Best/Favourite Goal (Soccer/Football)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
I'm sure there are quite a few soccer fans here - so what's the best goal you have seen and which one is your favourite? My nominees -

Dennis Bergkamp (Arsenal) vs. Bayer Leverkusen
Excellent passing move leads to a sweet chip over the goalie.

Dennis Bergkamp (Holland) vs. Argentina (World Cup '98)
I'm sure you know this one...beautiful control, magical finish.

Marco van Basten (Ajax) vs. I forget
I saw this on the Ajax website...brilliant overhead kick that hits the post and goes in.

Zinedine Zidana (Real Madrid) vs. Bayer Leverkusen (Champs League final)
Talk about one heck of a finish.

Diego Maradona (Argentina) vs. England
The second one, not the handball. That was pretty amazing.

David Beckham (Manchester United) vs. Wimbledon
The goal from the half-way line. More for novelty than anything.

My favourite's probably the first.

I was thinking about 4 specific goals, but it seems yertle has already mentioned 3 of them.

yertle-the-turtle said:
Dennis Bergkamp (Holland) vs. Argentina (World Cup '98)
I'm sure you know this one...beautiful control, magical finish.

Marco van Basten (Ajax) vs. I forget
I saw this on the Ajax website...brilliant overhead kick that hits the post and goes in.

Zinedine Zidana (Real Madrid) vs. Bayer Leverkusen (Champs League final)
Talk about one heck of a finish.

IIRC, Van Basten scored in the match of Ajax vs. FC Den Bosch (but it's a loooong time ago). All three are great goals.

2 Other nominees:
Pierre van Hooijdonk (Feyenoord) vs. Freiburg (Uefa Cup 2002)
A free kick from an almost impossible position (too far to the left side). Almost that is...

Marco van Basten (Netherlands) vs. USSR (European Cup final 1988)
I still don't know how he could score from that position. Great control in the air.

C ya!

Marty

P.S. Is it noticeable that I'm Dutch?

The best goal ever is Tony Yeboah's goal for Leeds against Wimbledon in 1995.

I do have to add that my favourite ever single moment in soccer was a miss. Pele for Brazil against Uruguay in 1970. If you have ever seen it you will know exactly what I am on about. Mention that to any true football fan and you are guaranteed to get the reponse "if only he had scored that!!". Actually, if he had scored, then they may as well have stopped football there and then because there would have been no point in playing any more - no one could have got any better than that!

What about Banks' save from Pele at the same cup?

Favourite goal is a toughie, maybe too tough. I will say the best goal of the past 12 months was Mexico's goal v Italy at the World Cup last year, a great one for the purists.

Am I the only one who was underwhelmed by Zidane's volley in the champions league final? sure it looked good but it was pretty flukey really, the ball lobbing straight up for him like that. There have certainly been better volleys made and from more natural balls into the area...

I forgot to mention one:

ME. Beautiful curling free kick in one of our street soccer games. Of course, we were playing with the basketball receptacle thingies (the poles were about 50 cm between each other) and we didn't have the goalkeeper, but I kicked the ball forward a little, did a bit of a run up, whacked it hard and it curled into that little space. I'd venture even if there was a keeper they couldn't have stopped it, because it was pretty high (but not too high). Remains my only goal, I play as a goalkeeper most of the time. :D

Back
Top Bottom