Best American Band Ever?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bruce springsteen and the e street band!!!!!

and then, the doors

currently, though, i would add bright eyes...but that's cause of my own personal appreciation

yeah, yeah the pixies are cool, so are the flaming lips,
nirvana, bon jovi and aerosmith are pure rubbish..,
velvet underground is underrated,
grateful dead were good,
red hot chili peppers are awesome,
pearl jam had its moment,
dave matthews sucks,
the ramones are now a legend
...the list goes on and on

but for me bruce and the e streetes dominated all [even if not as legendary 'cool' as the doors [which i also love] ]
they had great lyrics, great musicians, wide range of music styles, and where even better live.

so there goes my vote,

Last edited:
CCR anyone? Eagles?

Heck, I'd even throw The White Stripes into the mix.

Wilco. (saw em Sunday) :drool:

I will at least say this:

The Wild, The Innocent, and The E-Street Shuffle, at least as far as pure, unadulterated rock-and-roll goes (and I guess I couldn't even tell you what that really means...I just know it if I hear it), is the greatest album ever recorded.

I don't think it's THE greatest record of all time, but by that criterion, I don't see how the fuck else another album could even be considered. For me, at least.

"Spanish Johnny, you can leave me tonight...
but just don't leave me alone."

That may be my favorite couplet in history. It's right up there, no matter what.

Here we come
Walking down the street
We get the funniest looks from
Everyone we meet.

Hey, hey we're the Monkees,
and people say we monkey around.
But we're too busy singing,
to put anybody down.

some people really hate bon jovi :shrug: i know i think it's laughable that anyone could consider them one of the best american bands. i also thought bon jovi was a guy, therefore not a band.

same as they really hate any other possible band in this thread.

CCR is up there. don't know how i forgot them.

there are great bands out there and like anything else i completely forget about them when it is time to answer a question...even if it's like Best Movie ever...it's an impossible task for me.

I put the E Streeters because I know their music backwards and forward and I dont think people [at leats people i know in person] appreciate the band ot even care for them...
I mean just listen to songs like Thunder Road as the band explodes to full glory..and Badlands....the list goes on

but yeah, if you want to get technical i guess theyre not exactly a band...they got ripped off into being inducted into Rock and Roll Hall of Fame cause they didnt get proper credit till the Live albums? hmmm.... and then you have albums in the middle of pure band rockabillies that is The River & Born in the USA that have No band... and then after that it;'s pretty much been Bruce solo to where he falls into the singer/songwriter category where he joins dylan, waits, etc....

so in terms of a "Real band" persay...I have to say the Doors, great music and lyrics..and everything else

I do feel ashamed of completely forgetting about REM though,
CCR, Eagles...well yeah i like them but I would stick them in with all the other 60/s/70s band that all started sounding the same [AT least to me, halt the flying tomatoes]

Eagles are boring

I'd say Velvet Underground, CCR, Pixies, Wilco... and of course:

SONIC YOUTH!

and hate me, I really don't like Bruce Springsteen, but I accept his influence to modern music

I'm not from the USA so my list may be different to others. The bands and solo singers who have achieved the greatest level of success in Australia according to my gut feelings are:

Velvet Underground
The Doors
Bob Dylan
Brooce
The Beach Boys
Neil Diamond
Elvis
Prince
Madonna
Roy Orbison
Michael Jackson
The Eagles

Out of those, and if we are only choosing bands, it would probably be the Beach Boys who are the most legendary.

Jack In The Box said:
Eagles are boring

I'd say Velvet Underground, CCR, Pixies, Wilco... and of course:

SONIC YOUTH!

and hate me, I really don't like Bruce Springsteen, but I accept his influence to modern music

Eagles are overall boring, I must agree..
and dont worry no one hates you for not liking Bruce, as for me I never cared for him assuming while I was young he was some patriotic redneck, since all i knew was his "born in the usa" era..

Pixies would defintiely make this list..at least in my book

I agree with Jack In The Box.

No mention of Smashing Pumpkins though?

#1: Queens Of The Stone Age

#2s: CCR, Doors, Nirvana, Metallica, J.Hendrix, Pearl Jam, Pixies, RHCP

Britain seems to have produced most of the legendary bands that get mentioned quite often (beatles, zep, stones ect...) but America dwarfs Britain when it comes to great solo artists.

The Beach boys get my vote anyway i think.

well obviously dylan, sinatra, cash, elvis are all out, because they're individuals, not bands.

i'm also throwing out all time great acts such as bruce springsteen & the e street band, tom petty & the heartbreakers prince and the revolution and the jimi hendrix experience... if the lead singer's name is in the name of your band, you're eliminated on the fact that, although the band includes great musicians who have become famous in their own right, when it all started you were really nothing more than the backing band for the main attraction... the guy with his name in lights. so they're out.

i would have included bon jovi on that list, but i'd rather wipe my ass with a pinecone than listen to them.

so that leaves us with CCR, The Doors, CSNY, The Beach Boys, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Velvet Underground, Metallica & Aerosmith.

Frankly? take your pick.

Cant believe nobody has mention....

The Byrds!!!!

NO Byrds no Rem

George Harrison wouldnt have bought that Rickenbacker 12 string

Dylan might never have gone electric

Come on...

Lets hear it for The Byrds

TheRooster said:
Best musically: Dismemberment Plan.

wow, never thought I'd see that here.

what a phenomenal band. too bad they didn't stick around longer.

another recent band I'd mention is Spoon, who have put out a nice run of albums.

OK, so it seems we are all in agreement that Jane's Addiction is the greatest American band of all time, followed very closely by the Pixies.

Thank you for participating! I will now publish my findings.

Back
Top Bottom