Beer, Devon Superthread - Page 40 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-12-2008, 03:05 AM   #586
The Male

Local Time: 07:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMacPhisto View Post
I think it's plausible because of the stuff about Edge's divorce and Bono's constant angst during that time period, but I can see why people would disagree.
The main reason I don't buy into it is because of the reports of how they threw the track listing together at the last minute. No way could they have conceived a storyline like that in a couple of hours.

Now.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:06 AM   #587
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 09:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bono_212 View Post
I can't deny Walk On Got me into the band. And I think if I were to go back to listen to the album again it would stir emotions again (God I'm just now realizing how long this U2 break has been that's another album I haven't listened to in about a year.) but...I don't know...maybe a few lines from WILATW, and Stuck ( ) but not much else

There's stuff on Bomb that's good, but again, nothing...nothing I can just point out and say, that was good writing right there Bono.

Not like the 80s, not like the 90s. There is no RTSS for the 00s.
I definitely agree. We'll always have the older material to listen to, but I still hope there's a few that'll crop up to put next to that stuff and hold its own, you know?

Old 07-12-2008, 03:06 AM   #588
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
That's cool.

I remember trying to write a sprawling narrative story that stretches across every U2 album a few years back. I wasn't creative enough to finish it or make it any good, maybe I'm still not, but it's an intriguing idea.
Man that would be a piece of work. You've got a least one person who'd like to hear it
Old 07-12-2008, 03:07 AM   #589
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 02:54 AM
Quote:
I think it's plausible because of the stuff about Edge's divorce and Bono's constant angst during that time period, but I can see why people would disagree.
Yeah, I can see where you're coming from and it doesn't surprise me too much that people have tried to read that into the album, but it's not something that even entered my head until I saw a couple of Achtung fans here try to argue there's a story. I don't see much of a thematic connection at all between, say, UV and Acrobat. And it just doesn't strike me as something that would occur to U2 to do, especially given the way they create albums.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-12-2008, 03:07 AM   #590
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonMelon View Post
The main reason I don't buy into it is because of the reports of how they threw the track listing together at the last minute. No way could they have conceived a storyline like that in a couple of hours.
Hmm, I had never heard about it.

Intentional or not, I think it benefits the album.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:08 AM   #591
The Male

Quote:
I definitely agree. We'll always have the older material to listen to, but I still hope there's a few that'll crop up to put next to that stuff and hold its own, you know?
Beautiful Day
Kite
When I Look At The World
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
COBL (especially live)

Are all right up there in the U2 pantheon IMO. Great songs, even if you may be tired of them.

Now.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:08 AM   #592
Vocal parasite

ACRO-FUCKING-BAT.

*turns volume up to maximum*

... damn, these little iPod headphones are crappy and too quiet.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-12-2008, 03:09 AM   #593
Vocal parasite

I'm surprised you guys dig SYCMIOYO. To me, it's another Stuck In A Moment - I'd actually say it's even more plodding, but the fact the mixing doesn't totally kill the sincerity negates that.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-12-2008, 03:09 AM   #594
The Male

1. Zoo Station - Cool intro/10
2. Even Better Than The Real Thing - Better live/10
3. One - Cliche-ridden pus/10
4. Until The End Of The World - Outro makes Chris Martin cry/10
5. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses - Big dumb pop song about horses; where's Cori when we need her?/10
6. So Cruel - Just give me some roses and a box of chocolates and shut up/10
7. The Fly - Could Edge be mixed any lower?/10
8. Mysterious Ways - Exotic drums? I call it pretentious bullshit/10
9. Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World - Hangovers aren't fun to listen to, sorry/10
10. Ultraviolet (Light My Way) - Baby, please shut the fuck up/10

Now.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:09 AM   #595
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
I don't know, the possibility that it happened by accident makes it even more intriguing

Quote:
Exactly. There's always hope for the next album. I just hope what happened the first night I listened to The Bomb doesn't happen with this album. I remember listening to the Bomb that night, and as I listened this terrible feeling rose in me that in a few months I wouldn't like the album anymore, even though at that moment in time I was loving it. It was only a few months later that I realized why I felt like that. I never found any lyric or idea in it to latch onto. I mean, the only song off that album that I still find riveting is COBL, and that's more for the music then the actual lyrics.

But, I still keep coming back, so obviously there's still enough good in the music for me to want more.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:10 AM   #596
Vocal parasite

Fuck, the end of Acrobat has got to be one of the most amazing minutes of music U2's ever recorded.

Fucking fuck yes.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-12-2008, 03:11 AM   #597
The Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
I'm surprised you guys dig SYCMIOYO. To me, it's another Stuck In A Moment - I'd actually say it's even more plodding, but the fact the mixing doesn't totally kill the sincerity negates that.
It wears its heart on its sleeve like Stuck, but they're not even comparable IMO. Stuck is cheesy pandering bullshit, while the other is very personal and considerably more subtle. They never should have released it as a single.

Now.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:11 AM   #598
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axver View Post
Yeah, I can see where you're coming from and it doesn't surprise me too much that people have tried to read that into the album, but it's not something that even entered my head until I saw a couple of Achtung fans here try to argue there's a story. I don't see much of a thematic connection at all between, say, UV and Acrobat. And it just doesn't strike me as something that would occur to U2 to do, especially given the way they create albums.
I've always interpreted those songs to be akin to the idea of paradise being lost. "Ultra Violet" deals with the unrest of re-entering a broken relationship (The "I remember, when we were sleeping on stones..." verse really helps), while "Acrobat" expands upon that idea, going more into the one guy's self-doubt and insecurities; the guy wants to be flexible and fix his mistakes, but he has no idea where to start. I think the lyrics throughout reflect that idea.

Again, it's my own interpretation so no big deal if you don't agree.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:12 AM   #599
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
It wears its heart on its sleeve like Stuck, but they're not even comparable IMO. Stuck is cheesy pandering bullshit, while the other is very personal and considerably more subtle. They never should have released it as a single.

That killed the song for me I think.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:12 AM   #600
Vocal parasite

And now for the awesomeness of Love Is Blindness. If it weren't for Exit/MOTD, it and Acrobat would indisputably be the best closing duo on any U2 album. LIB brings the haunting atmosphere in a big way.

Gig pictures | Blog

Tags
superthread