Best Films of '07 - Page 17 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2008, 11:28 PM   #241
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:43 PM
No Country's #22 at 8.6

Old 01-09-2008, 01:35 AM   #242
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:43 PM
Gauging quality by IMDB is like looking at the Billboard charts; any fucking moron who knows how to operate a computer can vote on that shit.

Elitism FTW.

Old 01-09-2008, 01:51 AM   #243
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:43 PM
Totally. IMDB makes Rotten Tomatoes look like the Oxford law club or some shit.

And for something totally off topic, I just watched The Aviator again for the first time in a couple years. DAMN, that's a killer flick. I might even prefer it to Gangs... I'll ruminate.
Old 01-09-2008, 09:38 AM   #244
Blue Crack Supplier

The Aviator is a bit more finely-honed, but I don't know if it reaches the highest peaks that Gangs does.

So what do you think of my theory that The Aviator's final shot, the close-up of Hughes' face in darkness, is an homage to the opening close-up of Bonaserra in The Godfather? Two films about the dark side of the American Dream.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:58 AM   #245
Blue Crack Addict

I hated the Aviator. I tried watching it twice and fell asleep both times right around the time he crashes the plane into the house.

I tried.
Old 01-09-2008, 12:00 PM   #246
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMacPhisto
No Country's #22 at 8.6

This has got me excited. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0898367/

Viggo ftw
Old 01-09-2008, 12:53 PM   #247
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dalton

This has got me excited. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0898367/

Viggo ftw
I'm pumped for that as well. I haven't read The Road, but I've heard nothing but amazing reactions. And you can't go wrong with Viggo or Hillcoat (The Proposition was stellar).
Old 01-09-2008, 01:00 PM   #248
Refugee

I'm more excited about Mortensen and Hoffman playing cannibals.

Quote:
There are a few ingredients that guarantee you'll secure our cabooses into a movie theater seat. In this instance, those ingredients include Philip Seymour Hoffman, Viggo Mortensen and a smidge of, wait for it, cannibals.

New York entertainment blog Vulture caught wind of the upcoming horror flick Vanikoro, which was written and directed by Xavier Gens. As the story goes, French explorer La Perouse gets shipwrecked on one of the Vanikoro islands. While most of the crew MacGyvers a boat to sail away, two stay back.

Seymour and Mortensen are "in talks" to join the cast (via Bloody-Disgusting.com). No dates for the film have been set yet.
A+
Old 01-09-2008, 01:02 PM   #249
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
The Aviator is a bit more finely-honed, but I don't know if it reaches the highest peaks that Gangs does.

So what do you think of my theory that The Aviator's final shot, the close-up of Hughes' face in darkness, is an homage to the opening close-up of Bonaserra in The Godfather? Two films about the dark side of the American Dream.
You know, that's what I thought too. Gangs of New York still feels like a bit of a mess to me. I think it's the editing I take issue with. Some shots feel out of place, or too long or too short, and it's really an uneven narrative. The performances are equally uneven, though the lesser talents in the film certainly weren't helped being cast in DDL's shadow. Even still, The Aviator doesn't have any performance as awful of Diaz', but at the same time it doesn't have one nearly as glorious as Lewis'.

The Aviator definitely felt more even to me, and had a more clearly defined arc, which allows for easily dissection of the themes and creative decisions at work. This is really the first DiCaprio performance where I really felt he was a true acting force too, and I was really impressed last night, having forgotten just how great he was.

Even still, you're right in that it doesn't have high marks quite as high as those reached in Gangs, since Hughes' story lacked the garish set pieces or intense DDL-driven dramatic moments that made Gangs a remarkable experience.

So, I still don't know which I prefer, which is fine since I've sort of always considered them a double-feature of sorts for some reason. They seem to be made from the same sort of ambition and creative mindset. As for the final shot being an homage to Coppola, I wouldn't be surprised at all if that was Scorsese's intent, but at the same time it's hardly an uncommon shot, so who knows.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:03 PM   #250
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc

I'm pumped for that as well. I haven't read The Road, but I've heard nothing but amazing reactions. And you can't go wrong with Viggo or Hillcoat (The Proposition was stellar).
You should read it. Bleak as fuck, but amazing.

I look forward to this and Blood Meridian becoming films.
Old 01-09-2008, 01:06 PM   #251
Blue Crack Addict

I still haven't ready Blood Meridian. Is it as good as the Road?
Old 01-09-2008, 01:11 PM   #252
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by No spoken words

You should read it. Bleak as fuck, but amazing.

I look forward to this and Blood Meridian becoming films.
Given Ridley Scott's track record as of late, I wouldn't get your hopes up over Blood Meridian.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #253
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Lancemc
As for the final shot being an homage to Coppola, I wouldn't be surprised at all if that was Scorsese's intent, but at the same time it's hardly an uncommon shot, so who knows.

It's not just the type of shot, but also the way it's lit, how one opens a film and one closes another, and what the characters are saying. The first line of The Godfather is Bonaserra saying "I love America", and The Aviator closes with the mantra "The wave of the future" over and over again.

As I said, each film is a dark portrait of the American Dream, and it feels too familiar to be a coincidence.
Old 01-09-2008, 04:49 PM   #254
Blue Crack Addict

I don't know, it's still might be a bit of a stretch to say it's a direct homage. It's certainly an inspired shot, and a beautiful way to the end with, but whether or not it was a conscious motive? I don't know. I mean, what contemporary director hasn't been inspired by Coppola's 70's work in some way? It might just be one of those things...
Old 01-09-2008, 10:45 PM   #255
Blue Crack Supplier

Did anyone happen to see Paprika? I really love this director's (Satoshi Kon) other films, and this came and went where I was working at the time.

I'm thinking of just buying the DVD sight unseen. If it's half as good as Millenium Actress it will be amazing.