Best Female Vocalists

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Anita O'Day
Laura Nyro
Ethel Merman
Connee Boswell (Boswell Sisters singing together = Dang!)

And others mentioned in the thread, of course. Especially Judy Garland. She had a voice at the age of 12 more accomplished than even some of the other great singers in this thread.

The Sad Punk said:
Anita O'Day
Laura Nyro
Ethel Merman
Connee Boswell (Boswell Sisters singing together = Dang!)

And others mentioned in the thread, of course. Especially Judy Garland. She had a voice at the age of 12 more accomplished than even some of the other great singers in this thread.

Funny that you mention Laura Nyro. I found one of her records really cheap at a thrift store and was pleasantly surprised. I had heard of her before but I was curious because Striesand had recorded a fair amount of her material, including 3 songs on her album Stoney End (the title track is one of Nyro's).

Zoomerang96 said:
wow, can't believe noone's mentioned feist yet.

regina spektor is another.

Ah but someone has mentioned Feist. And Spektor. :wink:

I'll have to echo Zoomers. My love for Leslie Feist is well documented around here.

Also, I saw Regina Spektor last week and it made me appreciate her even more. The little spurts, strange inflections, and always interesting turns-of-phrase make hers an extremely lovely and unique voice. She's fantastic.

But seriously, for my money it doesn't get any better than Feist.

I can't friggin' stand Joni Mitchell and Aimee Mann reminds me of a 15-year-old cutter (sorry for the harsh words, but my feelings are strong on this matter, feel free to disagree)

Ella Fitzgerald and Fiona Apple are honestly the only female singers I'll listen to by choice (am I sexist or what?). Christina Aguilera (sp?) is actually growing on me. I used to like Gwen Stefani before she sold her soul to the devil.

oh and Feist.

PJ Harvey
Kate Bush
Fiona Apple
Tori Amos
Annie Lennox
Lisa Gerrard
Regina Spektor
Nina Simone
Bjork
Cat Power
Beth Orton
Beth Gibbons
Martha Wainwright
Loretta Lynn
Edith Piaf
Janis Joplin
Marianne Faithful
Chrissie Hynde
Jenny Lewis
Cerys Matthews
Keren Ann

No spoken words said:

Cannot believe that I left her off of my list.

I thought you were going to bed? leave your books hanging like that and they'll be mean to you too :tsk:

not the best but people I like:
Sarah Mc.
nelly furtado
dolores O'riordan
annie lennox
amy winehouse

I'll think of more later

Dolores O'Riordan puts Sinead to shame I reckon.

Nelly Fertado
Donna Lewis

And cause the male thread got closed cause of some funny stuff that happened, I'd like to put forward Fran Healy, who was overlooked, and Robin Wilson and Ian Brown

In no particular order:

Ella Fitzgerald
Alison Krauss
Aretha Franklin
Natalie Cole
Janis Joplin
Mary J. Blige
Mariah Carey (pre-divorce)
Alicia Keys
Tori Amos
Nina Simone
Joss Stone
Norah Jones
Gladys Knight

Kim Deal :cute:
Lisa Hannigan
Nelly Furtado
Amy Winehouse
Delores O'Riordeen
Harriet Wheeler
Lisa Hannigan
NSW
Karen O (sometimes anyway)
Tori Amos
Lisa Hannigan
Aretha
The Chantels
The Supremes

And then the Christina Aguilera's, Alicia Keyes, etc that I don't listen to but I can recognize they can sing. Probably better than most of the women on my list.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Not on any planet in this universe.:huh:

That was my reaction, too.

I liked the Cranberries at the same time everyone and their brother had a copy of their debut album, but I never did like her voice. I hate that warbly, fluttery thing she does.

It's interesting how one voice can strike someone as great and someone else as so annoying. Natalie Merchant is like that for me.

I loved 10,000 Maniacs, and her voice never bothered me with the band, but her solo records ... I just can't even listen to more than a song or two in a row. Her voice just grates on me. Which is a shame, because I think a lot of her songs are really good. Just not the voice she sings them with. :(

corianderstem said:

That was my reaction, too.

I liked the Cranberries at the same time everyone and their brother had a copy of their debut album, but I never did like her voice. I hate that warbly, fluttery thing she does.

It's interesting how one voice can strike someone as great and someone else as so annoying. Natalie Merchant is like that for me.

I loved 10,000 Maniacs, and her voice never bothered me with the band, but her solo records ... I just can't even listen to more than a song or two in a row. Her voice just grates on me. Which is a shame, because I think a lot of her songs are really good. Just not the voice she sings them with. :(

I'm the same way with NM as well.

Yeah Delores has a decent voice but can be just downright grating, i.e. Zombie. Plus that band just went downhill fast...

Now I'll be the first to admit that Sinead's last two albums have been kind of out there and aren't for everyone, and I know most(especially in the US) lost interest after her second album, but her voice still just rises above the rest.

Back
Top Bottom