Beer, Devon Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And now for the awesomeness of Love Is Blindness. If it weren't for Exit/MOTD, it and Acrobat would indisputably be the best closing duo on any U2 album. LIB brings the haunting atmosphere in a big way.

I'm surprised you guys dig SYCMIOYO. To me, it's another Stuck In A Moment - I'd actually say it's even more plodding, but the fact the mixing doesn't totally kill the sincerity negates that.

I agree with El-Mel's assessment. Bono really pours everything he's got into that song... it really moved me live.

"Stuck" acoustic fixes some of the cheese, but it really does sound like inspirational, pick-me-up bullshit that I'd expect from lesser bands, not U2.

Doesn't make an iota of difference to me, honestly, but I'm sorry that others were so bugged by it.

I meant the single and the video and hearing ti on the radio all the time, but I screwed up when I was trying to highlight in your post what I was referring to, and by the fact that I never fully explain what I mean > :reject:

1. Zoo Station - Cool intro/10
2. Even Better Than The Real Thing - Better live/10
3. One - Cliche-ridden pus/10
4. Until The End Of The World - Outro makes Chris Martin cry/10
5. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - Big dumb pop song about horses; where's Cori when we need her?/10
6. So Cruel - Just give me some roses and a box of chocolates and shut up/10
7. The Fly - Could Edge be mixed any lower?/10
8. Mysterious Ways - Exotic drums? I call it pretentious bullshit/10
9. Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World - Hangovers aren't fun to listen to, sorry/10
10. Ultraviolet (Light My Way) - Baby, please shut the fuck up/10
11. Acrobat - The most frightening this about this song is that U2 sucks too much on their instruments to play it live/10

Love Is Blindness. It's dark. A candle is burning. I feel an epiphany coming on.

By the way, folks, the following are the best live versions of LIB ever.

1992-05-29: snippet of He Wishes For The Cloths Of Heaven
1992-05-31: snippets of He Wishes For The Cloths Of Heaven and September 1913
1992-06-01, 04, 13: snippet of September 1913
1993-07-29: snippet of All Along The Watchtower (I'd say this is the pick of the bunch)

All the snippets are fucking amazing and haunting and incredible.

Time for UF. Join in, Ashley.

God, I love the intro to ASOH.

By the way, welcome to Axver's gushfest.

I think that's really what I love most about this album. The fact that they successfully told a story, without seeming to push it too far.

Chass wrote an amazing narrative to go along with the album, and it made it so much more to me.

Now I really wanna listen to it...soon *steeples fingers Mr. Burns style*
No, not just a narrative. I am writing a MOVIE MUSICAL to go along with the album. Gotta shuffle things a bit though and throw some Zooropa songs in for balance.

'Ver, I love the "All Along the Watchtower" version. I think you sent it to me when we did our fake setlist party. That set was fucking epic.

Time for UF. Join in, Ashley.

God, I love the intro to ASOH.

By the way, welcome to Axver's gushfest.

:hyper: Oh God!

No, not just a narrative. I am writing a MOVIE MUSICAL to go along with the album. Gotta shuffle things a bit though and throw some Zooropa songs in for balance.

Well you wrote a narrative for me to explain things :wink:

1. Zoo Station - Cool intro/10
2. Even Better Than The Real Thing - Better live/10
3. One - Cliche-ridden pus/10
4. Until The End Of The World - Outro makes Chris Martin cry/10
5. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - Big dumb pop song about horses; where's Cori when we need her?/10
6. So Cruel - Just give me some roses and a box of chocolates and shut up/10
7. The Fly - Could Edge be mixed any lower?/10
8. Mysterious Ways - Exotic drums? I call it pretentious bullshit/10
9. Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World - Hangovers aren't fun to listen to, sorry/10
10. Ultraviolet (Light My Way) - Baby, please shut the fuck up/10
11. Acrobat - The most frightening this about this song is that U2 sucks too much on their instruments to play it live/10
12. Love Is Blindness - Emo/10

Overall, I feel the 8.5/10 I traditionally give the album is entirely fair.

UF is up. A Sort Of Homecoming makes me feel fizzy inside.

It wears its heart on its sleeve like Stuck, but they're not even comparable IMO. Stuck is cheesy pandering bullshit, while the other is very personal and considerably more subtle. They never should have released it as a single.

See, I just find SYCMIOYO is stylistically an incredibly boring song that goes nowhere. I think I fell asleep during it at U2 3D once. It's got the sincerity, but some of the lyrics are really dodgy and it's just not very musically effective.

And speaking of it live, Bono - quit it with the over-obvious hand gestures.

See, I just find SYCMIOYO is stylistically an incredibly boring song that goes nowhere. I think I fell asleep during it at U2 3D once. It's got the sincerity, but some of the lyrics are really dodgy and it's just not very musically effective.

And speaking of it live, Bono - quit it with the over-obvious hand gestures.

UGH! The Hand gestures!

I'm a minute or two behind you, Ax. :lol:

How the hell did that happen? I thought you began about 30 seconds or so ahead of me! :lol:

The wind will crack in wintertime
This bomb-blast lightning waltz
No spoken words
Just a screaaaaaaaaaaaammmm

Fuck yeah. God, this song is so well-written.

Do any of you guys agree with my assessment of "Ultra Violet" / "Acrobat"?

Oh, and fuck you, "Fix You." If you were a person, I wish you were dead.

How the hell did that happen? I thought you began about 30 seconds or so ahead of me! :lol:

The wind will crack in wintertime
This bomb-blast lightning waltz
No spoken words
Just a screaaaaaaaaaaaammmm

Fuck yeah. God, this song is so well-written.

Paused it to shut the lights off and get my epiphany candle of Truth.

God, I love this song.

And the only song we actually get to know the lyrics of :lol:

God I can't wait for this remaster...they better not fuck this up.

The vocals on this song are so beyond brilliant

Do any of you guys agree with my assessment of "Ultra Violet" / "Acrobat"?

Oh, and fuck you, "Fix You." If you were a person, I wish you were dead.

Whether or not it happened on purpose, that's the feeling I get when I listen to those two songs

And I think I have NEVER had the displeasure of hearing that song, honestly.

'Ver, I love the "All Along the Watchtower" version. I think you sent it to me when we did our fake setlist party. That set was fucking epic.

Ah, cool. I knew I'd sent it out before - glad you've heard it.

Time for Pride. I know I rant about it live all the time, but I have always, always loved the studio version. Part of why I want it dropped from the live set so badly is because of how much I love the studio version. Edge's guitar just rings so beautifully cleanly, and it has almost never sounded so pristine live (despite the fact there ARE a couple of live performances out there where they do get it right).

ASOH is a fucking miracle of a song. Been listening to it since the day UF was released and I bought it on cassette. Were any of you even born then? I'm old. Fuck. But ASOH is timeless. :drool:

It's like your Bat Signal.

How's the trip so far?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom