Best Beatles Song Survivor - 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band' Draw - Round 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your LEAST Favorite Song

• Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • With A Little Help From My Friends

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds

• Getting Better

• Fixing A Hole

• She's Leaving Home

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite!

• Within You Without You

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • When I'm Sixty-Four

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Lovely Rita

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Good Morning Good Morning

Votes: 8 23.5%
  • Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band(Reprise)

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • A Day In The Life

Votes: 4 11.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lancemc said:

But the reprise in Carry That Weight doesn't automatically include YNGMYM in the medley. Are we going to argue that the SGT Pepper reprise constitutes a full album cycle, so it's all one grand concept suite?

I think that's how it was intended, but I'm pretty sure they failed. :lmao:

In any case, I'm quite surprised that people dislike She's Leaving Home as much as I do. :slant:

Lancemc said:
You could also argue against that. YNGMYM and Sun King are two complete and seperate songs, must like all the preceeding album. Just because there's no gap between Sun King and Mr. Mustard doesn't mean it's part of a medley. It's just good album production. I mean, it's pretty stupid to even argue about this one way or another, because the whole second half of the album is only how it is because the band hated each other at this point and couldn't really finish all these songs they started. Thank God for George Martin.

But the reprise in Carry That Weight doesn't automatically include YNGMYM in the medley. Are we going to argue that the SGT Pepper reprise constitutes a full album cycle, so it's all one grand concept suite? I mean, not quite the same case, but you get my point. I'm just saying, if you added a one-second gap between YNGMYM, Sun King, and Mr. Mustard, the album would still sound perfect. If you did that with the real "medley tracks" it would sound horrible. That's because YNGMYM and Sun King aren't in the "medley".

I respectfully disagree.

Wikipedia said:
Note: "You Never Give Me Your Money", "Sun King", "Mean Mr. Mustard", "Polythene Pam", "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window", "Golden Slumbers", "Carry That Weight" and "The End" are sometimes noted as one song (medley) called "The Abbey Road Medley". This has also been loosely referred to as "The Rock Symphony".

http://www.recmusicbeatles.com/public/files/awp/medley.html said:
- In the realm of opera (both "classic" and "rock") you find a musical approach that is very similar to the _Abbey Road_ medley (rats, I think we're stuck with the label for better or worse), but the opera form is able to lean as heavily as it needs to upon a story line thread to enhance its musical sense of continuity; this as true in "Tommy" as it is in "Marriage of Figaro." By contrast, the extent to which the Abbey Road medley is relatively abstract at the level of its lyrics is a point worth emphasizing.

- Getting down to cases, the Medley comprises eight songs that are performed in a specific sequence and without break as follows:

1. You Never Give Me Your Money (cross fade)
2. Sun King (complete ending, but rhythmically segued)
3. Mean Mr Mustard (segued)
4. Polythene Pam (segued)
5. She Came In Through The Bathroom Window (complete but somehow inconclusive ending)
6. Golden Slumbers (complete ending, but rhythmically segued)
7. Carry That Weight (segued)
8. The End (complete ending)

BTW, I urge you to check out the website referenced in the second quote...regardless of whether you agree with it or not, it's a very interesting read.

Last edited:
I don't think Her Majesty is part of the medley.

Her Majesty is Paul McCartney having the last word, therefore marring what would have been the perfect ending to the Beatles career ("... the love you take is equal to the love you make."). :(

I love Paul, but I've always had kind of grudge against him for that bit of ego.

corianderstem said:
I don't think Her Majesty is part of the medley.

Her Majesty is Paul McCartney having the last word. :(

Factually wrong: It was originally part of the medley between Mean Mr. Mustard and Polythene Pam, it was Paul's song, and during the final mixing sessions, Paul himself decided to cut it out of the master tape(literally) because he knew it didn't fit.

Really! Huh.

Was it his decision to throw it onto the very end? Maybe Paul has been redeemed in my eyes. :wink:

This is painful to even start voting here. I guess Track 1... :slant: The reprise is better.

And Within You Without You is awesome! :madwife: So is Love You To! And I'm not saying that just cos I'm Indian. :wink: I hardly listen to any indian music.

Zootlesque said:
This is painful to even start voting here. I guess Track 1... :slant: The reprise is better.

This round sucks. Nothing should be voted off. Can't we just put the whole album in the Final? Same with side 2 of Abbey Road.

After much internal debate I voted for She's Leaving Home. I might have to abstain from here on in though.

Lovely Rita and Day In The Life are the best songs from the album...

Getting Better is my worst, so I'll be campaigning against that...

Still a bit disappointed that Eleanor Rigby defeated Tomorrow Never Knows, but ah well, the tribe has spoken...

It's already a close round, and anything could still happen....but please enough with the votes for Lovely Rita :(

It's between those two for me, Fixing A Hole and Getting Better. Fixing A Hole is slightly more interesting for me. She's Leaving Home would be next, it's a real lull in an otherwise fine album...

God, I woke up this morning, voted and realized that a Day in the Life has 3 votes already. Who are these people????? :banghead:

LemonMacPhisto said:

4 words: Here Comes the Sun.

:love: Now I have two heroes: George Harrison and you!

I'm voting for Good Morning Good Morning because me no like... The beginning alone GOOD MORNING!! GOOD MORNING!!! ugghh :barf:

And for you rubes voting for A Day In The Life; a part of me dies every vote that is cast... :sad:

How fucked up is it that A Day In The Life has 3 votes and Fixing A Hole currently has 0??????

I think you should have to take some sort of Beatles Quuz before voting in these things...

Last edited:
I use Good Morning Good Morning as my wake up call in the morning. That rooster gets on everyone's nerves.

PERFECT. :drool:

elevated_u2_fan said:

And for you rubes voting for A Day In The Life; a part of me dies every vote that is cast... :sad:

How fucked up is it that A Day In The Life has 3 votes and Fixing A Hole currently has 0??????

I think you should have to take some sort of Beatles Quuz before voting in these things...

strategic voting, dude.

When I'm Sixty-Four has 4 votes? WTF? :mad:

Good Morning Good Morning rocks. I love the solo.

I don't mind Within You Without You, but it is very out of place on this album. However, it doesn't appear that voting for it would make any difference at this point, so I'll go with the other song that I could care less about, which just happens to be in the lead right now.

Good Morning Good Morning.

lighter.2002_0129_013251.jpg

"For the reprise!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom