Best Female Vocalists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Agree with so many choices here but can't believe no one's mentioned Ann Wilson yet. Amazing. When I saw Ann and Nancy live, Ann opened her mouth and had my body pressed against my chair. She rocks.

corianderstem said:
And I'm also remiss for leaving off Anne Wilson from Heart. She has my vote for the best female rock vocalist ever. (Yes, better than Janis Joplin, who I consider vastly overrated.)

And I think someone mentioned her before me as well.

... lest you think we're all morons for leaving her off. :wink:

dsmith2904 said:
Agree with so many choices here but can't believe no one's mentioned Ann Wilson yet. Amazing. When I saw Ann and Nancy live, Ann opened her mouth and had my body pressed against my chair. She rocks.

OMG I WAS GOING TO SAY THE EXACT SAME THING!!

I was going through and was shocked to not see Ann!!!!!!! She's probably my favorite. I LOVE Heart. :D :D :D Good addition dsmith. :wink:

Billie Holiday - no one can touch her for pure soul and honesty
Eva Cassidy - just listen to the live version of "Tall Trees In Georgia" and you'll know why she's my number 2 pick
Etta James - At Last (simply one of the most heart wrenching vocals EVER!!!)
Aretha Franklin - her version of "Walk On" is the best (better than Dionne Warwick)
Ella Fitzgerald - what can one say...really.
...to name but a few

Chris Martin is not a female vocalist, he is a quality songwriter who is bagged beacuse his band has had commercial success.

intedomine said:
Chris Martin is not a female vocalist, he is a quality songwriter who is bagged beacuse his band has had commercial success.

Oh, sorry. I must be mistaken. I thought he was a little milquetoast with a weak, breathy voice who grew his hair out to look cooler yet still looks like a tool and runs around on stage now like he's Bono when we really know he belongs behind the piano like a little Tori Amos and has had commerical success only because the masses find his type of watered-down-Radiohead-and-U2-have-a-baby-but-it's-only-received-the-worst-genes-from-each-parent-wannabe-Think Rock palatable.

Thanks for the clarification.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Yeah Delores has a decent voice but can be just downright grating, i.e. Zombie. Plus that band just went downhill fast...

Now I'll be the first to admit that Sinead's last two albums have been kind of out there and aren't for everyone, and I know most(especially in the US) lost interest after her second album, but her voice still just rises above the rest.

Let me be another to echo your comment.
Sinead>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dolores

anywhoo.....

I've seen some real questionable choices here but I'll just skip it.

Some of my fav voices:
Annie Lennox (The best)
Alison Krauss (an absolute angel)
Sarah Mclachlan (her early stuff was absolutely ace)
Sinead O'Connor (Vocal Goddess)
Leann Rimes (not really her music, love her voice)
Ann Wilson (this was a good choice by dsmith)
Liz Fraser (underrated, underappreciated)
Toni Halladay (has she been mentioned? Totally Fuckin' awesome)

lazarus said:

Oh, sorry. I must be mistaken. I thought he was a little milquetoast with a weak, breathy voice who grew his hair out to look cooler yet still looks like a tool and runs around on stage now like he's Bono when we really know he belongs behind the piano like a little Tori Amos and has had commerical success only because the masses find his type of watered-down-Radiohead-and-U2-have-a-baby-but-it's-only-received-the-worst-genes-from-each-parent-wannabe-Think Rock palatable.

I love you, man.

lazarus said:

:lol:

Best female vocalist: Neko Case and I also currently am listening to Natasha Khan (Bat for Lashes)

Sia furler - listen to the songs 'Breathe Me' and her effort on Zero 7's tracks 'This Fine Social Scene' and 'Distractions'

she was the best female singer i have seen live

other names that people may not have heard of before:

Mia Dyson - pretty much another lucinda williams/ melissa etheridge type of voice

Kate Miller-Heidke - a nice aussie girl from brissy with an operatic voice

Lolly - from London group - the Johnny Boy

Kori Gardner - the lead singer from Mates of State is a great vocalist as well

Last edited:
Has anyone ever heard Michelle Featherstone? She is a singer and piano player, sounds a little like sarah mcLauchlan, she has an incredible voice

Yes, she was in Troop Beverly Hills. Or Camp Beverly Hills or something. It starred Shelley Long, which tells you what kind of movie it was.

I like Jenny Lewis a lot as well. I love the latest Rilo Kiley album.

Back
Top Bottom