Best Computer Games?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
well for those games junkies

in my eyes:

simulation games- sim city- OH SHIT! you cant believe hot addictive this game is. you can lose days, not hours, just playing this game
honorary (or is it dishonorary?) mention- the sims, this game has that same ability as the sims to suck in your soul into the computer leaving to the false belief that the computer game is your real life

War Games? - WarCraft or Command and Conquer, both are pretty good.

First Person Shooters- Doom, Quake, Wolfenstein, Duke Nukem 3d. Wolfenstein has come in with a sequel many years later

Role Playing Games- Diablo, Commandos

Puzzle Solving Games- Sam and Max, Day Of the Tentacle, Monkey Island, Grim Fandango. now these games are darn hard, but nothing better than that sensation when you solve a puzzle

sports- international superstar soccer, soccer games and especially soccer has been a suspect genre. but this is pretty close to the real thing. also EA has forgotten what the dynamics of their sporting games and they make games for the sake of promising to make a better one next year

I'm addicted to Zoo Tycoon right now...it's pretty fun, and the animals are cute!
smile.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

EA sports : Hockey , soccer , Magic Carpet
Monkey island series , Full Throttle , Dark Forces , Dark Forces 2 : Jedi Knight , Mysteries of Sith , Warcraft 2 , Doom 1,2
Goblins 1,2,3 ; Day of tentacle , Sanitarium

delta force 3
any hockey game
grand theft auto
any soccer game

why is there no lax vid?

------------------
boofoobudoobie

FPS:
Quake 2 (My personal favorite of all the Quakes)
Half-Life
Doom
Deus Ex
System Shock 1 and 2
Unreal Tournament

RTS:
Starcraft
Command and Conquer series
Age of Empires series

RPG:
Baldur's Gate series
Wizardry series
Fallout series
Diablo series
Angband
smile.gif

Strategy:
Civilization series
Alpha Centauri + Alien Crossfire

Games everyone else likes that I don't:
The Sims <--
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Sports games <--
mad.gif
mad.gif

I don't play a lot of comp. games but I love MYST, RIVEN and MYST III EXILE. Exile wasn't all great, but ok. RIVEN kicks arse!

Quake III. Love it, loved all the Quakes, still play occasionally but the game is intended for online play and quite frankly, I suck the big one when playing online.

Also liked Alice which was incredible eye candy with a twisted story line and creepy soundtrack. Also liked that Clive Barker game, Undying. Ah... almost forgot Max Payne!

I'm still waiting for my husband's novelty to wear off with Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I can't wait to give that a whirl. What better way to blow off steam than to frag the mean ol nazi bad guys?
wink.gif

But the biggie I'm waiting for is Doom 3, although with those slick graphics I'll probably need a new box just to play it.

[This message has been edited by adam's_mistress (edited 12-03-2001).]

SimCity and the Sims :) I can play for hooooooooours.
Anyone remember Chip's Challenge, it used to be included with Windows 98 or something. When I was in high school I was OBSESSED with that game. Now it just seems silly :(

I have a horrible addiction to Sensible's Sensible World Of Soccer 96/97. I highly recommend it. There are updates and stuff but I still find it fun to play with the original teams and players. Excellent game, you can download it from some sites I won't mention. Also recommend Championship Manager, although I suck. Hmm...Warcraft III is fun, although I haven't played for a while. And I had an emulated version of a great SNES RPG called 'Seiken Densetsu 3' or 'Secret Of Mana 2' that was fun, fun, fun. Any LucasArts adventure game, especially Monkey Island, Indiana Jones and the Fate Of Atlantis, Sam & Max and Day Of The Tentacle...all great, humorous, and it was always fun looking for things like stormtrooper helmets.

Last edited:
New addition to Squid's list of best games ever: Master of Magic

Worst game ever: The Sims
:p

I must say I do enjoy Age of Mythology a great lotty deal

Unreal Tournament 2003 is pretty kickassss as well.

Unreal Tournament 2003 is kick ass.
Battlefield 1942 is awesome.
Starcraft
Diablo 2
Baldur's gate 1 & 2
Dungeon siege
Gran turismo 3 for PS2
Halo for Xbox

just to name a few.

FPS:
Splinter Cell (holy crap it kicks ass)
Medal of Honor (mainly for the online playing)
Ghost Recon
Deus Ex

Role-playing:
Mafia

Strategy:
Myth (and Myth II)
Myst (and sequels)

Simulations:
Combat Flight Sim 3
Warbirds III
Need For Speed 2: Hot Pursuit (so it's not the most accurate driving game, but it's fun as hell online)

Arcade/simple stuff - Jardinains. Everybody download this game now. It's basically a freeware version of brickles (or whatever that's called) with lots of fun(ny) touches. extremely addictive.

since we are only talking computer games, i'll say the sims and tropico. tropico's funner though, because at least you feel you're being slightly productive.

i remember this game i used to play in the early 90s. it may have been for the computer, or maybe for either nintendo or (highly doubtful because i think i'd returned it by then - d'oh!) sega genesis. it was a racing game, if you could call it that. you'd be driving your car, but of course you could go off of cliffs and stuff.

the funny part was that when you'd flip, the windshield would crack and the crash sounded like pots and pans being banged together. if only i could remember its name...but alas i don't, since i don't even know what kind of system it was for (either pc, nintendo, or genesis).

as for arcade games, i LOVE galaga. one day, i will buy the arcade version of it to play in the comfort of my own home.

i also like the sonic games for sega and the gamecube. i like some of the mario games but they're TOO DAMN FRUSTRATING.

and for xbox, i like project gotham, amped, dead or alive 3 (not so much since it's so easy to beat), and dead or alive xtreme volleyball.

I aced Super Mario for the Nintendo

I used to have a commodore 64 back in the day....and Ithought I was one of the coolest kinds on the planet I remember telling everyone about it in school :shifty: There was a game called Super Monacco grand prix I think and playing it today its such a simple game but so much fun

You cant beat Tetris imho :yes:

KhanadaRhodes said:

as for arcade games, i LOVE galaga. one day, i will buy the arcade version of it to play in the comfort of my own home.

Buy it? If you're naughty you can emulate the exact same arcade version on your computer. The only draw back is ya don't get the traditional arcade joy stick and fire button layout. Although the cursor keys do just fine.

JimmyChicken said:
Buy it? If you're naughty you can emulate the exact same arcade version on your computer. The only draw back is ya don't get the traditional arcade joy stick and fire button layout. Although the cursor keys do just fine.
that's the thing, i want to get the arcade version. :drool:

but for the time being, i do have it on my game boy advance.

I guess I'm very conservative when it comes to computer games; I haven't tried out many new games for the last five or six years and I pretty much stick to the ones I've played a long time ago, most of which are RPGs or adventure games:

Legends of Kyrandia series
Ultima series (IMO the greatest role-playing series ever, even if Ultima IX: Ascension was a mediocre and unsatisfying finale)
Legends of Arkania series

Back
Top Bottom