's another fun game to play: what are your number one wishes for each category? The one person you'd love to see nominated in each category, especially if it's not likely?

Picture: I'm Not There
Director: Todd Haynes
Actor: Benico Del Toro, Things We Lost in the Fire
Actress: Carice van Houten, Black Book
Sup. Actor: Robert Downey, Jr., Zodiac
Sup. Actress: Leslie Mann, Knocked Up
Cinematography: Roger Deakins, James/Ford
Editing: Jay Rabinowitz, I'm Not There
Original Screenplay: Judd Apatow, Knocked Up
Adapted Screenplay: Francis Coppola, Youth Without Youth
Music: Jonny Greenwood, There Will Be Blood

Wait, so who we'd want to see nominated if we think they're gonna get snubbed? Or just who we'd want to win in a perfect world?

I'd pretty much want I'm Not There to get nominated for everything it could in a perfect world.

I may not be able to call it the very best film of the year, but I'm fairly certain it's become my favorite.

LemonMacPhisto said:
Wait, so who we'd want to see nominated if we think they're gonna get snubbed? Or just who we'd want to win in a perfect world?

Well, I'd say in a perfect world, but I tried to omit shoo-ins. I mean, I'm sure DDL is head and shoulders above all competitors, but I thought Del Toro is as good as anyone else this year.

Oh, okay. I'm just gonna do people I think will get snubbed or have little chance then:

Picture: The Darjeeling Limited
Director: Wes Anderson
Actor: Russell Crowe, 3:10 to Yuma
Actress: Helena Bonham Carter, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
Sup. Actor: Kurt Russell, Death Proof
Sup. Actress:
Cinematography: Alwin Küchler, Sunshine
Editing: Andrew Weisblum. The Darjeeling Limited
Original Screenplay: Judd Apatow, Knocked Up
Adapted Screenplay: Paul Thomas Anderson, There Will Be Blood
Music: Jonny Greenwood, There Will Be Blood

You all really think Greenwood doesn't have a chance of getting a nom?

If so, that might prove the final nail in the Academy coffin for me. Considering it's possibly the best original score since Morricone was in his prime.

Well, the composer's branch are a bit more insular. If the film gets nominated for the biggies, it will probably carry everything else along with it.

But I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't. And a win would be next to miraculous.

I haven't stopped listening to it since I got it. It's brilliant.

The title track / one in the trailer is my fave.

I hope Eddie Vedder wins for Original Song, too.

Phuck Eddie Vedder (and anything related to that damn film for that matter). If something from Once doesn't win original song, I'm burning something. (Unless nothing from the film qualifies, I'm not entirely sure what the circumstances of the film's creation are).

Still haven't seen once. I'm not too big on musicals, but since everyone seems to love it I may have to check it out soon.

Gotta see Viggo pwn bitches first, though. That's for tomorrow.

One good thing, though, is that No Country has virtually no score, nor does Juno. Into the Wild is carried mainly by Vedder's songs, Sweeney's isn't an original score. So the competition from the big potential noms will be less.

Definite noms will include Dario Marianelli for Atonement, and Michael Giacchino is WAY overdue, and could certainly win. James Newton Howard is a well-known name, and if Clayton gets a lot of noms he probably won't be overlooked.

That is good.

When we doing your proposed Interland Ballot Tourney?

Well, I want to be able to include There Will Be Blood, so I think it should wait a few weeks so people who want to see it can do so. It will also be post-Globes as well.

So are we all committed to doing a pick the Oscars poll, and a personal choices poll?

Yeah, good idea. Hopefully I'll be able to see 2 or 3 more Oscar contenders before then, too.

I'm up for it.

I really need to see that. I'm afraid it's gonna be tough to see here in Florida.

Hey LMP, is Tampa any more cosmopolitan, as in more arthouse theatres? Because I'm going there next week.

Nope, it's not much different. There's maybe the same amount of arthouse theaters and a nicer IMAX theater. That's about it.

Sorry, bub.

LemonMacPhisto said:
I hope Eddie Vedder wins for Original Song, too.

Eddie Vedder :drool: :drool: :drool:

Beautiful soundtrack! Every song is so perfect for that movie. This is what an original soundtrack should be. :drool:

Well, good new for Roger Deakins. The American Society of Cinematographers (the A.S.C. that tends to follow members' names in film credits) has nominated him twice this year:

Roger Deakins, Assassination/James/Ford
Roger Deakins, No Country for Old Men
Robert Elswitt, There Will Be Blood
Seamus McGarvey, Atonement
Janusz Kaminski, The Diving Bell & The Butterfly

Critics Choice Awards tonight on VH-1, Director's Guild nominees announced tomorrow.

lazarus said:
Well, good new for Roger Deakins. The American Society of Cinematographers (the A.S.C. that tends to follow members' names in film credits) has nominated him twice this year:

Roger Deakins, Assassination/James/Ford
Roger Deakins, No Country for Old Men
Robert Elswitt, There Will Be Blood
Seamus McGarvey, Atonement
Janusz Kaminski, The Diving Bell & The Butterfly

Critics Choice Awards tonight on VH-1, Director's Guild nominees announced tomorrow.

Wooo! I actually predicted all five of those films as the frontrunners for cinematography this year.

I feel special.

Lancemc said:
I feel special.

You are not a unique and beautiful snowflake.

Broadcast Film Critic Awards:

Picture: No Country
Director: Coens
Actor: DDL
Actress: Julie Christie
Sup Actor: Friend-O
Sup. Actress: Amy Ryan
Writer: Diabloverrated
Score: Jonny G-Wood

Lancemc said:
Boo for CuteEmoBitchWriter.

Bow to your next crush, homeskillet: