Best & Worst Ending For A Film (without spoilers okay?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foray

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Ever got engrossed in a movie and ended up disappointed with how the ends were tied up (or not tied up)? I'd say the worst endings I've seen are City of Angels because the makers threw so many balls up in the air and only caught a few. Dying Young was also a disappointment especially when the acting was okay and the screenplay was going somewhere. I'm not sure about adding A.I. to the list because I have mixed feelings about it.

The Best Ending for me goes to Ang Lee's Eat Drink Man Woman. It isn't dramatic, it has no profound statements at the end. Instead, it is incredibly simple and amazingly ties up the film very nicely and is very heartwarming. I highly recommend this film. It also tempts your tastebuds with all that cooking going on in it.

foray

A.I was more of a patchy dissapointment, so many endings towards the end, and the one they opted for probably wasn't the best in my mind, I wonder how Kubrick would have concluded

Best ending for me is without doubt The Shawshank Redemption, the whole last half hour is mind-blowing, very emotional, and a huge release for the audience after all that they have experienced before. Other mentions - Bladerunner-Directors Cut, Empire Strikes Back, The Shining,and the incredible last 15-20 minute conclusion of Society, and Seven

What about the ending for K-PAX? So many people complained about it-but I liked it.

I like movies that leave you w/ more questions than answers-AI did this too.

------------------
If you are really good friends with The Edge, you can just call him The~ Adam

The right side of my brain is kinda redundant~ Larry

I HATED the ending of "Brokedown Palace". It came on TV one afternoon, and I never just plunk my ass down in the afternoon to watch a movie, but I decided to that day...what a waste of time! The ending sucked royally (I'd explain why, but I don't want to give it away).

I agree though that "Shawshank Redemption" had a great ending. I loved it.

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

[This message has been edited by Bonochick (edited 11-25-2001).]

Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon has both for me, I dunno, that film has everything and I love it to bits.

Shawshank for sure, can't think of any others right now, I'm sure there is many I'm forgetting, oh , Fight Club! Well, Sixth Sense, and The Others, they're all obvious.

The Untouchables, Field Of Dreams, and dave all have great endings.
I'll have to think about the worst.

------------------
Look...look what you've done to me...You've made me poor and infamous, and I thank you...

My name is MISS MACPHISTO...I'm tired and i want to go HOME...

"Well you tell...Bonovista,that i said hello and that my codename is Belleview" - Bono before opening night of Anaheim Elevation concert

I dislike endings for : Rattle&Hum ( Pride as the last song/shot of the movie??? , this isn't right ) , I LOVE all Star Wars endings .

Bad endings...
*The Game (starring Michael Douglas, Sean Penn)
*The Pledge (starring Jack Nicholson)
*Magnolia
*Planet of the Apes (the remake)

Good endings...
*Unbreakable
*The Usual Suspects
*Life of Brian
*Planet of the Apes (the original)

------------------
"Good men die unhappily. Bad men die unluckily. THAT's tragedy." --Tom Stoppard

Adam: Look guys, I got a Springfield spoon for my spoon collection.
Edge: Oh boy, here we go...
Bono: Wow, how many is that now Adam?
Adam: Nine. If I didn't have my spoons, I'd go insane.
Bono: Can I see it?
*adam gives bono the spoon, bono throws it away*
Adam: My spoon!

The end of the Sixth Sense sucked.
tongue.gif

Fight CLub was good, so was Shawshank Redemption and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

------------------
A vampire or a victim
It depends on who's around

the end of double jeopardy was atrocious. i know it's not exactly a movie you would have expected much from but not even ashley judd could save it. the whole movie was stupid but the end...ughhh.
i also found unbreakable to be a letdown as the end wasn't really a surprise.

the part at the end of the usual suspects when i pull up in the jag(hehehe) and pick up ______(go see the movie if you haven't already)
yaaa usual suspects has an excellent ending, as does memento, seven, shawshank.

------------------
Kobayashi's bizarre use of colour, superfast editing and extreme camera angles, coupled with a hilariously deadpan performance by Toshiro Takemitsu as the inspector who discovers a whole family of ghosts travelling without valid tickets, remains without peer.

Bad endings:

LA Confidential - Ok, I'm a big sap and I have a soft spot for happy endings, but I felt that in this particular film, it was just completely unbelieveable and phony.

White Palace with James Spader and Susan Sarandon - another cheapening "happy" ending.

Good endings:

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Godfather Part II
Memento
Seven

Ooh, and I forgot to mention the movie that could probably have both the worst and the best ending - Dancer in the Dark. Worst, because at the end of the movie I wanted to strangle the director for being such a bloody sadist, and best, well, maybe that's the kind of reaction he wanted you to have?
smile.gif

Although I am a great fan of Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, I loved it immensely, it was one of the best films of that year... still, I don't understand why some of you cite it as having a good ending. She jumps off the cliff? What kind of wish was that anyway? Why don't they just travel to the desert the old fashioned way? Too much poetry, not good plot ending.

me.

The worst would have to be The Matrix. I loved the film up till the end. Then they pulled that shitty-assed contrived Hollywood ending.

All the Star Wars films have great endings.

TPM: Very disturbing if you know what's going on.

ANH: The tension combined with the music makes it.

ESB: Keeps you antsy for a conclusion.

ROTJ: I honestly still get chills.

I also like the endings to all of Kevin Smith's movies.

------------------
<A HREF="http://"http://www.iusb.edu/~preimers/monkey.jpg"" TARGET=_blank>It's a monkey!</A>

Saracene: Lars von Trier is one sick puppy, and he will do that to you. I'm sure he'd be happy that you reacted that way.

Famous Rungi: No spoilers, hmmmm?
rolleyes.gif

Not George Lucas: What are the actual titles of the films you mention?

Oh, here's one that hasn't been mentioned before. I loved the ending of Final Destination.

I think I"m the only person that actually ever saw the movie "Mute Witness" this movie was SO STUPID and ridiculous that I cant even begin...

I liked the end of Sixth Sense myself, along with Fight Club
biggrin.gif

------------------
How do you keep a moron busy for an hour? Two words... Extreme Paddleball

"wow...look at those two birds... they look just like airplanes, the way they're flying..."

" because they are airplanes..."

Originally posted by Klodomir:
Famous Rungi: No spoilers, hmmmm?
rolleyes.gif

Classic kramer moment on a telephone comp ad down here- in the queue for 'TITANIC 2' he exclaims on his cellphone 'It sinks again???'

biggrin.gif

Hmmm...I would say Memento, but did that HAVE an ending? It was a series of endings, so I'm confused...but it was a GREAT movie. I loved the ending to Usual Suspects..."Kaizer Sozer!!!!!"

------------------
Go lightly down your darkened way.

Klodomir - Sorry. I forgot this wasn't a Star Wars board.
smile.gif

TPM = The Phantom Menace
ANH = A New Hope (Star Wars)
ESB = Empire Strikes Back
ROTJ = Return of the Jedi

------------------
<A HREF="http://"http://www.iusb.edu/~preimers/monkey.jpg"" TARGET=_blank>It's a monkey!</A>

maybe not the end end but definately the sequence in which the missing painting problem is resolved in the '99 remake of Thomas Crown Affair. I think it qualifies as an end and it's definately a great one.

Other than that I can't think of any other movie that wasn't already mentioned. I kinda of agree with all your choices. Shawshank and Usual Suspects being some of my fave movies. I kind of like the school of '99 American Beauty, Green Mile, and Insider all had good endings and were exceptional movies. The Fugitive and Traffic are also up there.

------------------
Tha Prickly Comedian

Ok no one has probably seen this movie, but Rat Race has THE WORST ending ever. I cannot account for why I saw this movie (my sobriety was in question) but all I have to say about the ending is ITS SMASHMOUTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
EWWWWWWWWWWWWW.......

------------------
Please repeat the message, it's the music that we choose. http://www.sit.wisc.edu/~kljense3/MrTvs.html

[This message has been edited by notiti (edited 12-05-2001).]

Back
Top Bottom