Best album of the 60's (since this is the only other decade that matters)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
Go.

If you guess incorrectly, you will be beaten to a pulp and will be compared unfavorably to classic albums of the day.

1_multipart_xF8FF_3_CT%20-%20Abbey%20Road%202.jpg

Of those, I do love Sgt. Peppers, and there are some tunes on the other two that I really love, but none are a favorite of mine. :)

I'll save the punishment I proposed for whoever names Tommy. :wink:

Screwtape2 said:
:shrug: I like Abbey Road but that second side is just terrible. I have a hard time believing that an album with a second half as bad as Abbey Road could be the best album of that decade. Revolver, Help and Sgt Peppers are better than it.

You must be joking. :wink: What makes Abbey Road a classic is the second side. The first is mostly just the Beatles treading water while getting a few really good ones in here and there (Something, Oh! Darling) and then BAM the second side comes in kicking ass:

Here Comes The Sun
Because
You Never Give Me Your Money

And then the rest of the medley, which shows that Beatles scraps are good enough to make up one of rock's greatest statements. Mean Mr Mustard--->SCITTBR is just about as good as anything they did before, and Golden Slumbers--->The End is a classic. Everyone knows that. :shrug:

Screwtape2 said:
:shrug: I like Abbey Road but that second side is just terrible. I have a hard time believing that an album with a second half as bad as Abbey Road could be the best album of that decade. Revolver, Help and Sgt Peppers are better than it.

lay off the prog rock.

LemonMelon said:

You must be joking. :wink: What makes Abbey Road a classic is the second side. The first is mostly just the Beatles treading water while getting a few really good ones in here and there (Something, Oh! Darling) and then BAM the second side comes in kicking ass:

Here Comes The Sun
Because
You Never Give Me Your Money

And then the rest of the medley, which shows that Beatles scraps are good enough to make up one of rock's greatest statements. Mean Mr Mustard--->SCITTBR is just about as good as anything they did before, and Golden Slumbers--->The End is a classic. Everyone knows that. :shrug:

I'm being quite serious. The second side is so boring. I mean it's a failed attempt at patching together songs that have no purpose being on an album. I will agree though that The End is a classic. The first side is one of the best of the decade. I understand what the band was trying to do with the second side but the material just wasn't strong enough for that to work. It has nothing on the first side.

Screwtape2 said:

I'm being quite serious. The second side is so boring. I mean it's a failed attempt at patching together songs that have no purpose being on an album. I will agree though that The End is a classic. The first side is one of the best of the decade. I understand what the band was trying to do with the second side but the material just wasn't strong enough for that to work. It has nothing on the first side.

Come Together - Decent, at least it's original
Something - Awesome.
Maxwell's Silver Hammer - McCartney has done this same sound before, but never quite this well (still, it's not original)
Oh! Darling - Nice sendup. I :heart: it.
Octopus's Garden - Yellow Submarine ripoff, but at least it's better than what it copies.
I Want You (She's So Heavy) - Interesting, but goes on for far too long.

About a B+ in my eyes.

And then there's the second side. :drool: A+++++++++++++

LemonMelon said:

Come Together - Decent, at least it's original
Something - Awesome.
Maxwell's Silver Hammer - McCartney has done this same sound before, but never quite this well (still, it's not original)
Oh! Darling - Nice sendup. I :heart: it.
Octopus's Garden - Yellow Submarine ripoff, but at least it's better than what it copies.
I Want You (She's So Heavy) - Interesting, but goes on for far too long.

About a B+ in my eyes.

It's funny that you say that Maxwell's Silver Hammer isn't original because most of the second side sounds like cliche Beatles. I agree with what you've said about the first side with the exception of I Want You (She's So Heavy). I love how it last forever which gives it a kind of jam quality. It is by far the most creative Beatles song. That alone elevates the first side to an A.

Screwtape2 said:

It's funny that you say that Maxwell's Silver Hammer isn't original because most of the second side sounds like cliche Beatles. I agree with what you've said about the first side with the exception of I Want You (She's So Heavy). I love how it last forever which gives it a kind of jam quality. It is by far the most creative Beatles song. That alone elevates the first side to an A.

Sun King sounds nothing like the Beatles did before that, Mean Mr. Mustard is ridiculously heavy (one of McCartney's best bass riffs ever), SCITTBW is a great showcase for Harrison's new twangy guitar tone, which gives the track a swaying, country feel (definitely different for them) and Carry That Weight sounds like some sort of chant sung by soccer hooligans. :huh: The rest, yeah, I could see how you could say it was a bit cliched.

However, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Abbey Road side B sounds like cliched Beatles because, guess what, it was so good and was so beloved that it defined the band's sound from then on. The Beatles weren't ripping themselves off necessarily on that second side, they were defining themselves by mixing and matching older sounds with newer, tighter arrangements, instrumental talent, and production. That is exactly why Abbey Road is the Beatles tour de force.

What's next, are you going to say that The End sounds like Oasis? :wink:

I think the Beatles defined their sound on Sgt. Peppers. After Magical Mystery Tour it seems like they tried to recapture that sound. The second side of Abbey Road is the failed result of that. Paul and John's writing on the second side is poor at best.

I would take The Piper at the Gates of Dawn anyday over Sgt. Peppers. GIve me Zappa over Sgt. Peppers.
Sgt. Peppers is vastly overrated.
Yes, technically brilliant and pushed studio work much further into the future. But, IMO, lots of mediocre songs that only sounded good because of George Martin. I find Magical Mystery Tour, Revolver and Abbey Road much more interesting.

Gotta throw in Hwy. 61 Revisited, Pet Sounds, Bitches Brew (think that was in ´69).

elevated_u2_fan said:
wow... I've heard about people who don't like Abbey Road side b but I always thought it was an urban myth... :wink:

:lmao:

My pick is Revolver, by the way.

Abbey Road is THE correct answer.

LemonMelon has redeemed himself from his horrible failing in the 70's thread.

It's got to be Abbey Road, but Blonde On Blonde is right behind it.

PET SOUNDS.

Second: Love - Forever Changes.

I disagree with the thread's title too, generally music was way more interesting before the 60s, or at least the 70s.

The Sad Punk said:

I disagree with the thread's title too, generally music was way more interesting before the 60s, or at least the 70s.

But popular music most certainly was not.

Back
Top Bottom