Before Sunrise and Before Sunset - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2005, 03:01 PM   #16
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 07:57 PM
for beegee

PS - Can a mod move this to Zoo Station? Thanks.

Old 07-18-2005, 03:45 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:57 AM
i like the first one, know many of the places..

the second one is kinda sad because its so real

Old 07-18-2005, 08:21 PM   #18
Neon Zebra

Local Time: 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel
for beegee
omg april, YOU RULE!!

(that was seriously the sweetest thing ever.)

i posted this in april's journal, but i really wondered what everyone else thought about it.

first of all, let me make it clear that these two films are my most favorite films ever and i love them more than i can even put into words.

ok, so all the wonderful women that i know, who watch these films and fall in love with the story of jesse and celine, they all want him to stay in paris with her - they want him to miss his flight.

but he's married, and he has a family.

so my question is about this kind of behavior - her seducing him (and that's exactly what she's doing when she starts dancing like that and she knows it) even though she knows he's married, and him obviously considering spending the night with her - why is this kind of behavior so romantic in the film and yet so shocking and horrible in real life?

i have a co-worker who dicovered last year that her husband was cheating on her. she would come to work everyday for months and spend all day crying in the staff lounge. last month she watched both films and fell completely in love with them. she stood right in front of me and told me how she just KNOWS that jesse missed that plane. she even closed her eyes and put her hand over her heart like she was just overwhelmed by how romantic the mere thought of it was. then i pointed out the fact that he was married, and was about to cheat on his wife.

she kind of blinked at me and hasn't really liked me much since.

now, i'm not saying i wasn't all overcome with the idea of him missing his flight myself, and some of you who know me very well also know that i am no innocent when it comes to my own romantic history. but, if i told you all that i spent the night with someone who was madly in love with me, even though he had a wife at home, would you all swoon and call it romantic?

and what i want to know is...why? or why not?

i would really love to hear some ideas about this.
Old 07-18-2005, 11:21 PM   #19
Refugee

I loved these two films. One time I watched Before Sunset two times in a row with a girlfriend.

It did cross my mind that Jesse was married with a little boy. He said that he was not happy in his marriage but stayed only because he could not live w/o his son.

I want to see a part three!
Old 07-19-2005, 02:37 AM   #20
Acrobat

Local Time: 01:57 AM
I loved both films
Ethan Hawke was great, Julie Delpy too...I know the whole story is based on conversation but the things they talk about are interesting
Old 07-19-2005, 05:05 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Great set of movies.. and the location of both is (Paris and Vienna).

I also need a third one. Would it be 'Before Midnight'? 'Before Breakfast'?

Old 07-19-2005, 07:20 AM   #22
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by bonosgirl84

omg april, YOU RULE!!

(that was seriously the sweetest thing ever.)

I think you bring up an excellent point, how stuff like this is so romantic in the movies, but if we knew someone who did this in real life the general concensus would be to look down on them. I find the story of your co-worker especially interesting.

While I love to think that he stayed and they lived happily ever after, I also know that because it's a movie and we don't get to see the after effect of that (him staying and all the fun that follws - i.e, telling his wife, etc.) that makes it all the more romantic, keeping it as the fantasy and not seeing the fallout. I guess because we see the fallout so much in real life that's what makes it lose it's luster as opposed to when we watch the movie.

Does that make sense at all?
Old 07-19-2005, 08:27 AM   #23
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryMullen's_POPAngel

I think you bring up an excellent point, how stuff like this is so romantic in the movies, but if we knew someone who did this in real life the general concensus would be to look down on them. I find the story of your co-worker especially interesting.

While I love to think that he stayed and they lived happily ever after, I also know that because it's a movie and we don't get to see the after effect of that (him staying and all the fun that follws - i.e, telling his wife, etc.) that makes it all the more romantic, keeping it as the fantasy and not seeing the fallout. I guess because we see the fallout so much in real life that's what makes it lose it's luster as opposed to when we watch the movie.

Does that make sense at all?
Yes. That does make sense.