Ben Hollioake Killed In Car Crash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brettig

New Yorker
Test cricketer dead in car accident
AAP
23mar02

AUSTRALIAN-born English Test cricketer Benjamin Hollioake died in a Perth car accident that was witnessed by relatives, police said.

Perth police said 24-year-old Hollioake died when his Porsche 924 sports car slammed into a brick wall in South Perth about 12.20am (WST) today.

His 22-year-old female passenger suffered head and chest injuries and was in a critical condition at Royal Perth Hospital, a hospital spokeswoman said.

Relatives travelling in a separate vehicle were first on the scene after witnessing the crash that claimed Hollioake's life, police said.

Police would not confirm who the relatives were.

However, Hollioake's older brother Adam, also an English Test cricketer, was believed to have been in Perth at the time, AFP reported.

The brothers were believed to have been in Perth visiting their parents John and Daria after playing for England in one-day matches in New Zealand.

News of Hollioake's death was relayed to the English team as it began play on the third day of the second cricket Test with New Zealand in Wellington, AP reported.

Perth Police Operations Inspector Ian Duggan told AAP there was no indication speed or alcohol contributed to the accident near the Mill Point offramp of the Kwinana Freeway.

"The vehicle spun out of control into a brick property fence," Insp Duggan said.

It was not clear if Hollioake died at the scene, he said.

The Melbourne-born all-rounder played two Test matches and 20 one-day internationals for England between 1997 and 2002.

Hollioake also played with Surrey in England and was the 1997 Young Cricketer of the Year.

"This is devastating news," Surrey County Cricket Club chief executive Paul Sheldon told AP today.

"It is terrible to lose a supreme talent as he was beginning to realise his full potential as a cricketer."

Really really sad news...

000423.jpg

When news of the tragedy at the 1972 Munich Olympics broke, Jim McKay, then of ABC Sports, read this poem on TV:

To An Athlete Dying Young

The time you won your town the race
We chaired you through the market-place;
Man and boy stood cheering by,
And home we brought you shoulder-high.
To-day, the road all runners come,
Shoulder-high we bring you home,
And set you at your threshold down,
Townsman of a stiller town.
Smart lad, to slip betimes away
From fields where glory does not stay,
And early though the laurel grows
It withers quicker than the rose.
Eyes the shady night has shut
Cannot see the record cut,
And silence sounds no worse than cheers
After earth has stopped the ears:
Now you will not swell the rout
Of lads that wore their honours out,
Runners whom renown outran
And the name died before the man.
So set, before its echoes fade,
The fleet foot on the sill of shade,
And hold to the low lintel up
The still-defended challenge-cup.
And round that early-laurelled head
Will flock to gaze the strengthless dead,
And find unwithered on its curls
The garland briefer than a girl's.

[This message has been edited by Clark W. Griswold, Jr (edited 03-22-2002).]

sorry to hear this, it reminds me of a decade earlier when my favorite basketball player, Drazen Petrovic, died in a car crash in Germany (it was raining and he wasnt driving), yes, that's the guy Goran Ivanisevic dedicated his Wimbledon victory to

it's weird, you always feel like you "know" the person when these things happen, it's like losing a dear friend

The sad thing about this guy is that he was just starting to capitalise on his potential...at age 19 he had some pretty crazy expectations placed on him by English cricket, hed just started making his mark after a few years maturing when he crashed...
frown.gif

My thoughts go out to him, his family, friends and team mates.

Rest In Peace...

------------------
"we're free to fly the crimson sky...the sun won't melt our wings tonight..."

very sad indeed. it sounds much too eerily similar to the passing of pele lindbergh. babygrace and wanderer i'm sure would remember that.

I wasn't alive Koba but I've always wished I could've seen Lindbergh play, what I've read about him is just amazing. That was truly a heart-breaking tragedy, they all are.

------------------
You make yourself vulnerable to change in your life. But in the end, you've got to become the change you want to see in the world.
-the B-man

I'm sorry to hear about this, *******. So many are lost this way and it's such a waste..
frown.gif

------------------
You make yourself vulnerable to change in your life. But in the end, you've got to become the change you want to see in the world.
-the B-man

Back
Top Bottom