Best Bruce Springsteen Album(s)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd say for starting go with Born in the USA... it's like a greatest hits package, only better, and it has Darlington County. :D (I love that one.) Then go to Born to Run or The Rising.

Randon Bruce question: Did he write Because the Night for himself or for Patti Smith? Because when he does it in the 75-85 set it definitely isn't the lyrics that she sings in her version. And it seems like a very, kind of, feminine song, you know? Maybe I'm just used to hearing Patti sing it...

The best way to figure out Springsteen is to buy the Greatest Hits (One disc), or the newer "Essential Bruce Springsteen" (3 discs). The Greatest Hits is the best single disc overview of his entire career "Asbury..." through "Secret Garden", but "Essential" covers every album through "The Rising".

Once you listen to two or three songs from each album, you'll know which period you enjoy and know what's worth buying.

The Best: Born to Run, The River, The Rising, Darkness on the Edge of Town, Live 1975-85.

The Good: Asbury Park, E Street Shuffle, Nebraska, Born in the USA, Tunnel of Love, other live albums.

The least of the Good: Human Touch, Lovetown, Ghost of Tom Joad.

U2girl said:
I got into Bruce last year and my starting point was The Rising.

Me too :) I just bought The Rising yesterday actually and I am enjoying it very much! It's the only CD I've bought in recent memory besides HTDAAB.

Danospano said:
The best way to figure out Springsteen is to buy the Greatest Hits (One disc), or the newer "Essential Bruce Springsteen" (3 discs). The Greatest Hits is the best single disc overview of his entire career "Asbury..." through "Secret Garden", but "Essential" covers every album through "The Rising".

Once you listen to two or three songs from each album, you'll know which period you enjoy and know what's worth buying.

The Best: Born to Run, The River, The Rising, Darkness on the Edge of Town, Live 1975-85.

The Good: Asbury Park, E Street Shuffle, Nebraska, Born in the USA, Tunnel of Love, other live albums.

The least of the Good: Human Touch, Lovetown, Ghost of Tom Joad.

The problem with the Greatest Hits is that it doesn't cover Asbury Park. At all. or E Street Shuffle. The Essential's the better place to start, even though it lacks one or two songs on the GH

UnforgettableLemon: Yeah, that's for the correction. :)

I would have bought the Essential package if I hadn't already obtained all his albums before it was released. Sure, it has the rarities disc, but it's just not worth it considering I have the rest of the collection.

Greatest Hits was the first Springsteen album I ever bought and it convinced me to investigate Born to Run, because of the title track, but mainly because of Thunder Road (Still my favorite Boss track), and made to check out Human Touch and Lovetown despite the critical thrashing they received from the reviewers; Human Touch and Better Days are great rock tunes.

Anyway, let us know what you think...

well, if this were on a different forum, I might say a different album, but on a U2 forum, I'd say Tunnel of Love, hands down.

runners up:
Nebraska, The Rising, Born in the USA

I'd go with Born to Run, Darkness, The River - For those who like unreleased stuff, I would suggest the 4 box set of TRACKS. Great gems hidden there as well.

Live stuff - Any Roxy show (75 / 78), Winterland, Bottom Line 75, Legendary Night 7/1/00

If interested, I could share some boots from the 70's if you want. You want to talk about amazing stuff, those shows from 75 through 78 are classics......Even the New Year's Eve show at Nassau - He played for over 3 hours........

Let me know.

Born To Run

Born In The U.S.A.

The Rising

Live In New York City

Live 1975-1985

Nebraska

The Ghost Of Tom Joad

Devils & Dust

Get them in that order and have fun!

Danospano said:
UnforgettableLemon: Yeah, that's for the correction. :)

I would have bought the Essential package if I hadn't already obtained all his albums before it was released. Sure, it has the rarities disc, but it's just not worth it considering I have the rest of the collection.

Greatest Hits was the first Springsteen album I ever bought and it convinced me to investigate Born to Run, because of the title track, but mainly because of Thunder Road (Still my favorite Boss track), and made to check out Human Touch and Lovetown despite the critical thrashing they received from the reviewers; Human Touch and Better Days are great rock tunes.

Anyway, let us know what you think...

lovetown = lucky town?

i seriously had to go doublecheck my cd case...i've made mistakes like that before. i called dkm's "fightstarter karaoke" "firestarter karaoke" for about 4 or 5 years...:shifty:

mkdominatr said:
has anyone bought then new cd...i like it very much, mellow but there are times for it...

yeah, if you look in the other threads, a bunch of people bought it.

i like it a hell of a lot.

'Born To Run' gets my vote. It's one of the greatest rock records of all time.

'Born In The USA' and 'Darkness on the Edge of Town' are close in second place.

And 'Tunnel of Love' 'aint bad either. Oh... and 'Nebraska' for that matter.

Hell... I don't know! He has too many!

Got the new CD/DVD the other day............it is great.....I go out to my car at lunchtime and listen to it on my Bose system....and then I unfortunately have to go back to work and listen to the silence......they don't like us listening to music while we're working.....now they have a new thing....you can't write poetry while you're working.....you have to do it during breaks.....so now I go get Bruce's CD and off to the car I go with my journal and write my work for the day as well and at lunchtime I read the newspaper in the car. Sometimes I feel my car is my office away from the office........actually I like it better than where I work.....my workplace :reject: :banghead: :down:

But Bruce's CD is :rockon: I have the CD case propped up in front of my computer screen waiting for some one to just say something against Bruce and then the fur will be flying or us wizards sometime take the quiet "spell on you" route. Wizards are quick to angst.

:|

i don't think :rockon: would be the appropriate smiley to use, but the album is great.

at risk of derailing this thread, i'm curious why you'd be writing poetry at work anyway :shrug: shouldn't you be...dare i say it...working? :wink:

Back
Top Bottom