Best Female Vocalists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
Let's hear it for the women this time.

Aretha Franklin (amazing power, really jumps at you)

Annie Lennox (probably my favourite white female singer ever, though admiteddly I only know her in Eurhythmcs)

Linda Ronstadt (recently discovered her, great cover of Blue Bayou)

Karen Carpenter (what's wrong with warm and sweet?)

Alicia Keys

Billie Holiday

Joni Mitchell

Ella Fitzgerald

Shakira

Sarah McLachlan

and, though they may be obnoxious, nonetheless very talented:

Whitney Houston

Mariah Carey

Christina Aguilera

Yes, wanted to add Whitney Houston. She may not have a career now but I think she's better than many of the so called divas that are around now.

U2girl said:
Yes, wanted to add Whitney Houston. She may not have a career now but I think she's better than many of the so called divas that are around now.

wow, i expected some major flack for at least the last part of that post (i'm sure it's on the way :wink:)

she is very talented though, (as a singer) ...it is quite sad what's happened to her

I second Ella Fitzgerald and Aretha Franklin. Also: Emmylou Harris

I also love Stevie Nicks and Lucinda Williams, but I don't know that I'd label either of them "best"

Ella Fitzgerald

Emmylou Harris

kd lang (I looooooove her voice; it's so warm)

Nina Simone (she doesn't have the kind of voice I usually like, but I've really come to like her)

Alison Krauss (love the pure quality of her voice)

Whitney Houston (yep, gotta echo this one. Woman's got pipes!)

Dusty Springfield

I'll echo the Annie Lennox, Joni Mitchell, and Sarah McLachlan mentions. Also, Feist has a really unique voice. She apparently damaged it early on from excessive howling in clubs, leaving it with scratchy moments. I'll be seeing her in a few weeks. :drool:

Anne Wilson was the first female singer that really got to me. This song was played repeatedly in the house when I was a kid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jzlg6B0WiUo

For me in no particular order,

Madonna
Sarah McLachlan
Patti Smith
Reba McEntire
Christina Aguilera
Corrine Bailey Rae
Natalie Maines
Regina Spektor
Emmylou Harris
Stevie Nicks
Melissa Etheridge
Tori Amos
Amy Lee
Jewel
Dolly Parton

Last edited:
Judy Garland: Funny that Ella and Billie get some props but no one's mentioned her. Not as hip as the jazz vocalists, but this woman put more into her performances than anyone I've ever heard. Woman was fucking possessed. I'd suggest listening to her early 60's Carnegie Hall show--go read the reviews on Amazon, check out the clips, and see what I'm talking about.

Striesand: see above, minus the crazy. Much more diverse career than you would think. Would you believe she covered Bob Marley and David Bowie?

Joni: A true original.

Sinead O'Connor: The power and the glory.

Chrissie Hynde: Not technically a great singer but this woman is so rock and roll and a very distinct voice.

Patti Smith: See above, she arrived like a lightning bolt in a sea of calm.

Corin Tucker of Sleater-Kinney: Very grating upon first listen but really sells this band.

Fiona Apple: A voice of old wisdom far beyond her years.

PJ Harvey: Do I need to tell you?

Christina Aguilera: Chick's got some pipes, and much more soul than her contemporaries.

Madeleine Peyroux - (I just saw her play again two nights ago. If you don't know her you should really check her out. Excellent voice and excellent musicianship all around her. She's New Orleans/New York/Paris rolled into one. You'll have to work very, very hard not to like it.)

Sinead O'Connor - (That voice is heart-stopping.)

kd lang - (great great voice)

Beth Gibbons - Portishead
Elisabeth Fraser - Cocteau Twins
Eleanor Friedberger - The Fiery Furnaces
Bjork
The ladies of Ladytron
Tarja - formerly of Nightwish
Allison Goldfrapp - Goldfrapp
Regina Spektor
'90's Tori Amos
M.I.A.
Aimmee Echo - theSTART
Annie - I could (and have) watched this video a kajillion times
Karin Dreijer Andersson - The Knife
Joanna Newsom

Can't believe I forgot Chrissie Hynde, definitely one of my faves, very distinctive voice.
And while I'm not a fan, respect to KD Lang and Sinead O'Connor.

Last edited:
lazarus said:
Striesand: see above, minus the crazy.

Crud, I can't believe I forgot Babs. Think of her what you will, but you cannot deny the woman has an amazing instrument.

And I'm also remiss for leaving off Anne Wilson from Heart. She has my vote for the best female rock vocalist ever. (Yes, better than Janis Joplin, who I consider vastly overrated.)

For me, in no particular order:

Natalie Merchant
Alison Kraus
Aimee Mann
PJ Harvey
Aretha Franklin
Diana Ross (with Supremes)
Harriet Wheeler (lead singer for the Sundays)
Chrissie Hynde
Kate Bush
Sarah Brightman
Beth Orton

Janis Joplin
Kate Bush
PJ Harvey
Maria Callas
Patti Smith

and I looooooved Maria Mckee, she has an awesome voice.

I wish I could sing :sad:

Back
Top Bottom