Best album of the 60's (since this is the only other decade that matters)? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-22-2007, 01:31 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Local Time: 07:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

You must be joking. What makes Abbey Road a classic is the second side. The first is mostly just the Beatles treading water while getting a few really good ones in here and there (Something, Oh! Darling) and then BAM the second side comes in kicking ass:

Here Comes The Sun
Because
You Never Give Me Your Money

And then the rest of the medley, which shows that Beatles scraps are good enough to make up one of rock's greatest statements. Mean Mr Mustard--->SCITTBR is just about as good as anything they did before, and Golden Slumbers--->The End is a classic. Everyone knows that.
I'm being quite serious. The second side is so boring. I mean it's a failed attempt at patching together songs that have no purpose being on an album. I will agree though that The End is a classic. The first side is one of the best of the decade. I understand what the band was trying to do with the second side but the material just wasn't strong enough for that to work. It has nothing on the first side.

Old 05-22-2007, 01:33 PM   #17
Blue Crack Supplier

wow... I've heard about people who don't like Abbey Road side b but I always thought it was an urban myth...

Old 05-22-2007, 01:35 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1

lay off the prog rock.
Thanks for adding so much to the thread!
Old 05-22-2007, 01:38 PM   #19
The Male

Local Time: 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

I'm being quite serious. The second side is so boring. I mean it's a failed attempt at patching together songs that have no purpose being on an album. I will agree though that The End is a classic. The first side is one of the best of the decade. I understand what the band was trying to do with the second side but the material just wasn't strong enough for that to work. It has nothing on the first side.
Come Together - Decent, at least it's original
Something - Awesome.
Maxwell's Silver Hammer - McCartney has done this same sound before, but never quite this well (still, it's not original)
Oh! Darling - Nice sendup. I it.
Octopus's Garden - Yellow Submarine ripoff, but at least it's better than what it copies.
I Want You (She's So Heavy) - Interesting, but goes on for far too long.

About a B+ in my eyes.

And then there's the second side. A+++++++++++++
Old 05-22-2007, 01:45 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by LemonMelon

Come Together - Decent, at least it's original
Something - Awesome.
Maxwell's Silver Hammer - McCartney has done this same sound before, but never quite this well (still, it's not original)
Oh! Darling - Nice sendup. I it.
Octopus's Garden - Yellow Submarine ripoff, but at least it's better than what it copies.
I Want You (She's So Heavy) - Interesting, but goes on for far too long.

About a B+ in my eyes.
It's funny that you say that Maxwell's Silver Hammer isn't original because most of the second side sounds like cliche Beatles. I agree with what you've said about the first side with the exception of I Want You (She's So Heavy). I love how it last forever which gives it a kind of jam quality. It is by far the most creative Beatles song. That alone elevates the first side to an A.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:55 PM   #21
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by Screwtape2

It's funny that you say that Maxwell's Silver Hammer isn't original because most of the second side sounds like cliche Beatles. I agree with what you've said about the first side with the exception of I Want You (She's So Heavy). I love how it last forever which gives it a kind of jam quality. It is by far the most creative Beatles song. That alone elevates the first side to an A.
Sun King sounds nothing like the Beatles did before that, Mean Mr. Mustard is ridiculously heavy (one of McCartney's best bass riffs ever), SCITTBW is a great showcase for Harrison's new twangy guitar tone, which gives the track a swaying, country feel (definitely different for them) and Carry That Weight sounds like some sort of chant sung by soccer hooligans. The rest, yeah, I could see how you could say it was a bit cliched.

However, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Abbey Road side B sounds like cliched Beatles because, guess what, it was so good and was so beloved that it defined the band's sound from then on. The Beatles weren't ripping themselves off necessarily on that second side, they were defining themselves by mixing and matching older sounds with newer, tighter arrangements, instrumental talent, and production. That is exactly why Abbey Road is the Beatles tour de force.

What's next, are you going to say that The End sounds like Oasis?
Old 05-22-2007, 02:10 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

I think the Beatles defined their sound on Sgt. Peppers. After Magical Mystery Tour it seems like they tried to recapture that sound. The second side of Abbey Road is the failed result of that. Paul and John's writing on the second side is poor at best.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:20 PM   #23
The Fly

Local Time: 09:25 PM
I would take The Piper at the Gates of Dawn anyday over Sgt. Peppers. GIve me Zappa over Sgt. Peppers.
Sgt. Peppers is vastly overrated.
Yes, technically brilliant and pushed studio work much further into the future. But, IMO, lots of mediocre songs that only sounded good because of George Martin. I find Magical Mystery Tour, Revolver and Abbey Road much more interesting.

Gotta throw in Hwy. 61 Revisited, Pet Sounds, Bitches Brew (think that was in ´69).
Old 05-22-2007, 02:22 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by elevated_u2_fan
wow... I've heard about people who don't like Abbey Road side b but I always thought it was an urban myth...

My pick is Revolver, by the way.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:07 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:25 PM
Abbey Road is THE correct answer.

LemonMelon has redeemed himself from his horrible failing in the 70's thread.
Old 05-22-2007, 03:13 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:25 PM
It's got to be Abbey Road, but Blonde On Blonde is right behind it.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:18 PM   #27
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:25 AM
Gotta be something by the Beatles! I'll go with...

Old 05-22-2007, 07:29 PM   #28
Refugee

I would agree with Abbey Road, although The Doors I is a contender, and Beggar's Banquet grows on me with each listen.
Old 05-22-2007, 09:44 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:55 AM
PET SOUNDS.

Second: Love - Forever Changes.

I disagree with the thread's title too, generally music was way more interesting before the 60s, or at least the 70s.
Old 05-22-2007, 10:10 PM   #30
The Male

Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk

I disagree with the thread's title too, generally music was way more interesting before the 60s, or at least the 70s.
But popular music most certainly was not.