Beer, Devon Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1. A Sort Of Homecoming - New Age bullshit about snow. We knew you were on the stuff, Bono, but you didn't have to write about it/10
2. Pride - Stop trying to be Arcade Fire, you pack of fucks/10

Wire is cool. Not sure they should have put two rockers like this on UF though.

I beg our Exec Producer to hire Gus for hoops at least once a week.

One day you will get to him. One day.

I love that "Wire" was on an episode of Miami Vice. Also, The Unforgettable Fire Documentary on the Slane DVD is fucking awesome.

Later, Khan.

Ashley, yes, it's hard to guess that I like ASOH, just no clues at all. :)

Glad you love UF so much. I do too. Unlike you, though, when it comes to ASOH, I've never once thought that I disliked it.

My moment of doubt came when I tried to figure out what the song was about :uhoh:

I've been trying to make it up to the song ever since, but he's hard to please :sigh:

I rarely complain about set lists, because what's the point? I totally understand why they play what they play. But, I truly wish they'd do away with Bullet, One and Pride. :shrug: It'll never happen, though, and likely shouldn't happen anyway...but that would be my wish. That, and to one time hear ASOH LIVE, followed by One Tree Hill. Explode = me at that point.

This album is sooooooooooooooooooo awesome.

Until Promenade, that is. I lose interest after that.

I've always interpreted those songs to be akin to the idea of paradise being lost. "Ultra Violet" deals with the unrest of re-entering a broken relationship (The "I remember, when we were sleeping on stones..." verse really helps), while "Acrobat" expands upon that idea, going more into the one guy's self-doubt and insecurities; the guy wants to be flexible and fix his mistakes, but he has no idea where to start. I think the lyrics throughout reflect that idea.

Again, it's my own interpretation so no big deal if you don't agree.

Sorry, trying to keep up with the thread caused me to miss this. Honestly, I just don't see that at all. The two songs to me seem to be about completely different things, and through pure tracklisting accident neighbour each other. It's like putting SBS and TTTYAATW together and trying to tell me they somehow thematically connect, you know?

God, the end of Wire is fucking incredible every single time. :drool:

And now for the perfection of UF's title track.

One day you will get to him. One day.

I love that "Wire" was on an episode of Miami Vice. Also, The Unforgettable Fire Documentary on the Slane DVD is fucking awesome.

God I hate my stepmom for stealing my copy of Slane. I've never seen it, because, even though I know for fact my dad bought it for me for Christmas, she "misplaced" it and I never received it. Dad's 99% sure she took it back to the store (I'm 99% sure it's because she hates me)

1. A Sort Of Homecoming - New Age bullshit about snow. We knew you were on the stuff, Bono, but you didn't have to write about it/10
3. Wire - "I'm no dope, I give you hope?" Ugh/10

UF is such an amazing album. It was one of the first albums I ever bought, and, I literally could not stop listening to it. I was 13 or 14 and could not believe what I was hearing. Sigh.

I rarely complain about set lists, because what's the point? I totally understand why they play what they play. But, I truly wish they'd do away with Bullet, One and Pride. :shrug: It'll never happen, though, and likely shouldn't happen anyway...but that would be my wish. That, and to one time hear ASOH LIVE, followed by One Tree Hill. Explode = me at that point.

I think all three will have their hiatuses at some point, surely. Maybe not long ones, but at least something. Unless U2 really do think their audience is stupid and hasn't wised up to the fact they keep getting the same stock-standard hits over and over again.

With regards to Bullet, I didn't support it being dropped until the very lacklustre Vertigo version. The solo was unbelievably lame.

Indeed.

I think they should rotate those songs out and not feel obligated to play them all at the same time, you know?

7-8 new songs
6-7 "classics", rotated
some rarities thrown in every night, maybe do an album-themed night or something

I don't know. Radiohead's sets intrigue me because they play most of the same stuff every night, but switch the order up and throw in tracks they didn't play the night before. It keeps things fresh and rewards new and old fans the way any popular, viable band should.

The guitar solo in TUF really seals it for me, though it always kinda reminds me of something from the Goldeneye video game :hmm:

K, so my friend Greg was listening to Wire and interpreted the end of Wire like this, starting with hearing 'won't you do it now' as moisturizer.

Greg: HOO
Greg: HUH
Greg: moisturizer
Greg: that's right
Greg: JACK JACK JACK JACK KURT GLEN IM UP YOUR BOAT

:lmao:

UF is the perfection of atmospheric rock, I don't care what anyone says.

Sorry, trying to keep up with the thread caused me to miss this. Honestly, I just don't see that at all. The two songs to me seem to be about completely different things, and through pure tracklisting accident neighbour each other. It's like putting SBS and TTTYAATW together and trying to tell me they somehow thematically connect, you know?

God, the end of Wire is fucking incredible every single time. :drool:

And now for the perfection of UF's title track.

I see what you mean, but that example doesn't work. The two songs you mentioned are not written within the same context, let alone the same album. I would try and make that same connection with those songs even if they weren't placed next to each other on that same album though.

You can make a case to compare "Sunday..." and "Please" though, because the subject matter relates to each other, even if they're on different albums and from a different period.

I think all three will have their hiatuses at some point, surely. Maybe not long ones, but at least something. Unless U2 really do think their audience is stupid and hasn't wised up to the fact they keep getting the same stock-standard hits over and over again.

With regards to Bullet, I didn't support it being dropped until the very lacklustre Vertigo version. The solo was unbelievably lame.

I just have seen U2 at least 30 times since 1987 and Bullet has been played each time. Pride, too, and One every time but the one JT Tour show I saw. So, for me personally, truly that's enough. Then again, they could play New Year's Day, let's say, every time and that would be ok with me. It's all personal tastes and such, and I bet the people that go nuts for One don't see them nearly as often as I do in the first place.

But for me, their concerts are so special that even if the set list mirrors what I just heard the night before, it matters little. That's just me, others might deem that a total waste of time and money, and I get that.

TUF is about a vampire taking a mortal woman to a carnival on a date. He's in love with her, but their love can never beeee!

200px-Star11.jpg

3. Wire - "I'm no dope, I give you hope?" Ugh/10
4. The Unforgettable Fire - This came out in 1984? Why I am I not surprised?/10

The two songs you mentioned are not written within the same context though, let alone the same album. I see what you mean, but that example doesn't work.

Well, this was my point entirely. UV and Acrobat seem to be coming from such totally different places that mentally I cannot at all connect them, just like you cannot at all connect SBS and TTTYAATW. Or if you would prefer something from the same era, SBS and THBAO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom