Best album since ATYCLB. - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2002, 07:55 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:25 AM
I think I will defiintely be buying this album, based on the glowing reviews and the fact I love, love, love the song "In My Place."

Old 08-23-2002, 08:18 PM   #17
Kid A

I guess I'm in the minority on this one, but from my standpoint, it's merely a decent album and there are a number of other albums that have been released within the last year that are much better -- including the new Doves, Elbow, Electric Soft Parade and Gomez

it's a nice little album, but I still had to laugh at it being compared to the Joshua Tree

Old 08-23-2002, 08:22 PM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Roland of Gilead
Is it just me or is the summer of 2002 giving us some of the best albums ever?

Bowie's Heathen Chemistry - 4 Stars!!!

Actually, Bowie's album was just called "Heathen"...Oasis' new album was called "Heathen Chemistry", which was amazing as well...just thought I would note that.
Old 08-23-2002, 08:34 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:25 AM
Question

Since I did not like the song Yellow, do you think I will like or hate this new disk?

Feel free to talk amongst yourselves...
Old 08-23-2002, 08:36 PM   #20
War Child

Local Time: 08:25 AM
Re: Question

Quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Meringue
Since I did not like the song Yellow, do you think I will like or hate this new disk?

Feel free to talk amongst yourselves...
I liked it, but it was not the best song on Parachutes by far...there are a lot better...still, from what I've heard of this new one, its more uptempo, more diverse...I would download a few songs first (take your pick from the lists provided above by Achtung Bubba) to see if you'd like it.
Old 08-24-2002, 01:39 PM   #21
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm a moderate fan.. I appreciate them, haven't listened to Parachutes all that much though. I must say this new album seems quite phenomenal from what I've listened to (most of it).
Old 08-24-2002, 01:57 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

The Scientist is a wonderfully lovely tune.

A couple of the lines seem to be directly lifted from a Sheryl Crow song.

Still a hauntingly beautiful song. Best on the album, IMO.
Old 08-24-2002, 03:06 PM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:25 PM

I loved Parachutes, and personally i'll wait till the second single comes out and decide!
Old 08-24-2002, 03:11 PM   #24
The Original
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

No U2girl, don't wait. Trust me. You'll just be depriving yourself of great music. I think this one is much better than Parachutes.

I'm totally in love with clocks.
Old 08-25-2002, 09:56 PM   #25
Refugee

I love Parachutes, and I STILL think this album is better.

Parachutes is, to me, one of a handful of good "quiet" albums that appeared a few years back - the type of albums you listen to at 2 am, when you want to unwind or when you can't go to sleep.

(That short list also includes David Gray's White Ladder, Dido's No Angel, and Aimee Mann's Magnolia soundtrack. I recommend all three highly.)

But A Rush of Blood to the Head?

It's A REVELATION.

The Wanderer may laugh at the comparison, but I think this may be comparable to The Joshua Tree in at least one respect: after Joshua Tree, there was no doubt that U2 is among the world's greatest rock bands.

After A Rush of Blood, it's clear that Coldplay has entered the realm of greatness.

There are so many brilliant songs on this album: ANY one of them could be a single. ANY one of them would have made this album worth buying.

Bubba
Old 08-27-2002, 12:49 AM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

I have piqued my girlfriend's interest in Coldplay, she's gonna have a listen this sunday when she comes in. But wow, I must say this album is really good. I'm on my third time listening now, and it's much much better than I thought the first time. It's also very promising because Parachutes is still growing on me, 2 years later, and if this one does the same, then I may just have to elevate Coldplay to a new seat in my pantheon of musical greatness. The thing I like about Coldplay is that they can be classy and creative and artsy, but be completely accessible at the same time. Class band, and 2 great albums under their belt. Just hope they can hold it together.
Old 08-27-2002, 01:03 AM   #27
Kid A

well I won't go as far as Hot Press and call them "a bunch of bedwetters," because I do like their music, but I just can't call them a "great" band, they're a good band without much versatility, they write some beautiful ballads, but they don't exactly "rock" and their lyrics don't come close to grasping the different themes that Bono covers, so yes, I think comparing them to U2 is laughable
Old 08-27-2002, 07:41 AM   #28
War Child

Local Time: 01:25 AM
Oh boy, I missed this one and Bubba I am agreeing.
I liked Coldplay and loved songs like Shiver and Everything's Not Lost but found Parachutes a little too depressive.
However, this album im absolutely loving.
I MUCH prefer it to Parachutes, stand out tracks are Clocks, Politik, Amsterdam and Daylight for me.
WOW WOW WOW

I this album!!!!
Between listening to it and E Storm, ive been in musical heaven the past 3 days

Quote:
Bubba said:
ANY one of them could be a single. ANY one of them would have made this album worth buying.
Excellent.

Go buy this album people!!!!

Thank God for Rock
Old 08-27-2002, 08:08 AM   #29
Refugee

Local Time: 03:25 PM
I bought the album yesterday morning and have listened to it non stop since. I was expecting it to be great but it was beyond my expectations. Everyone with any doubts, buy it, Im sure you wont be disappointed.

I the scientist.
Old 08-27-2002, 10:02 AM   #30
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by The Wanderer
well I won't go as far as Hot Press and call them "a bunch of bedwetters," because I do like their music, but I just can't call them a "great" band, they're a good band without much versatility, they write some beautiful ballads, but they don't exactly "rock" and their lyrics don't come close to grasping the different themes that Bono covers, so yes, I think comparing them to U2 is laughable
While the complaint of predictability may apply to Parachutes, I'm not sure it applies to A Rush of Blood.

Certainly, there are Coldplay's signature love songs - lush, gorgeous songs. But...

9/11/01 apparently impacted this album: while there is no song as overtly reactive to an event as "Sunday Bloody Sunday" or "Peace on Earth," you CAN hear the impact in "Politic."

There are teeth to some of the songs, "God Put a Smile Upon Your Face" and "A Whisper."

Then there are uplifting songs of invocation, like "Daylight," a song that deserves comparison to "Where the Streets Have No Name" and "Beautiful Day."

Then there's the haunting closer, "Amsterdam," which raises the spectre of suicide.

Certainly, this one album doesn't compare in variety to all of U2's songs, but that's comparing apples and oranges - or, rather, albums and catalogues. I believe this album stands up well when compared to any single U2 album.

Now, it seems, the shoe is on the other foot: 15 years ago, U2 fans began to assert that their band just might be occupy the same rarified heights as the Beatles, and Beatles fans scoffed - and still scoff - at the notion. Now, we are seeing the emergenceof a band that I believe may ascend to similar heights.

One hopes that U2 fans don't condemn this work as second rate without giving it a chance to prove itself.

Now, I'm off to buy an album.