Best Beatles Song Survivor - The Final Draw - GRAND FINAL

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your FAVORITE Song - This Is For ALL THE MONEY!

• A Day In The Life

Votes: 25 52.1%
  • Strawberry Fields Forever

Votes: 23 47.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow man, that's really a poor way to do it.

Basically nullifies all 42 votes of those of us who got in on time, and to an extent cheapens all the votes in all the previous rounds.

At the very least this round should be extended, I think mods can re-open polls. But damn, I really don't want it to come down to one specific person making the decision for the whole contest.

DaveC said:

At the very least this round should be extended, I think mods can re-open polls. But damn, I really don't want it to come down to one specific person making the decision for the whole contest.

I vote for this. Just extend the poll another 24 hours.

DaveC said:
Wow man, that's really a poor way to do it.

Basically nullifies all 42 votes of those of us who got in on time, and to an extent cheapens all the votes in all the previous rounds.

How is ANY different than if Fitz had simply voted for whichever song on time, and clicked the button on the poll? The rest of the votes would still count.

Him casting the 43rd and final vote as a text post is no different than him casting the 43rd and final vote via the poll other than that he won't be annonymous this way.

There is no difference.

If anything, this way is fairer, because no matter how many times I say, 'only those who haven't voted yet should vote', there will be people who already voted who vote again.

namkcuR said:

If anything, this way is fairer, because no matter how many times I say, 'only those who haven't voted yet should vote', there will be people who already voted who vote again.

JUST EXTEND THE POLL.

Then he can vote, and others that haven't voted yet can vote too, so it won't be all based on one person.

IT WILL NOT BE BASED ON ONE PERSON'S VOTE!

Why can't you guys get this?

What if the poll was 21-21 with 30 seconds left, and Fitz casts his vote, and one of the songs wins 22-21.

How is that ANY different than Fitz casting his vote now and one of the songs winning 22-21?

I just don't see where all of this 'based on one person' stuff is coming from. It's an illusion you're creating based on the fact that he won't be annonymous.

Do you see what I'm saying? Even if he had voted in the poll before it closed and it finished 22-21, it STILL would have all come down to his vote.

But how is that better than letting more people than Fitz vote? Early on in the thread it was suggested that this poll run longer than normal, and so it should be. 21-21 = 0-0. The victor would be decided by one person's vote.

But the Victor STILL would've been decided by one person's vote if Fitz or anybody else had given one more vote to either of the songs before the poll closed! Any time you have a victory by a margin of one, that means that SOMEBODY broke the tie and that that SOMEBODY had the 'deciding vote'. That's the nature of ties.

I don't see the point in dragging this out another 24 hours.

Last edited:
namkcuR said:

I don't see the point in dragging this out another 24 horus.

I don't see the point in breaking away from your previous formula. We've done countless tiebreakers in this competition; why change things?

namkcuR said:
Countless? We've done exactly ONE tiebreaker, for the White Album's final round.

:lol: Oops. Oh well. Precedence still rules all. And my point still stands. :wink:

Well, it has been over 16 months. I don't see what another day or two will hurt.

I'd rather B&C felt like their winning song was elected fairly. So far no one seems to want my vote to be the tiebreaker.

Again: not my competition. I'll just vote in whatever manner B&C deems appropriate.

I'd prefer to extend the vote for 24 hours -- we're big people, we can handle a little extra wait! <wink> Doing that seems less arbitrary than telling Fitz, it's all on you -- you pick the winner. He did miss the deadline.

And if it's still tied after 24 more hours, namkcuR can flip a coin to pick the ultimate winner! I don't know.

I don't even mind having co-winners for the competition. Does it really harm anything to have two winners?

Fitz, I say you decline to vote and let it stand as a tie. What's wrong with having co-champions?

x-posted with SeattleVertigo - co-champions! Co-champions! Co-champions!

:hi5:

There absolutely will not be any of this co-champions business.

I didn't run this for over a year only to not have a winner. :wink:

FitzChivalry said:

Well, namkcuR, so far not ONE person thinks me being the tiebreaker is a worthy solution. So I think it's time for your "Plan B".

:wink:

Not a reflection on your ability to do it fairly, Fitz -- just thinking about the process, no personalities involved.

While I disagree with the logic you guys are using, I do recognize the importance of ending the competition in a way that the consensus feels good about. With this in mind, I have PMed Sicy and asked her to re-open this poll for one more day. We'll see what happens.

Yeah, but after a year+ of voting and such, the grand finale poll should have been more than 24 hours. Just my opinion. :wink:

SeattleVertigo said:
I'd prefer to extend the vote for 24 hours -- we're big people, we can handle a little extra wait! <wink> Doing that seems less arbitrary than telling Fitz, it's all on you -- you pick the winner. He did miss the deadline.

This is exactly my feeling. I understand where you're coming from, Nam, but he DID miss the deadline. That's not a problem to me (hell, we've all missed deadlines before), but if there are others that missed it too and still want to vote but haven't spoken up, it's not fair to them to allow Fitz to pick the winner for the whole thing and then allow others who also were late not to cast their votes.

Extending it by a day or two is definitely fair. Who knows, maybe Fitz would have picked Strawberry Fields, but there are 5 others who were planning on voting for A Day in the Life. Then the results are messed up if Fitz makes the only call.

Personally, I think the co-champions thing isn't so bad. If there's any band that can't be defined by just one song, it's this one.

As much as it pains me to quote Paul, let it be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom