Best 90's North American middle-of-the-road/post-grunge band - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2007, 03:18 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 05:34 PM
Best 90's North American middle-of-the-road/post-grunge band

One of the sweetst genres of music out there....endlessly and immensely enjoyable.

Here's a few for your consideration:

Gin Blossoms
Better Than Ezra
Collective Soul
Toad The Wet Sprocket
Tonic
Counting Crows
The Rembrandts
Dishwalla
Everclear
Fuel
Goo Goo Dolls
The Refreshments
Crash test Dummies
The Verve Pipe
The Wallflowers
Vertical Horizon

Most of these acts would've only had about one proper hit and most of 'em are pretty much forgotten. Worth reminsicing though.

Who was the greatest?

For me, it's gotta be "Gin Mill, Rain Fall, What do you remember if at all?"

The legendary Gin Blossoms

Old 06-18-2007, 03:35 AM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 07:34 AM
"Cupid don't draw back your bow//
Sam Cooke didn't know what I know"

know that one?

Old 06-18-2007, 04:43 AM   #3
Acrobat

Local Time: 02:34 AM
Everclear had a couple good albums
Old 06-18-2007, 05:08 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by dr. zooeuss
"Cupid don't draw back your bow//
Sam Cooke didn't know what I know"

know that one?
I'll probably know it when I hear it. I'll check it out.
Old 06-18-2007, 05:53 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Third Eye Blind.

Their eponymous debut was, although nothing groundbreaking, very solid and quite enjoyable all the way through, with the hits 'Semi-Charmed Life', 'How's It Gonna Be', and 'Jumper', and album tracks like 'Narcolepsy', 'London, 'Motorcycle Drive By', and what I thin is the best song on the record, 'The Background'. Easily their best record.

Their sophmore effort 'Blue' was about half 'pretty enjoyable' and half filler. 'Deep Inside Of You, 'Slow Motion', 'Wounded', 'Never Let You Go', 'Red Summer Sun', and 'Ode To Maybe' are standouts.

Their third effort, 'Out Of The Vein', fell flat save a for a very small handful of songs. Their original lead guitarist, Kevin Cadogen, was a big part of their sound on the first two records and he was out of the band by the this record, and it took the band down several notches imo.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:14 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

The problem with nearly all of those bands you listed is that they all sounded pretty much the same. Middle-of-the-road for me means mediocre. They never set themselves apart from all those other mid 90s bands enough to have any staying power. A handful of good songs to hear on the radio once in awhile or to dig out of the back of the closet for nostalgia's sake, but nothing that's going to be really memorable. Some of them may still be around, but they're playing at amusement parks and fairs and things like that.

Everclear's first few albums were pretty good (Sparkle and Fade was one of my favorite early teenage albums), but then they got popular and self-destructed, and now the only original member still in the band is Art Alexakis.

Counting Crows remain commercially successful to some degree, but they've mellowed out a bit too much for me. I think Adam Duritz is a good songwriter, but musically they've fizzled a bit. Who knows. They've got a new album coming out that I might check out.

After the Refreshments broke up, Roger Clyne went on to form Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers, and he's doing pretty well for himself on a smaller scale, writing the kind of songs he wants to and touring quite a bit.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:22 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Love the Wallflowers and Toad. Counting Crows of course, and Everclear pre-Slow Motion Daydream. Other than that, I like a few songs here and there.

Third Eye Blind has had some stellar moments, too.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:27 PM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 07:34 AM
stp ftw

but compared to that list, they are a bit more on the "rocking" end

out of the choices, i say everclear, art alexakis is pretty handy at writing a catchy pop hook and they had a string of good radio jams between 1994 and 2000
Old 06-18-2007, 06:41 PM   #9
Refugee

At one point, "Bringing Down the Horse" was one of my favorite albums- and then I realized that Jakob Dylan was a terrible lyricist. Several of the bands listed above made some great songs; hearing them takes me back to a very specific time in my life.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #10
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:34 AM
Some of the most boring, forgetable songs were written by those bands.

Better Than Ezra wrote a few good songs and Toad was great, the rest of list will never make it to my iPod even I was throwing a nostalgic 90's themed party where we all dressed up as members of 90210.
Old 06-18-2007, 06:54 PM   #11
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BonoIsMyMuse
The problem with nearly all of those bands you listed is that they all sounded pretty much the same. Middle-of-the-road for me means mediocre. They never set themselves apart from all those other mid 90s bands enough to have any staying power. A handful of good songs to hear on the radio once in awhile or to dig out of the back of the closet for nostalgia's sake, but nothing that's going to be really memorable. Some of them may still be around, but they're playing at amusement parks and fairs and things like that.

Once you've heard one, you've heard 'em all.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:14 PM   #12
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:34 AM
Re: Best 90's North American middle-of-the-road/post-grunge band

Gin Blossoms - found out about you, follow you down
Better Than Ezra - Good? I'm not even sure
Collective Soul - I like that blue album to an extent.
Toad The Wet Sprocket - All I Want, awesome song! walk on the ocean, fall down.
Tonic - Future Says Run? That's all I know.
Counting Crows - mr. jones, round here, long december...
The Rembrandts - friends song? catchy. lol
Goo Goo Dolls - name, long way down (twister OST), iris, slide, here is gone... I know more here!
Crash test Dummies - mmmmmmmmmmmmm
The Wallflowers - one headlight

The Goo Goo Dolls are probably my favorite from that list just cos I know and like more songs of theirs compared to the others. But I'm not crazy about them either.

I'd like to echo bollox and say STP was my overall favorite. Although, I considered them grunge with Core and Purple, the only albums I have.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:43 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 11:34 PM
The Gin Blossoms "New Miserable Experience" is a great album. Anyone in this thread writing them off as forgettable needs to go check this album out.

For me, Toad the Wet Sprocket is the mediocre band with two or three songs I really love. I never thought they were as good as a lot of other people made them out to be.

I also really love the Goo Goo Dolls "A Boy Named Goo." Another album chock full of really good songs, most thankfully less ubiquitous and mellow than "Name."

I can handle Counting Crows in small doses, and they have two or three songs I really love, but man, does Adam Duritz have one of the most annoying voices ever, or what?

I never liked Stone Temple Pilots, but I think they should be excluded from this thread as the thread title implies POST-grunge.

I didn't know anything by the Refreshments until a friend played me "Banditos," a song I still love to this day. They also did the theme song for the TV show "King of the Hill," which I think is pretty funny.

And what -- no Hootie?

: ducks to avoid thrown tomatoes :
Old 06-18-2007, 07:48 PM   #14
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
And what -- no Hootie?

nothing I can dooooooooo............... I only wanna be with youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
Old 06-18-2007, 08:13 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by corianderstem
The Gin Blossoms "New Miserable Experience" is a great album. Anyone in this thread writing them off as forgettable needs to go check this album out.

For me, Toad the Wet Sprocket is the mediocre band with two or three songs I really love. I never thought they were as good as a lot of other people made them out to be.

I also really love the Goo Goo Dolls "A Boy Named Goo." Another album chock full of really good songs, most thankfully less ubiquitous and mellow than "Name."

I can handle Counting Crows in small doses, and they have two or three songs I really love, but man, does Adam Duritz have one of the most annoying voices ever, or what?

I never liked Stone Temple Pilots, but I think they should be excluded from this thread as the thread title implies POST-grunge.

I didn't know anything by the Refreshments until a friend played me "Banditos," a song I still love to this day. They also did the theme song for the TV show "King of the Hill," which I think is pretty funny.

And what -- no Hootie?

New Miserable Experience is indeed timeless, and I can't believe I left out Hootie and STP.

Gin Blossoms released a new album last year entitled Major Lodge Victory. The first single from that release, Learning The Hard Way, is a cracker.