Best Films of '07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lancemc said:
Performance by an actor in a leading role
Forest Whitaker - THE LAST KING OF SCOTLAND

Performance by an actor in a supporting role
Eddie Murphy - DREAMGIRLS

Performance by an actress in a leading role
Kate Winslet - LITTLE CHILDREN

Performance by an actress in a supporting role
Abigail Breslin - LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE

Best animated feature film of the year
CARS

Achievement in art direction
PAN'S LABYRINTH

Achievement in cinematography
CHILDREN OF MEN

Achievement in costume design
CURSE OF THE GOLDEN FLOWER

Achievement in directing
BABEL

Best documentary feature
AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH

Achievement in film editing
BABEL

Best foreign language film of the year
PAN'S LABYRINTH

Achievement in makeup
PAN'S LABYRINTH

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original score)
PAN'S LABYRINTH

Achievement in music written for motion pictures (Original song)
Something from DREAMGIRLS

Best motion picture of the year
BABEL

Achievement in sound editing
LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA

Achievement in sound mixing
DREAMGIRLS

Achievement in visual effects
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: DEAD MAN'S CHEST

Adapted screenplay
LITTLE CHILDREN

Original screenplay
LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE

I think these were my picks, and I don't really remember how close I was all together aside from the obvious ones.

Wow. Little Children was my #2 of the year, and I didn't have any faith in its chances. It was terribly underpromoted by its studio, and though Kate Winslet was overdue, Helen Mirren won practically every single critics award imaginable. She was a steamroller.

Abigail Breslin? Really?

While Babel SEEMED like it would be up the Academy's alley, I didn't think it was going to win. Most of the film was in a foreign language, and I imagine the section with the horny deaf Japanese girl creeped out a lot of Academy members. Whenever I thought The Departed couldn't win, I would have a much harder time making the case for any of the other entries. They wanted to give Marty his due last year, and giving it Best Picture as well helped to legitimize the decision. I don't think it was a cheap make-up award anyway, because Marty's direction is always top-of-the-line, and the film was a well-made, well-acted, well-scripted Shakespearean thriller. It's just as good, if not better, than The French Connection, and blows the overrated genre trash of Silence of the Lambs out of the water.

/rant

LemonMacPhisto said:
I just remember Children of Men getting buttfucked out of Best Cinematography last year.

That was obscene.

Ahh, I'm in the minority in thinking that wasn't such a crime. It was a shocker in terms of who people thought was going to win, but I felt like Lubezki's accomplishment was more logistical than artistic. I'm not saying he's a slouch when it comes to the pretty pictures, but he's done MUCH better work. The New World, for example.

Guillermo Navarro did a great job on Pan's, and I don't think he was an undeserving winner as far as those nominees are concerned. Personally I thought Stuart Dryburgh should have been recognized for his work on The Painted Veil.

The fact that The New World didn't win every award possible is a crime against cinema.

lazarus said:

2046 FTW.

American awards I mean of course, though the Academy awarded foreign language films in other categories from time to time, they're generally an American-centric organization.

Crouching Tiger probably came pretty close to Director and Picture. Ang Lee was definitely the front runner after winning the DGA and the Golden Globe. Plus it won for music and cinematography. Chow Yun-Fat, Michelle Yeoh, and Zhang Ziyi all should have been nommed though.

I'm still trying to figure out how Gladiator won the big prize with its only other major win being Crowe's. I mean, forget Crouching Tiger for a sec, how does Traffic win Screenplay, Director, and Sup. Actor and not win Best Picture?

lazarus said:

Ahh, I'm in the minority in thinking that wasn't such a crime. It was a shocker in terms of who people thought was going to win, but I felt like Lubezki's accomplishment was more logistical than artistic. I'm not saying he's a slouch when it comes to the pretty pictures, but he's done MUCH better work. The New World, for example.

Guillermo Navarro did a great job on Pan's, and I don't think he was an undeserving winner as far as those nominees are concerned. Personally I thought Stuart Dryburgh should have been recognized for his work on The Painted Veil.

You're right, Pan's was a deserving winner as well, but the cinny in Children of Men was one of the first time I've ever sat in awe over that, you know? It popped by techie cherry.

You know, it always kind of bugs me when single films really sweep a bunch of major awards. I mean, if the film really is that great, that it does make sense for all the pieces to be fantastic, but at the same time I kind of feel like all the great aspects of a bunch of films should be recognized.

Like, personally I think I'd end up giving TWBB most of the major awards this year, because it probably deserves a lot of them, but at the same time it feels like cheating not acknowledging all the other fantastic ones in some way.

Lancemc said:
You know, it always kind of bugs me when single films really sweep a bunch of major awards. I mean, if the film really is that great, that it does make sense for all the pieces to be fantastic, but at the same time I kind of feel like all the great aspects of a bunch of films should be recognized.

Exactly.

I also don't like actors getting nominated for both Lead and Supporting Actor/Actress, no matter how much I like them.

Look at Pacino in '92 - Glengarry Glen Ross/Scent of a Woman, when Jack Lemmon didn't get a nom, and this year - Cate Blanchett for Elizabeth 2: The Wrath of Khan and I'm Not There. She'll win for I'm Not There most likely, but give someone else a chance then.

Well of the two, she has a better chance with I'm Not There.

Amy Ryan's been winning the critic's awards then?

I'm a huge Cormac McCarthy fan and Coen Brothers fans, but there's just a mood that they missed in No Country, the acting is superb, as is the look, but something about it felt empty to me (and no I'm not talking about the ending), Kelly McDonald's scenes are some of the best of the year, and I guess I won't complain when it wins truckloads of awards, but its not my top movie (and I'll be glad to see the sardonic humor of the Coens restored in this year's Burn After Reading)

For me I don't rank movies, or rate them because as with music and books its so subjective even from film to film, but if there was a best picture of the year it's absolutley David Fincher's Zodiac.

Others that I rank with me, in that you just can't get them out of your head:
Eastern Promises
American Gangster
Into the Wild (although it does suffer a bit from hero-worship)
Once
Sweeney Todd
Rescue Dawn
Lars and the Real Girl
Michael Clayton
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford
Atonement
Lust, Caution
Hot Fuzz
Before the Devil Knows You're Dead
There Will Be Blood (I'm not a huge Anderson fan, and this is another case as with No Country where there's so much praise people just won't be underwhelmed and they love it no matter what, it's great and DDL proves once again he's the greatest working actor, but I wouldn't place it as better than some of the others)

Depending on if you call them 2006 or 2007 movies, these would be at the top:
The Wind that Shakes the Barley
The Lives of Others

1. Once
2. 3:10 To Yuma
3. Zodiac
4. The Bourne Ultimatum
5. Rataouille
6. Breach
7. The Hoax
8. Knocked Up
9. Rescue Dawn
10. 28 Weeks Later

Honorable mentions:
Waitress
Talk To Me
Fantastic Four 2

Still want to see:
There Will Be Blood (possibly going this afternoon)
No Country For Old Men
Juno
Sunshine
Stardust
Michael Clayton
Gone Baby Gone
American Gangster
Enchanted
Charlie Wilson’s War

I think I'm gonna watch Eastern Promises today on my computer and maybe something lighter afterward so I don't kill myself.

North by Northwest, perhaps?

LemonMacPhisto said:
I think I'm gonna watch Eastern Promises today on my computer and maybe something lighter afterward so I don't kill myself.

North by Northwest, perhaps?

An excellent and timeless classic sounds like just what you'll need after a slightly disappointing film LMP :up:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom