Best Beatles Song Survivor - 'The Beatles AKA The White Album' Draw - Round 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your LEAST Favorite Song

• Back In The U.S.S.R.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dear Prudence

• Glass Onion

• Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da

• Wild Honey Pie

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • While My Guitar Gently Weeps

• Happiness Is A Warm Gun

• Martha My Dear

• I'm So Tired

• Blackbird

• Piggies

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Rocky Raccoon

• Don't Pass Me By

• Why Don't We Do It In The Road?

• I Will

• Julia

• Birthday

• Yer Blues

• Mother Nature's Son

• Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey

• Sexy Sadie

• Helter Skelter

• Long, Long, Long

• Revolution 1

• Honey Pie

• Savoy Truffle

• Cry Baby Cry

• Revolution 9

Votes: 8 33.3%
  • Good Night

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Revolution 9 is the shit! :drool:

It's exactly the kind of stuff I can just listen and mellow out to. Especially when the fire starts to crackle and John makes those noises :combust: <- Literally!

Mother Nature's Son :yuck:
I like Wild Honey Pie though. I like almost everything on this album and if Abbey Road weren't blow-my-mind-awesome, it would be my #1. It was my favorite Beatles album for a long, long time.

COBL_04 said:
I'm surprised at how many people like Revolution 1... I think it's pretty bland myself. Is there a faster version or a remake I am thinking of? My Dad reckons its there best song...when I heard I was all like, "Meh."

Yes, there is a sped-up version of Revolution 1, which is the one you hear on the radio. It wasn't officially on an album, it was the B-side to Hey Jude, I think.

This version is notable for having an extra, important word in it.

"When you talk about destruction, don't you know that you can count me out ....... in!"

The faster, B-side version does not have "in." "In" changes the whole sentiment of the song, and it's a little eerie. In a good way. :wink:

"Rocky Raccoon" :applaud:

I've always LOVED this song for some reason. Lyrically it's got that great storytelling narrative, sort of like Pearl Jam's "Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town".

I know it's not going to win, but I would still like to see it make it at least half way through.

Go Rocky, GO!!!!

Jesus! That is allot of choices...

I'm going to start with Revolution #9 since that's just nonsense...

I would really like to see Blackbird win. I think it's one of McCartney's greatest songs of all time, in fact he also has another one of my all time faves on this album as well: Mother Natures Son...

The only other track I am comfortable with winning is While My Guitar Gently Weeps because it's one of George's best...

PlaTheGreat said:
Revolution 9 is the shit! :drool:

It's exactly the kind of stuff I can just listen and mellow out to. Especially when the fire starts to crackle and John makes those noises :combust: <- Literally!

:drool: I love Revolution 9! So many interesting things going on throughout the song, it's like a movie on CD. :love:

As usual, the most interesting song is getting eliminated first! Most people here seem to have no sense of adventure. :down:

I like adventure. But I like it to be something other than a too-long pile of various noises.

Experimental does not automatically mean good.

Can we just vote on Blackbird, While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Revolution 1 and 9, Helter Skelter, Long Long Long, Back in the USSR, Dear Prudence, Happiness is a Warm Gun, Julia, and I'm So Tired so this won't take 3 weeks to finish?

corianderstem said:
I like adventure. But I like it to be something other than a too-long pile of various noises.

Bingo.

A bunch of random sounds put together doesn't = adventurous/interesting. It's lazy and tedious for the listener.

Now "Happiness is a Warm Gun" - THAT'S a fucking interesting song. It's amazing how well the drastic changes in structure work so wonderfully together.

:drool:

corianderstem said:

Agreed. I didn't intend to mean that experimental automatically equals good. But most of the time, the more experimental songs don't seem to win here. Tomorrow Never Knows, Walrus, I'm Only Sleeping all lost.

Gotcha, thanks for clarifying. I was feeling a little defensive. :wink:

You have to admit though, Tomorrow Never Knows probably would have won had it not been meddled with. That would have been a point in favor of experimentation. :up:

XHendrix24 said:

Bingo.

A bunch of random sounds put together doesn't = adventurous/interesting. It's lazy and tedious for the listener.

Now "Happiness is a Warm Gun" - THAT'S a fucking interesting song. It's amazing how well the drastic changes in structure work so wonderfully together.

:drool:

Radiohead liked it so much they made their own song like this called Paranoid Android.

And liked Sexy Sadie so much they redid it and called it Karma Police.

I jus' sayin'...

XHendrix24 said:

Not necessarilly. What if the sounds are fun to listen to?

Who cares if there is no structure, as long as the sounds are good.

Which, for me, makes Rev 9 much more interesting to to listen to than unremarkable songs like Yer Blues and Rev 1.

Rev 9 certainly isn't tedious. It's pretentious and self-indulgent, but not tedious.

intedomine said:
Alright, who the hell voted for Piggies?

That song is factually brilliant and very clever.

I agree. So is Honey Pie...it's creative and a successful genre experiment.

In fact, I reckon The White Album, despite being much maligned, is successful in most of the genre experiments attempted.

The album was never meant to be about cohesion. It was all about slapping 30 tracks together on a compilation.

Good Night is one of my top best tracks from the album and works beautfiully as a closing track and with Ringo's vocal, and who'd have thought The Beatles could ever have sounded like that!

the fact that only EIGHT out of [at the time of writing] twenty four votes are for the piece of garbage that is Revolution 9 is appalling, disgusting and mind-boggling in equal measure. Shame on you remaining 16. :|

gareth brown said:
the fact that only EIGHT out of [at the time of writing] twenty four votes are for the piece of garbage that is Revolution 9 is appalling, disgusting and mind-boggling in equal measure. Shame on you remaining 16. :|

Rev 9 > Don't Pass Me By

Or rather

garbage > Don't Pass Me By :wink:

I am SO glad I accidentally closed a window in which I was in the middle of agreeing with you in the Radiohead thread. :wink:

Seriously...The Beatles have done FAR worse than Don't Pass Me By...like "Garbage" :hmm:

gareth brown said:
I am SO glad I accidentally closed a window in which I was in the middle of agreeing with you in the Radiohead thread. :wink:

Seriously...The Beatles have done FAR worse than Don't Pass Me By...like "Garbage" :hmm:

Everyone wants a piece of me tonight :cute:

elevated_u2_fan said:

:hyper:

It's like that scene from Airplane! when all the guys are lined up to slap that hysterical woman...

:lol:

you and your Airplane! references.

"Would you like some cream?"
"No, I like my coffee black, like my men."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom