Best Beatles Song Survivor - The Final Draw - GRAND QUARTERFINAL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your LEAST Favorite Song

• A Day In The Life

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Strawberry Fields Forever

Votes: 11 31.4%
  • Here Comes The Sun

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Hey Jude

Votes: 14 40.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can I ask a question? What makes ADITL so above&beyond the rest for you guys? I mean, it's a great song, no doubt, but I don't understand this god-like treatmean this forum has given to this song. It's probably got the least combined votes against it in the entire competition(that is, if you take all the votes against in all the rounds of its intiial draw(Sgt Pepper) and add them to all the votes against it in all the rounds of the final draw, the number would be the smaller than it would be for any of the other songs in the final draw).

It's a brilliant song. I just don't understand why it's so hard for people to vote against it.

LemonMelon said:

I was thinking that earlier...if it were up to me, the top four would look like this:

Strawberry Fields Forever
Penny Lane
You Never Give Me Your Money
Ticket To Ride

Obviously, that didn't pan out. :wink:

Yesterday
Here Comes The Sun
Hey Jude
Across The Universe

Believe me, being a Lennon man, nobody is more surprised than I am that my preferred final four would have only one Lennon song in it.

I don't know. For all the defending I do of Paul (and god knows he needs it around here! :wink: ), I do really love this Paul-lite song.

It's epic, it's beautiful, I love the orchestration, the lyrics, the melody, the crashing chaos at the end.

namkcuR said:
It's a brilliant song. I just don't understand why it's so hard for people to vote against it.

Wait until the final round. It will be much closer than this. The reason it's doing so well right now is because there's nothing to really hate about it.

SFF is too weird for many folks.
Here Comes The Sun is too slight.
Hey Jude is too repetitive and boring.

What flaw does ADITL have?

namkcuR said:
Can I ask a question? What makes ADITL so above&beyond the rest for you guys? I mean, it's a great song, no doubt, but I don't understand this god-like treatmean this forum has given to this song. It's probably got the least combined votes against it in the entire competition(that is, if you take all the votes against in all the rounds of its intiial draw(Sgt Pepper) and add them to all the votes against it in all the rounds of the final draw, the number would be the smaller than it would be for any of the other songs in the final draw).

1. Great vocals and backing aaaahhhhhhhh's by Lennon (which would later be copied on Guess God Thinks I'm Abel by Liam G ;) ).
2. Great little quick middle 8 by McCartney.
3. All the interesting sounds like an alarm clock going off, the countdown and wall of noise.

I just think it comes very close to being the epitome of a perfect Beatles song!

LemonMelon said:

Wait until the final round. It will be much closer than this. The reason it's doing so well right now is because there's nothing to really hate about it.

SFF is too weird for many folks.
Here Comes The Sun is too slight.
Hey Jude is too repetitive and boring.

What flaw does ADITL have?

It doesn't have a melody that will knock you out on first listen the way Hey Jude and Here Comes The Sun do. It doesn't have Here Comes The Sun's effortless joy. It doesn't have the variety of mood changes that SFF does. It doesn't have the classic, timeless, sing-along, melody that Hey Jude does.

Oh, and I don't mean to bash HCTS with that "slight" comment. I just mean that it feels a bit thin compared to three of the Beatles' most epic songs. It's wonderful though, probably my second favorite of the four remaining.

namkcuR said:

It doesn't have a melody that will knock you out on first listen the way Hey Jude and Here Comes The Sun do. It doesn't have Here Comes The Sun's effortless joy. It doesn't have the variety of mood changes that SFF does. It doesn't have the classic, timeless, sing-along, melody that Hey Jude does.

That's true. It's not exactly sing along euphoric joy... it's more trippy.

Why is ADITL so popular?

It's not just on this forum that it's beloved. Think of how many greatest 500 rock song lists it's topped over the years. It's almost always right up there, along with Stairway to Heaven. I think ADITL is widely considered the Beatles' best song.

I love it. The piano introduction is incredibly haunting, but John Lennon's singing, especially after McCartney's part, even more so. It's gorgeous, cosmic, otherworldly.

If it comes down to ADITL and SFF, I'll have to give it very careful consideration, because SFF is another of those songs that I sometimes think is the best song ever written.

Hey Jude, while a great song, certainly doesn't reach that high level. Here Comes The Sun comes close.

I'd definitely been happy if songs like I Am The Walrus and Penny Lane made the final -- except that SFF wouldn't have been here in that case.

SeattleVertigo said:
If it comes down to ADITL and SFF, I'll have to give it very careful consideration, because SFF is another of those songs that I sometimes think is the best song ever written.

:yes:

namkcuR said:
The final should be Hey Jude vs Here Comes The Sun.

Um... No

phanan said:
The hilarious thing is that all of these songs are classics and we are just nitpicking for the purpose of this game.

LemonMelon said:
Here Comes The Sun owns :drool: Who keeps voting for it? :huh:

I concur LM, I concur

Zootlesque said:

Hey Jude is a good song! I just don't think it deserves to be alive this far into the game. Only an opinion.

LemonMelon said:

Hey Jude doesn't make me want to go postal or anything, but it's pretty bad compared to those other classics. :shrug:

and I do agree on the 'Ticket To Ride' love :up:

remember... All You Need Is Love :)

corianderstem said:
I don't know. For all the defending I do of Paul (and god knows he needs it around here! :wink: ), I do really love this Paul-lite song.

It's epic, it's beautiful, I love the orchestration, the lyrics, the melody, the crashing chaos at the end.

:up: I think it's the perfect Paul/John mix, in that it showcases their individual strengths and combined greatness. As for what's it about, there are differing stories, but I've always heard it as John lifting random events from a newspaper, while Paul's going along, representing the 'everyman' daily routine. I think John's "I read the news today oh, boy" lyric is just laden with sarcasm. Even the way he delivers it is detached. That gets into the timelessness of the song--I think it's especially powerful now, with so much being thrown at us on a daily basis. Whether it's war, the environment, or poverty, it's easy to feel ambiguous about making a difference--it's even easier to maintain an alienated existence.

When John sings "I'd love to turn you on.." I think that's about lifting yourself out of that mundane existence, and creating something greater than what's just handed to you by society.

Of course, the entire thing could just be about drugs. :wink:

The final piano chord, that E-major, is just amazing...it resonates even more on the 'Love' version. :drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom