Best album since ATYCLB. - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2002, 03:08 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:39 AM

omc i am loving this cd right now. the scientist is beautiful.

i can hardly wait to hear it on something besides my lameass laptop speakers.

___
i will have chris martin's babies

Old 08-27-2002, 03:44 PM   #32
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:39 PM

Wow- the album sounds amazing. I think I'm going to run out and buy it now!

Old 08-28-2002, 01:40 AM   #33
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Re: What A Fantastic Album!!!

I can't remember when I've liked an album so much on first listen. I especially like "God Put A Smile Upon Your Face," "Clocks" and "Warning Sign," but there's not a bad track on it.

Thanks for the heads up, everyone. This record is as good as its reviews--maybe even better!
Old 08-28-2002, 02:25 AM   #34
War Child

Local Time: 07:39 AM
Bought the album today after classes were let out...simply amazing. My favorite track has to be "Politik", following closely behind by "The Scientist"...this album is nothing short of brilliant.
Old 08-28-2002, 12:35 PM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie

GOD DAMN YOU PEOPLE AND YOUR FANTASTIC TASTE IN MUSIC!!!

I don't have any more money to spend on cds!!!!

Ah, well. Who needs money when there's great music to be heard?
Old 08-28-2002, 12:38 PM   #36
New Yorker

"clocks" and "daylight" are my current favorites. Excellent album. And chris marin has fabulous crazy eyes live...
Old 08-28-2002, 05:55 PM   #37
you are what you is

Local Time: 03:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer
they're a good band without much versatility
yes
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-29-2002, 03:22 PM   #38
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
yes
A well-considered argument if I ever read one.

Compare ANY band's FIRST TWO albums to Coldplay's first two, and I doubt one would still say that Coldplay is, relatively speaking, a one-trick pony.

There is at LEAST as much musical diversity in Coldplay's first two albums as there are in, say, Boy and October.

Again, I think the "U2 has more diverse music" argument is unfair: it's comparing a band that has released 10 studio albums across two decades (not to mention Passengers, M$H, HMTMKMKM, and other random singles) to a band that has released LESS THAN TWO HOURS of music.

Honestly, A Rush of Blood to the Head is a SURPRISING leap forward: when Coldplay could have done well to release Parachutes Redux, they have rather matured at an amazing rate.

Bubba
Old 08-29-2002, 06:46 PM   #39
you are what you is

rolleyes always scare me

Quote:
Originally posted by Achtung Bubba

A well-considered argument if I ever read one.
the arguement was in the quote
I tried to keep my post to the point
some people could try to do the same
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-29-2002, 08:46 PM   #40
Babyface

Local Time: 06:39 AM
Best album or second best?

Hey guys, I hate to be the one to break it to you but this is not the best album since ATYCLB. No my friends, that title has already been taken by a man that some of you may have heard of named Bruce Springsteen. His latest album "The Rising" is one of the most incredible albums I have ever heard, and really, let's keep this under the table, I think it's better than ATYCLB. The lyrical content is absolutely incredible but even moreso is the emotional content. This album has actually brought me to tears with songs like "Paradise" and "My City of Ruins," no other song or CD has ever made me cry. This is honestly the greatest album of the year. It was even the first five-star album of the year. If any of you doubt me, take a listen, read the lyrics, feel the music, and I garauntee you that you will be moved as I too was. DOn't get me wrong, I am not saying that Coldplay's album is bad, I have a great appreciaition for their music and consider myself a fan, but they just can't do what the Boss did. Besides, second place isn't too bad.
Old 08-29-2002, 11:40 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Re: Best album or second best?

Quote:
Originally posted by lyrictician
Hey guys, I hate to be the one to break it to you but this is not the best album since ATYCLB. No my friends, that title has already been taken by a man that some of you may have heard of named Bruce Springsteen.
I agree. The Rising is THE album of the year. But Rush of Blood to the Head is very good. I haven't listened to it enough yet to write a detailed review or give it any kind of grade/ranking, but my initial reaction is the first two tracks, Politik and In My Place, are simply addictive. None of the rest of the songs stand out particularly for me, at least not yet.
Old 08-30-2002, 12:27 AM   #42
Refugee

Re: rolleyes always scare me

Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
the arguement was in the quote
I tried to keep my post to the point
some people could try to do the same
And the point of posting a simple "yes" would be... what, exactly?

Anyway, I concede that the argument WAS in the previous post - but I addressed that argument a full DAY before you posted your succinct "yes":

Quote:
While the complaint of predictability may apply to Parachutes, I'm not sure it applies to A Rush of Blood.

Certainly, there are Coldplay's signature love songs - lush, gorgeous songs. But...

9/11/01 apparently impacted this album: while there is no song as overtly reactive to an event as "Sunday Bloody Sunday" or "Peace on Earth," you CAN hear the impact in "Politic."

There are teeth to some of the songs, "God Put a Smile Upon Your Face" and "A Whisper."

Then there are uplifting songs of invocation, like "Daylight," a song that deserves comparison to "Where the Streets Have No Name" and "Beautiful Day."

Then there's the haunting closer, "Amsterdam," which raises the spectre of suicide.

Certainly, this one album doesn't compare in variety to all of U2's songs, but that's comparing apples and oranges - or, rather, albums and catalogues. I believe this album stands up well when compared to any single U2 album.

Now, it seems, the shoe is on the other foot: 15 years ago, U2 fans began to assert that their band just might be occupy the same rarified heights as the Beatles, and Beatles fans scoffed - and still scoff - at the notion. Now, we are seeing the emergenceof a band that I believe may ascend to similar heights.

One hopes that U2 fans don't condemn this work as second rate without giving it a chance to prove itself.

Now, I'm off to buy an album.
I try to scan threads for opinions I agree with AND their objections. Some people could try to do THAT, too.

(And your complaint about the length of my posts is noted - as it has been noted before. Frankly, I don't care: I would much rather write a long post that gives a good argument for whatever I believe than reduce my posts to simplistic cliches.)

Bubba
Old 08-30-2002, 01:22 AM   #43
Refugee

Honestly, I don't if The Rising IS the album of the year, for a few reasons.

First, it may better represent the present time, but A Rush of Blood, I believe, TRANSCENDS it. I would compare the two to, say, Bon Jovi's Slippery When Wet and U2's The Joshua Tree. The former better defined the culture of 1987; the latter, a cultural anomaly, was simply the best album of the time.

(I'm not saying The Rising is as shallow as Slippery When Wet, just perhaps as stuck in the era it was made. It's kinda like comparing the typical 60's protest singers to Simon & Garfunkel, whose music sounds as relevant as now as it did 30 years ago.)

Second, for an album that so addresses 9/11, it's remarkably free of honest ANGER. It seems to treat 9/11 as JUST a tremendous tragedy, rather than an act of war.

The album seems to ignore the hijackers within the planes - and their intent to kill as many innocent civilians as possible.

The evidence of anger is scant, to say the least. Further, it seems like 9/11 should be treated as - what exactly? Water under the bridge?

House is on fire, vipers in the grass
Little revenge and this too shall pass

- Lonesome Day

'Neath Allah's blessed rain, we remain worlds apart
- Worlds Apart

I know we're different you and me
Get a different way of walkin'
The time has come te let the past be history
Yeah, if we could just start talkin'

- Let's Be Friends

Sure, Toby Keith's "Courtesy of the Red, White, and Blue" is as subtle as a brick to the skull. Sure, Sir Paul McCartney's "Freedom" isn't among his best work.

But at least they've given honest, angry reactions about what happened.

Compare Bruce to Sunday Bloody Sunday:

But I won't heed the battle call
It puts my back up
Puts my back up against the wall

And the battle's just begun
There's many lost, but tell me who has won
The trench is dug within our hearts
And mothers, children, brothers, sisters
Torn apart

There's grief, but also anger - anger that Bloody Sunday wasn't an act of God, but an act of man; anger that people died not by a calamity but because of terrorism.

Hell, look at A Rush of Blood to the Head. Bruce wasn't the only one affected by 9/11, and you can hear the effect it had on Coldplay as Chris Martin screams in Politic:

OPEN UP YOUR EYES.

Bubba
Old 08-30-2002, 05:00 AM   #44
you are what you is

Re: Re: rolleyes always scare me

Quote:
And your complaint about the length of my posts is noted - as it has been noted before. Frankly, I don't care
frankly Bubba, I don't care either (to put it mildly)

but since you felt the need to adress my post with rolleyes I thought I'd let you know that your posts also don't fill my heart with joy
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-30-2002, 08:53 AM   #45
Refugee

Clearly.

Bubba