Beer, Devon Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hated So Cruel the first time I heard it. I thought it was slow and boring and too long. Then I got into it and I really like it. It's simple but nice. Reminds me of relationships I've been in. That song could totally be about me.

Just because I can relate to some of the lyrics doesn't stop it from being a boring, plodding, over-wrought song that goes nowhere.

OH FUCK YES, THE FLY.

Here we goooo. :drool:

When Bono changed the lyrics at the end of TFT in Chicago (I didn't throw away the key) I was curious if maybe that meant something.

These days I think he just forgot the lyrics :sigh:

I don't know, it probably was a purposeful change.

Maybe it was the whole "writing as someone else" idea that freed him to be the more adventurous and creative songwriter that I've always thought of him to be. Even songs that aren't that exciting musically (Ultra Violet, So Cruel, Love Is Blindness) are anchored by what I consider extremely powerful verse, you know?

"Love Is Blindness" is flat-out awesome live, but like I said before, I find the album cut lacking.

"The Fly" could be my favorite U2 song. It used to be my clear favorite for a long time, before I got pretty deep into their '80s material. Now I'd say it's a toss-up between "The Fly", "Streets", "Homecoming", "Bad", and "Please".

Has Reggo passed out?

That's like one of my favorite boots if it's the one I'm talking about

"When I was all fucked up" ~ Ultraviolet :rockon:

Oh fuck, you just reminded me Ultra Violet's still to come.

I hate you.

When Bono changed the lyrics at the end of TFT in Chicago (I didn't throw away the key) I was curious if maybe that meant something.

These days I think he just forgot the lyrics :sigh:
This is why you need to read U2 at the End of the World. There's a thing when they were recording the song, where originally the lyric was going to be about the son accepting the father's salvation or whatever, but at the last minute, presumably due to Bono's own difficulties with his father, he couldn't bring himself to sing it the way he'd written it, and changed it.

It makes sense that he'd change it in the wake of his father's death.

Controversial opinion: the definitive version of The Fly is the Vertigo Tour version.

1. Zoo Station - Cool intro/10
2. Even Better Than The Real Thing - Better live/10
3. One - Cliche-ridden pus/10
4. Until The End Of The World - Outro makes Chris Martin cry/10
5. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - Big dumb pop song about horses; where's Cori when we need her?/10
6. So Cruel - Just give me some roses and a box of chocolates and shut up/10

The Fly is a goooooooooood song.

That's cool, Khan. "Stay" is in my Top 10 though. The video for it is perfect, too.

I'd sound like Screwy if I went into my love for this song, so I will stop.

I don't know, it probably was a purposeful change.

Maybe it was the whole "writing as someone else" idea that freed him to be the more adventurous and creative songwriter that I've always thought of him to be. Even songs that aren't that exciting musically (Ultra Violet, So Cruel, Love Is Blindness) are anchored by what I consider extremely powerful verse, you know?

"Love Is Blindness" is flat-out awesome live, but like I said before, I find the album cut lacking.

"The Fly" could be my favorite U2 song. It used to be my clear favorite for a long time, before I got pretty deep into their '80s material. Now I'd say it's a toss-up between "The Fly", "Streets", "Homecoming", "Bad", and "Please".

I may not like all of the music on Achtung and Zooropa, (and to a lesser extent Pop) but I have to agree there is some stuff lyrically remarkable on those albums that just does not exist at the present.

I can sit here and hope that will change all I want, but if Bono's going to continue to prattle on about Africa, and Love, I don't see that happening.

Controversial opinion: the definitive version of The Fly is the Vertigo Tour version.

I could see that. It rocks harder than the ZooTV version, that's for sure.

The version from Elevation Boston still wows the fuck out of me. It's so different that it kicks ass, you know?

IT'S NO SECRET THAT THE STARS ARE FALLING FROM THE SKY
THE UNIVERSE EXPLODING 'CAUSE OF ONE MAN'S FUCKIN' LIE!

Oh fuck, you just reminded me Ultra Violet's still to come.

I hate you.

:wink: I do what I must

This is why you need to read U2 at the End of the World. There's a thing when they were recording the song, where originally the lyric was going to be about the son accepting the father's salvation or whatever, but at the last minute, presumably due to Bono's own difficulties with his father, he couldn't bring himself to sing it the way he'd written it, and changed it.

It makes sense that he'd change it in the wake of his father's death.

Well then, that does answer some questions.

Still not reading that book anytime soon though :wink: I still haven't read U2 By U2 *looks at it sitting in the closet accusingly*

I'll agree since I actually saw that one live verses any other one :lol:

FUCK YOU SIREN!

Ok, I'm ready for TUF whenever you guys are :wink:

I may not like all of the music on Achtung and Zooropa, (and to a lesser extent Pop) but I have to agree there is some stuff lyrically remarkable on those albums that just does not exist at the present.

I can sit here and hope that will change all I want, but if Bono's going to continue to prattle on about Africa, and Love, I don't see that happening.

He writes in different mindsets, I think. Right now, it's the "trying to write the perfect pop song / be like Paul and John" line of thinking, at least that's what it seems like to me. I don't expect him to write the same way he did in the '90s, he'd just be repeating himself, but I would love for there to be less filler and more powerful verse again, you know? They're just too far and in-between for my liking nowadays.

Also, a snippet of Porcupine Tree's This Is No Rehearsal would fucking rock so hard at the end of The Fly. It'd fit perfectly over the band rocking the end out.

This is no rehearsal
Play it back and throw things at the screen
This is no rehearsal
Somebody interpret this for me
This! Is! No! Rehearsal!
PLAY IT BACK AND THROW THINGS AT THE SCREEN!

We're going to be a while. :wink: You can jump into Mysterious Ways though.

I'm gonna resist since I haven't heard this album in so long, and I wanna experience it all at once

(plus a personal HATRED of that song. Like Axver's hatred of One level hatred)

The Fly used to be my favorite U2 song. It isn't now by any stretch, but it's a lovely clatter, I must say.

1. Zoo Station - Cool intro/10
2. Even Better Than The Real Thing - Better live/10
3. One - Cliche-ridden pus/10
4. Until The End Of The World - Outro makes Chris Martin cry/10
5. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - Big dumb pop song about horses; where's Cori when we need her?/10
6. So Cruel - Just give me some roses and a box of chocolates and shut up/10
7. The Fly - Could Edge be mixed any lower?/10

Mysterious Ways sort of made me the hardcore fan I am today.

Ashley, U2 at the End of the World is a great read. I think I've read it 2-3 times and still love it.

I haven't even opened U2 by U2 and I got it 2 Christmases ago. I'll delve into it when I hit my U2 Peak around September/October.

MW's studio version at least picks up and is quite catchy at the end. Still, it has NOTHING on the live version, and the fact I'm accustomed to the live version makes me feel like it ends far, far too quickly.

Oh god, TTTYAATW. I think I'll go grab a drink if this bores me too much.

Oh God not again :yikes:

He writes in different mindsets, I think. Right now, it's the "trying to write the perfect pop song / be like Paul and John" line of thinking, at least that's what it seems like to me. I don't expect him to write the same way he did in the '90s, he'd just be repeating himself, but I would love for there to be less filler and more powerful verse again, you know? They're just too far and in-between for my liking nowadays.

Yeah, all thing's must come to an end, even the 90s. I'm just ready for this current radio trend to end. I want something emotionally stirring from them again that's all I really want. I can't really think of anything on the last two albums that got me in such a way.

I've figured it out; the reason Mysterious Ways is so addicting to me is the bass line. That's cracking stuff. Too bad the mixing snuffs it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom