Beckham Signs $250 Million Dollar Contract to come to L.A. Galaxy - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2007, 05:29 PM   #61
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:50 PM
My cat is named Beckham, do we have to now pay more money for his food? Do we have to get him a new cat bed?

The other cat by the way is named Posh.

Old 01-11-2007, 05:45 PM   #62
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:20 PM
Great, now Victoria can buy more stupid hats

Old 01-11-2007, 05:46 PM   #63
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by StlElevation
hmm.

my interest level in soccer went from

non existant to non existant.

carry on.
Old 01-11-2007, 05:53 PM   #64
New Yorker

Local Time: 04:50 PM
Tell u this ....... U know when football will get big in the US , when people start calling it Football ....... Get another name for that another sport ......

I Mean Not beginnin a discussion here , but a guy runnin and protecting his ball with arm = football ???

Not sure if u remember , Fifa goes for Federation International of Football Association

Btw besides this Major League , is there any Champions league there ? Somethin like joinin Canadian and Mexican teams or something like ? A International competition ?
Old 01-11-2007, 06:01 PM   #65
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 11:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by J_NP
Tell u this ....... U know when football will get big in the US , when people start calling it Football ....... Get another name for that another sport ......

I Mean Not beginnin a discussion here , but a guy runnin and protecting his ball with arm = football ???

Not sure if u remember , Fifa goes for Federation Internation of Football Association

Btw besides this Major League , is there any Champions league there ? Somethin like joinin Canadian and Mexican teams or something like ? A International competition ?
Well, when the sport was first invented in England it was called "soccer", as a contraction for "association football". I am not sure, but I think snobby English types started calling it "football" once Americans picked up on it.

And I have no idea why MLS teams don't compete against other club teams in Mexico and South America.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:09 PM   #66
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by toscano

Well, having been in China during a major soccer tournament, (EURO 2000) I can tell you it certainly DOES capture the local interest and is extremely popular, lots of huddling around TV's on flatbed trucks in the middle of Shanghai in the wee hours, lotsall games live on TV, etc. Why would you say it's not very popular there ? Same in Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Korea, etc.

India ? Cricket fanatics. The european colonialism certainly left it's mark big-time. For whatever reason they took to it a lot more so than soccer.
This map seems to indicate that soccer is less popular in China than it is in the US, at least when measured by participation. It may be popular as a spectator sport in a major city like Shanghai, but that's different from actual participation in the sport nationwide.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:20 PM   #67
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

I am not sure, but I think snobby English types started calling it "football" once Americans picked up on it.
As it was snobby English types (At Eton I believe) who first came up with the name 'soccer' that would certainly be ironic!

No, seriously, I'd imagine the football/soccer nitpicking could get very annoying.
Old 01-11-2007, 06:30 PM   #68
New Yorker

Quote:

And I have no idea why MLS teams don't compete against other club teams in Mexico and South America.
I actually meant Concacaf , but yeah 3 countries only ......

Actually Mexico is the one that does that , competes in the Copa Libertadores , which is the South America Champions League ....

Now that u said , it would strange , S A teams X US teams .... Most Traditional SA teams would have the pressure of kickin US teams ..... but that would be a pretty big motivation to US teams , would be fun
Old 01-11-2007, 07:07 PM   #69
The Fly

Local Time: 05:50 PM
David Beckham has followed the same path selected by the English media that every other celebrity has.

He has been built up to a ridiculous status, put on a pedestal a mile high. However, the media eventually became bored of him after a few years, and for no reason at all (other than to sell newspapers) they decided to knock him down, like the blood thirsty bastards they are.

Hence, much of the English public now think that Beckham is only an average player at best. This critisism has spread throughout Europe. However, thankfully some fans have ignored this media crap, and can see Beckham for the quality player that he still is. I simply cannot accept that Beckham is past it or finished in football.

Well, that was until this afternoon when the news broke. There is no chance that Beckham will get back into the England team now he is in the US, no matter how well he plays. Such a waste of his last years. He could have, and should have moved to another European club. He still had the ability to play for a top club.l
Old 01-11-2007, 07:56 PM   #70
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I bet Mrs Beckham had something to do with this - I've heard she wants to make it in big in Hollywood. Her solo career flopped so now she's apparently trying her hand at something else.

And who knows, perhaps he was doing this for his pride and ego - in the past 6 months, he quit the Captaincy of England, was booted from said team and is no longer a starter for Real Madrid. In L.A. at least he'll probably end up finishing as the top-scorer.

Who knows if Beckham will have any effect on soccer/footy's popularity here in N. America; I did read an article stating that shortly after the announcement was made, the Toronto FC received over 500 calls inquiring about tickets. Who knows if those are regular soccer fans though

And yes, be happy soccer hasn't broken the U.S. - hockey isn't that big there yet it still rankles most of us hockey fans to see teams in places like Carolina and 3 cities in California when most people couldn't care less.
Old 01-11-2007, 08:08 PM   #71
New Yorker

Of Yeah , and forgot to say , people who found this great , don't forget to thank him ......

Old 01-11-2007, 09:38 PM   #72
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:50 AM
Big Grin Hewson...you can be such a funny ass sometimes! :up:

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoManiac

The signing will generate much more than $250 million globally, in sports paraphanelia alone.

In the short term it will generate interest in the sport across the US, or at least in the cities that have franchises. But, on it's own, the Beckham signing will not have much of an impact on the sport in the U.S.

However,what may happen, in the long term, is that more and more world-class players will follow Beckham's lead and come to North America. If Beckham has success players will regard MLS as a viable career option. Of course, if he flops then the status quo will prevail.

If more world-class players cross the pond this will have a huge impact on American soccer. For one, it may encourage the best American players to stay home rather than seeking employment in Europe. And two, the players that are already here will have the advantage of playing with better athletes which should, theoretically, allow them to grow and become better players themselves.

Everyone looks at the money, and it is an astronomical sum, but time is what is needed to accurately judge this deal. I, for one, will wait before judging the merits of this deal.
Excellent post.

I am not sure if they are going after the U.S. interest in MLS here by signing Beckham. I think this is a way to elevate the MLS on an international level. I am sure the MLS would love to be able to capture U.S. corporate dollars as we move to a global economy. They will do that by building interest in the MLS outside of the U.S. - and possibly recruit other international players with this type of cash. I am sure they would love for MLS to compete with other international league (knowing that the Premiership will always be THE league).

Cosmos and the league they played in tried something similar, but the world did not have the communication and entertainment media, as well as the corporate money, we have today.

As for U.S. talent vs. world talent....U.S. athletes strive to play our major sports, knowing that is where they think they can find money, fame and scholarships. These opportunites aren't as abundant in other countries - so they move towards football/soccer.

Finally...L.A. is the eprfect market for beckham to launch in the U.S. With a large Mexican-American population, the Galaxy actually succeed in drawing crowds! Now add Beckham!

I will pay to see Beckham...on the road.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:50 PM   #73
Refugee

Local Time: 09:50 AM
Quote:

This map seems to indicate that soccer is less popular in China than it is in the US, at least when measured by participation. It may be popular as a spectator sport in a major city like Shanghai, but that's different from actual participation in the sport nationwide.
so according to that map, soccer is co-#1, how do you figure that makes it less popular than in the US ?

"participants" doesn't mean "paying customers"

the proliferation of youth soccer in the us has not translated to popularity at the paying adult level , something it HAS done in China
Old 01-11-2007, 10:43 PM   #74
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by StlElevation
hmm.

my interest level in soccer went from

non existant to non existant.

carry on.
liar... you entered a soccer thread.

it went from zero to .0000000001
Old 01-11-2007, 11:07 PM   #75
LMP
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:50 AM
200 and 50 million dollars?

Really?

Why should anyone have that amount of money?

That's just crazy.