Beowulf: The Board Game

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UnforgettableLemon

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
My English project(in groups, blah) is to design a board game based on the epic poem, Beowulf. Right now, I'm designing character cards, and then I'm gonna work on event cards. The game can be played as one of four characters.

Beowulf- Objectives are to reach Herot, defeat Grendel, defeat Grendel's mother, and defeat the dragon. He is much stronger than Unferth, and that's why he has more obstacles. The game is over after the battle with the dragon, and Beowulf wins.

Grendel- Objectives are to raid Herot and devour a minimum of victims, without being defeated by the soldiers and eventually Beowulf when he arrives. If he defeats Beowulf, the games is over, and Grendel wins.

Unferth- Objectives are to defeat Grendel before Beowulf, or to break his confidence in a "Battle of boasting". If he defeats Grendel before Beowulf, the game is over.

**Welthow- I'd like to use her, to add the appeal to women, but I can't figure out a quest.

Anyway, I think my ideas might be too complex for a one-week project, but if anyone wants to see the cards I've designed so far, tell me and I'll post them.

------------------
If I had a head like yours I'd bleedin' bury it.

This is.. uh... we don't play this tune... gonna be f*cked up!

I had to do a project on that poem in high scool too!

I made an amusement park out of popsicle sticks and pipe cleaners...it was called Grendelville. It took me almost 14 hours to make. It had a ferris wheel, a water slide, a t-shirt stand...it was so cool!

------------------
"I Can Lose Myself, You I Can't Live Without"

UnforgettableLemon~

Post the pics of your cards!

I just found the pics of my project, so I'll post those!

gren1.jpg

gren2.jpg

The ferris wheel was the hardest to make. I made it once, and them my cat knocked it down while the glue was drying and wrecked the whole thing. I was so pissed.
mad.gif
*lol*

Now...post your cards, UL!
smile.gif

------------------
"I Can Lose Myself, You I Can't Live Without"

[This message has been edited by Bonochick (edited 08-30-2001).]

I'll post them as soon as I finish Wiglaf and Welthow, or Weahltheow(our translation uses the former, THANK GOD).

------------------

[This message has been edited by UnforgettableLemon (edited 08-30-2001).]

I can't upload them to my server, so they're on Geocities now. Here is the link, since I can't post them from Geocities.
http://www.geocities.com/mysteriouslemonguy/beowulf

------------------

[This message has been edited by UnforgettableLemon (edited 08-30-2001).]

Originally posted by Bonochick:

I made an amusement park out of popsicle sticks and pipe cleaners...it was called Grendelville. It took me almost 14 hours to make. It had a ferris wheel, a water slide, a t-shirt stand...it was so cool!

As someone who majored in English, "Grendelville" makes me turn pale with shock. Actually it's pretty funny.
biggrin.gif
The things teachers come up with to make great works of literature relevant...

------------------
You say I'm a fool
You say I'm nothing
But if I'm a fool for you
Oh, that's something

The rest of the group thought my ideas were too complex, so now Grendel isn't playable, and all the characters have the same goal. The winner is the one with the most "treasure" when Grendel, his mother, and the dragon has been defeated. They must be defeated in the sequence of the story, but you can explore other areas looking for treasure, and if two characters are on the same space, they can have a "boasting challenge" and gain treasure from that. Anyway, each monster also gives you a treasure bonus. Still, I'm having fun designing cards.

------------------

i'm going to be reading this in english. i think we start next week. i kind of know the story line, because i read eaters of the dead which is loosely based on beowulf. your project sounds cute.

------------------
Brought to you by the OTHER "creamy coated pop icon goddess."

Love,
Emily

Back
Top Bottom