Best Albums of 2006?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HelloAngel

ONE love, blood, life
Hey everyone!

The Interference writing staff is putting together a hefty Best of 2006 article, and want you all to be part of it, of course!

Simply use this thread to discuss 5-10 (or whatever) of your favorite albums of the year. Say why you like them. And also, let us know if we can quote you in the article.

Thanks!!!

:heart:,
C

My top 5 (in no order):

Black Holes and Revelations by Muse
Mute Math by Mute Math
Stadium Arcadium by Red Hot Chili Peppers
Pearl Jam by Pearl Jam
First Impressions of Earth by The Strokes

and if you want best produced album of the year:
LOVE by The Beatles :drool:

thom yorke - the eraser
nelly furtado - loose
muse - black holes and revelations
albert hammond jnr. - ?

It was an underwhelming year for music. Stadium Arcadium, Muse's record, and Eraser are the only ones worth mentioning, imo.

The best album of the year was either
Director - We Thrive on Big Cities
or
Richard Ashcroft - Keys to the World
In my opinion

namkcuR said:
It was an underwhelming year for music. Stadium Arcadium, Muse's record, and Eraser are the only ones worth mentioning, imo.

i think youre missing out on a lot of good music if you think there are only 3 albums for the entire year worth talking about

Muse - Black Holes And Revelations :up::drool:
The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soliders :drool:
The Killers - Sam's Town
Arctic Mokneys - Whatever people Say I Am Thats What I'm Not (was this 2006?)
Bruce Springsteen - We Shall Overcome : The Seeger Sessions
Evermore - Real Life (I think its 2006 :lol:)
Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam
Eskimo Joe - Black Fingernails Red Wine
Jet - Shine On
Thom Yorke - The Eraser
Sarah Blasko - What The Sea Wants The Sea Will Have :up::up:
Snow Patrol - Eyes Open
Evanescence - The Open Door

Plus more releases of Bands that I'm not into....its been a pretty darn good year.

The Decemberists - The Crane Wife - This was a late arrival but it stands out. It might just be the best album of the year. Nice to have an indie band go to a major label and put out their best record. Original. Distinct. Intelligent. The best thing to come out of the Pacific Northwest in a long time.

The Raconteurs - Jack White, Brendan Benson and company. The next major rock band. Part Beatles, part Led Zeppelin. See them live. Brilliant.

Keane – Under The Iron Sea - These guys write beautiful songs and Tom Chaplin has the voice to deliver them. This album is darker than their debut but we’re all in a pretty dark place. Atlantic. “And if I need anything at all / I need a place that's hidden in the deep / Where lonely angels sing you to your sleep / Though all the world is broken” I hope they get back to the U.S. Stateside tour was cancelled when Chaplin checked into rehab. I’ve recently received a couple of concerts that were recorded for U.K. distribution only and they’re phenomenal.

Bob Dylan – Modern Times

RHCP – Stadium Arcadium

Last edited:
I don't get out much, so I can only think of 2:

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Stadium Arcadium
The Raconteurs - Broken Boy Soldier

(HelloAngel, feel free to quote anything in this post.)

I feel 2006 has not been a particularly sensational year in music, especially not after the postponement of Blackfield's second album to 2007. Orphaned Land's new album was also meant to be out this year but it looks almost certain now that it will be released in 2007 too. However, this year has produced two absolute gems:

Agalloch - Ashes Against The Grain
With their third offering, Agalloch prove that their first two albums weren't just flukes. These guys are the masters of the soundscape. They have an incredible ability to create beautiful, eerie, wintry landscapes in the listener's mind that are more vivid than those created by any other band I've heard. John Haughm is a great clean singer and his death growls are largely very comprehensible, and the band's atmospheric metal style is a rather original combination of death and black metal elements with folk music influences. Ashes Against The Grain is the third atmospheric masterpiece in a row and I can't wait to hear what Agalloch has for us in the future.

Pure Reason Revolution - The Dark Third
Without a doubt, this is the best album of the year. Pure Reason Revolution draw strong influences from Pink Floyd but also bring in abundant amounts of originality. Their male and female vocalists have gorgeous harmonies and float in and out of each other seamlessly. The soundscapes crafted by the music are ethereal and artistic, full of richness, warmth, and depth. It is hard to believe that this is the band's debut album, as they are clearly very accomplished, talented, and thoughtful musicians.

I am very eagerly looking forward to 2007. It looks set to be a great year for music, with releases from bands such as Blackfield, Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, Orphaned Land, Circus Maximus, hopefully Anathema, and if we're all very lucky, The Chills.

My Morning Jacket - Okonokos. Live LP, but so good that it can stand out as the best record of the year.

Decemberists - Crane Wife. I said it before - just listen to Crane Wife trilogy and it's enough to name it brilliant.

Clap Your Hands Say Yeah - self titled

Cat Power - The Greatest

Hard-Fi - CCTV

Yo La Tengo - i am not afraid of you and i will beat your ass

Hold Steady - Boys and Girls of America

Damien Rice - 9

Trentmoller - the last resort

Gnarls Barkley - St. Elswhere

Agoria - green armchair

nathan fake - drowning in a sea of love

tv on the radio - return to cookie mountain

Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings The Flood

to name a few...it was a good year....

I agree with many that it wasn't a spectacular year in terms of albums (no new records from U2, Radiohead, Modest Mouse, Arcade Fire, The Wrens..... and the Flaming Lips LP was average imo), but there were still plenty of good releases. Here are a few:

The Hold Steady...Boys and Girls in America---- The best classic rock album of the year this side of Bruce Springsteen!

Neko Case...Fox Confessor Brings the Flood---- Alt-country loveliness and her voice gives me shivers.

Silversun Pickups...Carnavas----- They've got a little Smashing Pumpkins thing going on. Sounds like 1992 again.

Snow Patrol...Eyes Open---- new anthems for old U2 fans....and the kids seem to love em, too.

Rock Plaza Central...Are We Not Horses?---- Reminiscent of Neutral Milk Hotel with it's strained vocals and use of brass. My latest purchase so it's fresh. Not sure about it's staying power.

There's a number of others, but I need to get back to work.

Queensryche - Operation Mindcrime II
Foo Fighters - Skin and Bones

Corrine Bailey Rae-Corrine Bailey Rae
How To Save A Life-The Fray
Eye To The Telescop-K.T. Tunstall
Back To Basics-Christina Aguilera
Daniel Powter-Daniel Powter

I'm loathe to say it was a weak year in music, because the ways in which we all hear, see and learn about new music greatly differs. :shrug: It's all relative to our perspectivies.

I learn about new music from KEXP and music blogs.

Pearl Jam -- Pearl Jam, or the Avocado.
simply them going back to their rock roots. Did you see Eddie Vedder beat the shit out of Bono during the Make Poverty History campaign concert in Melbourne? Great stuff.

Muse -- Black Hole and Revelations.
Sometimes, I think their music's a bit pompous. But this one isn't.

Arctic Monkeys -- Whatever...

I wish Radiohead had an album this year. So keeping my fingers crossed for next year.

Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam

It's the band at their most political, and arguably best. Worldwide Suicide gets my vote for most visceral song of the year.

Stadium Arcadium - Red Hot Chili Peppers

While some say this collection is bloated, there's something very special, unrefined, and organic that carries across these two CDs. Along with some trademark funk, there's also a warmth to many of the songs, like Hard to Concentrate and Snow (Hey Oh). It's certifiable proof that this is a band with true musical range.

Little Miss Sunshine soundtrack

Mychael Danna and DeVotchKa put together a collection that moves brilliantly in tandem with the movie of the same name.

The Eraser - Thom Yorke

Murky, desolate, and completely moving. The perfect soundtrack to a rainy day and a world gone mad. Harrowdown Hill is a beautifully haunting standout.

Loose - Nelly Furtado

Promiscuous just might be the most overplayed song of the year--but Loose is much more than bubble gum pop. In fact, that song is slightly misleading. There's a yearning at work here that sees Nelly striving for something else. The worldbeat rhythms of No Hay Igual make me want to light up a barbecue, kick a soccer ball around the yard, and invite the entire neighbourhood over for lunch.

Back
Top Bottom