Best 80's Pop band?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Either The Cars or Depeche Mode, if we're focusing on (whatever we're calling) pop singles. Erasure didn't have a bad decade, either.

Depeche Mode = rock? :der:

then what are all the other 80s bands? :scratch:

I think I need clarification. Is U2 80s rock? pop? :scratch:

glad to see there's only one valid argument here :huh:

depeche mode's sound in the 80s i think was more techno pop than rock. i wouldn't consider them a rock band until the 90s.

as far as just 80s pop bands go, i'd say duran duran. they personified the 80s, or at least the first half of the decade.

Duran Duran were HUGE in the early 80s. I worked at a record store and remember all the girls would go crazy. Would Madonna be "pop" or "dance"? She was pretty popular too. Depeche Mode were pretty popular as well, but definitely weren't considered rock. All the (L.A. Radio Station) KROQ bands of the day were what sold. Where do these artists/bands fit in?

Elvis Costello
Squeeze
Simple Minds
The Cure
Echo & The Bunnymen
XTC
Thompson Twins
Human League
The Jam
Siouxsie & The Banshees
Culture Club
Devo
Eurythmics
Tears For Fears

Duran Duran...although it's strange that they outlasted the 80's by a long shot, even in their current form.

Duran Duran ruled the 80s, pop wise.

Even though they split up the full band after Live Aid in '85 and carried forward as a smaller band with far fewer hits, they still ruled the 80s, pop wise.

:ohmy: What about Journey ?? :up: (doesn't anyone here remember them ??)

Steve Perry and Co. were indeed HUGE back in the 80's ... especially 1981, as the Escape tour was incredibly successful. :bow:

I think that was the tour I saw them on. Lost interest at Frontiers I believe, you know the one where they came out with the video arcade game :der:

where does R.E.M. fit into this scheme :hmm:

Lila64 said:
I think that was the tour I saw them on. Lost interest at Frontiers I believe, you know the one where they came out with the video arcade game :der:

where does R.E.M. fit into this scheme :hmm:

Alternative Rock.

IMO, of course.

MsMofoGone said:
:ohmy: What about Journey ?? :up: (doesn't anyone here remember them ??)

I think of them as rock. When someone says "80s pop band" to me, I think hairdos, cool videos and synths. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom