Best Beatles Song Survivor - 'Past Masters Vol. 2' Draw - Round 6

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your LEAST Favorite Song

• Day Tripper

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • We Can Work It Out

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Paperback Writer

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Hey Jude

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Revolution

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
LemonMacPhisto said:
There has to be an unwritten rule that 95% of the people who comment YouTube videos are insanely stupid.

My dad has made a point never to read them. I still do, but it's only because of gems like "LOLOLLZLZLZZZZZ" :|

It's pretty bad.

Back to this poll... I do not want to go back to the poll.

Don't worry...it'll be closed soon.

Then another one will start and Hey Jude will die in that one.

What's that, another two days of suffering for you? :sick:

I can't believe that Revolution is potentially going to win this thing. Some days I'd even say it's my favorite Beatles song.

And LemonMelon, I have to disagree about the guitar sound. To me it's like a giant breakthrough in rock.. Who else was playing shit that dirty and loud, aside from Hendrix? The lick itself is revolutionary. It blares from the speakers like a giant fist.

Revolution 1 is a nice little ditty, but the subject matter deserves music as powerful as the lyrics.

Also, I'm no Paul fan, but really Hey Jude should be in second place, overplayed or not.

Although Revolution 1 would have been my choice to win the White Album draw, I have always found the electric version to be somewhat abrasive. In any case, this line may be my single favorite Beatles lyric: "If you go carrying pictures of Chairman Mao, you're not going to make with anyone anyhow.":happy:

I don't think Revolution would be a worthy winner of this album, but that's just me.

Since Paperback Writer is about to be voted out, I s'pose I'll root for We Can Work It Out for the win. But I might end up picking Hey Jude in the end. I feel differently one moment to the next!

LemonMelon said:
:( I just miss Revolution 1's horns every time I listen to the single version.

IMO, the best version of Revolution period is the live version. It felt a bit more reigned in, and the extra harmonies really made it feel like the best of both worlds.

Thanks for that link LM, I've never seen that clip before.

It sure sounds a lot like the electric version to me.

One strange thing is that there had to be some backing tape playing here, right? I didn't see Nicky Hopkins (or anyone else) playing piano onstage, and you could hear the little solo. Also, I was trying to figure out if John or George was playing that lead lick, but neither one's playing appeared to match. I know the vocals are live, is it possible none of the instruments were miked? It doesn't even sound like there are two guitar parts anyway. I guess I'll have to check my BeatleSongs book to see who played what on the orig. track.

Was sure cool to watch tho. I didn't even know this was played live at all.

LemonMacPhisto said:

If this happens, I'm giving up pretty much all hope on the competition.

I'm sorry, people all have different tastes and that's great, but Hey Jude is fucking Hey Jude.

Any other band would kill to have a song that good, and for The Beatles, it's like their 5th best song, but that's just my opinion.

Paperback Writer is good, but it's a throwaway track, Hey Jude is not.

:up: :up:

and as for youtube commenters, i actually read one guy say to me that "I'm pretty sure that Adam Clayton didn't write any of his basslines until All that You can't Leave Behind... Bono and Edge wrote them for him."

I won't go into my reply, being a G rated forum and all... :wink:

lazarus said:

Thanks for that link LM, I've never seen that clip before.

It sure sounds a lot like the electric version to me.

One strange thing is that there had to be some backing tape playing here, right? I didn't see Nicky Hopkins (or anyone else) playing piano onstage, and you could hear the little solo. Also, I was trying to figure out if John or George was playing that lead lick, but neither one's playing appeared to match. I know the vocals are live, is it possible none of the instruments were miked? It doesn't even sound like there are two guitar parts anyway. I guess I'll have to check my BeatleSongs book to see who played what on the orig. track.

Was sure cool to watch tho. I didn't even know this was played live at all.

You're right, there is some kind of tape playing. It's strange though...the track sounds a bit slower, and you can hear feedback coming off of the amps...it's hard to tell exactly what is from a tape outside of the piano. The vocals are definitely new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom